Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Star Wars is never going to win an Oscar, except for maybe it scores but it's not setting out to.

The original Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture, Lucas for Best Director, and Guinness for Best Supporting Actor, among other Oscars. In recent years, broadly similar genre fare such as Avatar and The Lord of the Rings trilogy have been in contention for (and in one case won) Best Picture. A Star Wars movie winning the big categories is far from unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Radiosonde wrote: »
    The original Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture, Lucas for Best Director, and Guinness for Best Supporting Actor, among other Oscars. In recent years, broadly similar genre fare such as Avatar and The Lord of the Rings trilogy have been in contention for (and in one case won) Best Picture. A Star Wars movie winning the big categories is far from unthinkable.

I genuinely didn't even know that! i'll have to take my super fan status off my profile ha! :o

You know what i mean though, these movies don't set out to win oscars in the way that say The Theory of Everything does with powerful performances or The Revenant tries to (Although i definitely don't think Leo is getting his Oscar for this one). They are supposed to be fun, adventure movies with loveable characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

From the Guardian today:
    latest ambitious fan theory regarding The Force Awakens’ mysterious First Order villain Supreme Leader Snoke suggests the character could be Darth Vader brought back from the dead. Fans have previously focused on a Sith Lord mentioned in the prequels, Darth Plagueis, when trying to come up with plausible arguments as to Snoke’s true identity. But the new theory points out that both villains have a large dent on the right hand side of their heads.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/07/samuel-l-jackson-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stars-lightsaber-fight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I hope not - he was redeemed at the end of ROTJ, it would really be sh!tting on the original films to cancel that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Vadar got blown up into a million pieces along with the Death Star. There's no resurrecting that. Who'd even be around with that kind of power to resurrect him. Also, if it's some sort of reincarnation, the matching scars (they don't even match properly, Snoke's is much deeper and longer) don't make sense as it's a new body.

EDIT: Actually no, he was cremated by Luke. Still don't see who could resurrect him though and the scars don't match.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bacchus wrote: »
    Vadar got blown up into a million pieces along with the Death Star. There's no resurrecting that. Who'd even be around with that kind of power to resurrect him. Also, if it's some sort of reincarnation, the matching scars (they don't even match properly, Snoke's is much deeper and longer) don't make sense as it's a new body.

no he didn't. Luke brought his body to Endor where it was cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He didn't. Luke took his body off the Death Star and burned it on Endor on a funeral pyre.

Regardless, I really doubt it's Vader. If anything, Snoke would have told Kylo Ren he was Vader to make him trust him even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

EDIT: Actually no, he was cremated by Luke. Still don't see who could resurrect him though and the scars don't match.

well ben kenobi came back to talk from the dead so its not totally out of the question .

IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN, I SHALL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

loyatemu wrote: »
    I hope not - he was redeemed at the end of ROTJ, it would really be sh!tting on the original films to cancel that out.

True, but wasn't the now retconned EU full of clones. There was Darth Maul clones and Palpatine clones all over the place.

So its not outside the realms of possibility that Vader could have been cloned and become Snoke over the years. The clone could have been created before Vader turned to the light, it could be a clone that never encountered Luke and just got darker.

I'm not saying I subscribe to this theory, I'd be quite happy to leave Vader out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    full of clones.

Yeah but then the whole scars thing is irrelevant since scars aren't genetic. Unless the clone somehow got deformed separately it should look like Anakin pre Obi Wan kicking his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Arghus wrote: »
    Still a fair bit off the Worldwide all time gross.
    The amount of money Avatar made globally is ludicrous!
    It's been out for 3 weeks and it's already made more money than Avatar made in its entire box office run. At this stage in its run, Avatar had grossed $430m. Some wild extrapolation suggests that if SW runs along the same lines it could finish grossing around $1.7bn in the US alone. And that's only in cinemas, never mind merchandising and rentals/DVD/BD sales.
    Yeah, you'd basically have to ignore the end sequence of ROTJ with Obi-wan, Yoda and Anakin all standing in row, in order for that to make sense.

My immediate thought with Snoke was that Sidious hadn't actually died at the end of ROTJ but managed to escape and establish the first order. This would explain the extreme deformation. It would also be long continuity, making Sidious/Palpatine the ongoing bad guy across the entire series.
    However it is stretching the boundaries of believeability somewhat to think he didn't die at the end of ROTJ. It would also make it him quite old for a human - though Yoda was 700 years old, so that's not an impossibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It's probably Darth Plagueis - and what we're seeing is not a hologram but actually his force ghost. A really big force ghost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd still prefer if Snoke wasn't Sith at all, and that the Sith were dead. Have the Knights of Ren & Snoke just be new baddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

seamus wrote: »
    However it is stretching the boundaries of believeability somewhat to think he didn't die at the end of ROTJ. It would also make it him quite old for a human - though Yoda was 700 years old, so that's not an impossibility.

If its Palpatine, it could be due to him supposedly learning how to survive death from Darth Plageuis.

That wouldn't explain how he survived the fall in the Death Star and its subsequent destruction and floating off to some place to become Snoke.

Snoke is probably just Snoke or Plageuis.
    It's probably Darth Plagueis - and what we're seeing is not a hologram but actually his force ghost. A really big force ghost. :)

I think you could see debris falling through the hologram near the end of the film, so he probably just a holo in those scenes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

fr0FJpa.jpg

A lot of the talk in this thread has me thinking, along with a tweet I saw the other day about "suspending disbelief" and movies.

The tweet was referencing why was Han Solo's ship not able to see that Boba Fett's Ship was following them on radar or whatever they use. I instantly just thought of a reason why (he's a bounty hunter, he probably has some sort of anti-detection thing!), and then started thinking my willingness to cut film makers slack in so many of these things that people are quick to call "plot holes."

Personally, within reason, I don't want movies to become explaining each and every detail just to avoid getting picked apart.
    It's Star Wars. If you're having problems with how Star Wars works, it just Isn't for you maybe.

no he didn't. Luke brought his body to Endor where it was cremated.
    Penn wrote: »
    He didn't. Luke took his body off the Death Star and burned it on Endor on a funeral pyre.

Regardless, I really doubt it's Vader. If anything, Snoke would have told Kylo Ren he was Vader to make him trust him even more.

In fact you are all mistaken, when he wis killed his body disappeared and he became part of the force! In the same way Obi Wan did when Vader killed him. Luke only took his armour to Endor to burn!

david75 wrote: »
    A lot of the talk in this thread has me thinking, along with a tweet I saw the other day about "suspending disbelief" and movies.

The tweet was referencing why was Han Solo's ship not able to see that Boba Fett's Ship was following them on radar or whatever they use. I instantly just thought of a reason why (he's a bounty hunter, he probably has some sort of anti-detection thing!), and then started thinking my willingness to cut film makers slack in so many of these things that people are quick to call "plot holes."

Personally, within reason, I don't want movies to become explaining each and every detail just to avoid getting picked apart.
    It's Star Wars. If you're having problems with how Star Wars works, it just Isn't for you maybe.

Stories need some kind of internal logic. Set it out at the start-ish and don't disregard just because you're too lazy in yoyr writing.
    Otherwise you end up with Transformers and Turtles

Stories need some kind of internal logic. Set it out at the start-ish and don't disregard just because you're too lazy in yoyr writing.
    Otherwise you end up with Transformers and Turtles

How long before Disney gives Michael Bay the reigns??:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

In fact you are all mistaken, when he wis killed his body disappeared and he became part of the force! In the same way Obi Wan did when Vader killed him. Luke only took his armour to Endor to burn!

It may imply but it doesn't actually show that.

quad_red wrote: »
    It may imply but it doesn't actually show that.

Never thought of it till now; I wonder how many of those troops running around in the background got to escape? And I often wondered why none of them stopped to help a clearly stricken Vader?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

seamus wrote: »
    It's been out for 3 weeks and it's already made more money than Avatar made in its entire box office run. At this stage in its run, Avatar had grossed $430m. Some wild extrapolation suggests that if SW runs along the same lines it could finish grossing around $1.7bn in the US alone. And that's only in cinemas, never mind merchandising and rentals/DVD/BD

There isn't a chance in hell that The Force Awakens will make $1.7bn in the US. No chance. It might break a billion, which is unprecedented, but it's numbers are beginning to come down at this stage. I'd wager that from after this weekend onwards it won't be grossing eye watering figures anymore. We're coming into the Oscar season, so some of the "prestige" pictures will start hoovering up available dollars.

It's true that at this point in it's run, percentage wise, Avatar stood to make nearly another 50% of it's final total from it's remaining weeks in cinemas. But Avatar got a boost from being an oscar frontrunner and the vast majority of people were still paying 3d premium prices to see it. This gave it amazing longevity. Maybe TFA will become the picture to beat this year after the nominations are announced. It's an open year, so who knows? But I doubt it. Anyways, so many people have already seen it and everyone, fan or not, is aware of it, that I can't imagine nominations are going to change it's financial trajectory, at least not unduly,

There's also a few variables that still give Avatar an global advantage. Avatar played well everywhere, whereas Star Wars does the bulk of it's business in The US and Europe. Currency rates were different back in 2009/10 - a strong dollar means, for example, what was twenty million gross in some country back in 2009, may only be worth, in real terms, fifteen million or so now. TFA could still do it, but it would be, from my perspective, highly unlikely. Avatar is so, so far ahead of everyone at the worldwide box office that it's probably beyond being caught, still. But second place is totally up for grabs and that's pretty extraordinary in and of itself!

Went to book a ticket to see it in iMax yesterday.

€19.50!!!

I've been in that screen for the hobbit premiere and I'm almost sure Savoy screen 1 is bigger than it. Can anyone verify or set me straight?

19.50...I can go see it almost three times for that in other cinemas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Thats something I actually never thought of before.

Has TFA beaten Titanic worldwide yet?

EDIT: I just checked and it hasn't beaten Jurassic World yet. At least according to Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Has TFA beaten Titanic worldwide yet?

EDIT: I just checked and it hasn't beaten Jurassic World yet. At least according to Wikipedia.

Its beaten Avatar which was the highest earning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

py2006 wrote: »
    Its beaten Avatar which was the highest earning?

It has only beaten Avatar in the U.S. Avatar Worldwide earnings is still number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Exactly, Star Wars is not hard Sci Fi , its fantasy , Neil de grasse Tyson was moaning about something in it , someone needs to tell him it's not interstellar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Penn wrote: »
    I'd still prefer if Snoke wasn't Sith at all, and that the Sith were dead. Have the Knights of Ren & Snoke just be new baddies.

Pretty sure Abrams said this was exactly the case.

Advertisement