Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

When will we even get a Teaser for Episode 8.

You did, it was called The Force Awakens 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I like that General Hux(Domhnall Gleeson) survived the movie. Thought they were going do another General Moff Tarkin and kill him off. Plus I liked the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

When will we even get a Teaser for Episode 8.

Rogue One was more than likely have a trailer attached to it. I can't see them promoting episode 8 till after Rogue One is released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Rogue One was more than likely have a trailer attached to it. I can't see them promoting episode 8 till after Rogue One is released
    Prediction: Disney will put an Episode VIII trailer before Rogue One in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

py2006 wrote: »
    New book cover:

image-17.jpeg?w=1000

Well that's her right armed buggered...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

All of the people in here complaining and nitpicking about the Force Awakens should be thankful , I wanted to see it tonight for a 3rd time but the missus wanted to see Daddys Home the new comedy with Will Ferrel and Mark Walberg.....She wanted to walk out after 40 minutes of it words can't explain how bad it was

Star Wars for the 3rd time next week it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually saw Daddy's Home over the weekend, was pretty enjoyable for a Saturday afternoon movie. Not a laugh a minute but entertaining throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maybe its just us but never seen a packed cinema so quite for a comedy , I'm used to Will Ferrell being a lot funnier any way ya did i hear correctly there coming to film some stuff in Dingle in April for episode 8 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

So... everyone keeps banging on about Luke, Han or Obi Wan being Rey's father. The Obi Wan theory is gaining more and more traction lately but has anyone considered that maybe Rey is a niece, or grand niece or Obi Wan?

I watched the film for a 4th time tonight and the Obi Wan connections all fit well but it got me thinking, she doesn't have to be his daughter to be related and have the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think they shot for episode VIII last summer, for TFA back in 2014. Are you sure they are coming back again? I could be wrong like but I think I read that in the Irish Times online. I'll see can I find the link.

Found it! http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/jj-abrams-can-t-believe-filming-allowed-on-skellig-michael-1.2484598

Coming back to film for VIII in the summer apparently! :eek::D

I think I am going to go again. My friend laughed at me when I said I went twice to see TFA, and then walking past the Stormtrooper statue in the Light House she was like "look at that thing. what is it?" sigh. Even if you don't like star wars, surely you would know what a stormtrooper looks like and what "the dark side of the Force" means!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Wedwood wrote: »
    They could use the misguided belief in the idea of a prophecy as one of the reasons the Jedi where defeated. That way, the prequels stay, but the idea is ditched. They could do likewise re the midichlorians if necessary which leaves the prequels as is, but leaves that bad idea behind.

JJ Abrams' opinion midi-chlorians:
    I’m not someone who quite understands the science of the Force. To me Star Wars was never about science fiction — it was a spiritual story. And it was more of a fairytale in that regard. For me when I heard Obi-Wan say that the Force surrounds us and binds us all together, there was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us. I mean, thats what was said in that first film!
    And there I am sitting in the theater at almost 11 years old and that was a powerful notion. And I think this is what your point was, we would like to believe that when **** gets serious, that you could harness that Force I was told surrounds not just some of us but every living thing. And so, I really feel like the assumption that any character needs to have inherited a certain number of midi-chlorians or needs to be part of a bloodline, it’s not that I don’t believe that as part of the canon, I’m just saying that at 11 years old, that wasn’t where my heart was. And so I respect and adhere to the canon but I also say that the Force has always seemed to me to be more inclusive and stronger than that.
    I wonder if by trilogy's end the Force will have been awakened in everyone so that they all have the potential to become Force-wielders/Jedi (with a lot of zen and training) to bring the films back around to the presumed intent of the original trilogy.

Which in turn makes it much more difficult to unbalance the Force in the future and the Skywalker legacy is preserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Saw it for the second time tonight, last showing at the phenomena ... amazing stuff ..

And I actually heard Alex Guinness this time ! ;) - where did they get the "Rey" from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Saw it for the second time tonight, last showing at the phenomena ... amazing stuff ..

And I actually heard Alex Guinness this time ! ;) - where did they get the "Rey" from ?

Guinness saying "afraid".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Star Wars has overtaken Avatar at the US box office.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35249049?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

While I reckon there's hundreds if not thousands of films I'd rather see at the top of that chart (mostly Playtime), and while it's actually somewhat disheartening to see a major franchise sequel replace an original film (although I use 'original' lightly in Avatar's case), and while this record is about as surprising as The Village's twist (spoiler alert: not very) ... At the same time I can't help but deny a temporary hint of relief that something has finally put an end to the great mediocrity that is Avatar's rather puzzling reign of box office terror :pac:

Next stop: the goddamn world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Star Wars has overtaken Avatar at the US box office.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35249049?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

While I reckon there's hundreds if not thousands of films I'd rather see at the top of that chart (but mostly Playtime), and while it's actually somewhat disheartening to see a major franchise sequel replace an original idea... At the same time I can't help but deny a slight hint of relief that something has finally put an end to the great mediocrity that is Avatar's rather puzzling reign of box office terror :pac:

Still a fair bit off the Worldwide all time gross.
    The amount of money Avatar made globally is ludicrous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

? I don't get it ..

They took the "rai", which sounds like Rey, from the middle of afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

david75 wrote: »
    Saying you hate Force Awakens is the new 'I'm vegan' haha!
    Nah, not really. Sure there'sgoing to be some hate just because but it really is not a terribly well made movie.

I thought it looked great from the trailer, was excited to see it and want to like it... but I'm not sure I can.

I like it in the same was I like the new Star Trek. I accept it's not real Wars/Trek, that it has huge gaping holes that only Abrams seems to be able to pull off, but at a shallow, leave-your-brain-at-the-door level it's fun. As plenty of posters have shown it easy to completely pull it apart if viewed with anything other than a superficial glance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Nah, not really. Sure there'sgoing to be some hate just because but it really is not a terribly well made movie.

I thought it looked great from the trailer, was excited to see it and want to like it... but I'm not sure I can.

I like it in the same was I like the new Star Trek. I accept it's not real Wars/Trek, that it has huge gaping holes that only Abrams seems to be able to pull off, but at a shallow, leave-your-brain-at-the-door level it's fun. As plenty of posters have shown it easy to completely pull it apart if viewed with anything other than a superficial glance.

I hate this whole argument, at the end of the day it is a movie about magic in space ffs, it's hardly anybody doing a historical reenactment of true events! I watch all movies for the sole purpose of leaving my brain at the door to unwind. I work hard enough and have to think hard enough for a living, the last thing i'm going to do is sit in the cinema picking apart movies. Its a bit of fun, yes it leans heavily on ANH but it looked good and was enjoyable. End of...

The fact it sends so many people into overdrive and has folks coming up with all sorts of theories for years in anticipation of follow ups speaks for itself, you don't get that with Woody Allen movies.

Star Wars is never going to win an Oscar, except for maybe it scores but it's not setting out to. If you want to pick things apart take your notepad to the cinema for the movies that will be going up for best picture and go nuts. People need to relax and just have a little light hearted fun with this, I love the fact this universe still has kids going wild 4 decades after the original film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I hate this whole argument, at the end of the day it is a movie about magic in space ffs, it's hardly anybody doing a historical reenactment of true events!

It's science fiction not magic, needs to be semi-believable. Stuff like ignoring time or distance or physics for the sake of ridiculous spectacle takes away from any film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As plenty of posters have shown it easy to completely pull it apart if viewed with anything other than a superficial glance.

Actually, as plenty of other posters have shown, it's plenty possible to thoroughly enjoy the film with an engaged stance - and frankly I always feel engaging with any film's style, form, visual language, overall narrative structure, social/political context and more to be more thorough and illuminating levels of engagement than nitpicking plot holes (which, hands up, I consider perhaps the shallowest, least interesting form of contemporary film criticism, but if that's what people want to do then fair enough).

I don't get this urge to pigeonhole everybody who disliked or liked the film into neat little camps. I find it bizarre if I'm being honest. I know of plenty of passionate, knowledgable cinephiles who adore the film, and others who don't, others again who are in various spots in the middle. That's the way of things. We're all individuals. We all have different levels of engagement and enthusiasm for cinema. Diversity is a good thing. Everyone has come to their own response to the film on their own terms. Nobody is 'wrong', nobody is 'right' (well, unless they're being actively dishonest or misrepresenting the content). All we can do is be honest and confident about our own stance and try to articulate it convincingly. To dismiss the perfectly valid response of others is IMO unfair, and it's straight up impossible and disrespectful to presuppose how they came to that conclusion or dismiss them as brainless, superficial viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

david75 wrote: »

This is my least favourite Rey theory I'm afraid.

It's science fiction not magic, needs to be semi-believable. Stuff like ignoring time or distance or physics for the sake of ridiculous spectacle takes away from any film.

The force is not science... it's magic. magical powers that only a select few have. like wizards in medieval stories. And your average viewer does not have a degree in physics and most young children have no interest in the accurate depiction of time or distance, they just know that light speed means the Falcon is going super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The force is not science... it's magic. magical powers that only a select few have. like wizards in medieval stories

From the original trilogy this would have been my take on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I am pleasantly surprised how many people have gone to see the Force Awakens two, even three times :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would always have seen Star Wars as fantasy set in space myself, personally think it takes more than the presence of space ships and aliens to qualify as science fiction. The force is magic pure and simple, there's nothing semi believable about it at all The day a Star Wars chooses believability over spectacle will be a sad day for me.

It's more Science Fantasy, especially the originals.

That does not mean, however, that it should ignore the already set logic of the series or just mirroring the older plots.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would always have seen Star Wars as fantasy set in space myself, personally think it takes more than the presence of space ships and aliens to qualify as science fiction. The force is magic pure and simple, there's nothing semi believable about it at all The day a Star Wars chooses believability over spectacle will be a sad day for me.

This +100

"won't somebody pleeease think of the children!!" - Helen Lovejoy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Star Wars is to Science Fiction, in the same way James Bond is to Espionage; exaggerated, romanticised forms of the genre and tropes, and bare no serious resemblance to any specifics coincidentally present within.

The Force alone should be enough reason to park Star Wars far, far away from the 'hard' edge of the Science Fiction genre; can't imagine there'd' be any argument otherwise. As much as I love Star Wars, it ain't Science Fiction, not in any serious fashion

Advertisement