Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So filming is taking place down in Kerry this summer.
    Looks like Rey is gonna be hanging out with Luke for a good while in episode 8
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/24993/

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Ive enjoyed this thread all the nit picking is hilarious. As a man who grew up loving star wars and now everyday has to watch some form of star wars all the films cartoon series and the games with my kids I think alot of people on here have lost sight that at the end of the day they are supposed to be Good fun. Trust me I watch the originals over and over again with my kids there are so many parts of ANH ESB and ROTJ that are a little unbelievable and have gaps . Ive always loved sci fi/ fantasy, things will never be to everyones liking but TFA for my money was great. When the opening credits rolled and my 3 year old and 5 Year old cheered and held both arms in the air rocky style well that brought me back to my childhood. TFA is not perfect but neither were the original three but thats the way I like it. Great fun and I cant wait for the next installments.
    .... and I think Rey is Lukes Daughter but would rather her have no connection at all

3dp_kyloren_movie.jpg

I wonder if that visor is polarized to protect him from harmful Reys

I see what you did there .very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Ive enjoyed this thread all the nit picking is hilarious. As a man who grew up loving star wars and now everyday has to watch some form of star wars all the films cartoon series and the games with my kids I think alot of people on here have lost sight that at the end of the day they are supposed to be Good fun. Trust me I watch the originals over and over again with my kids there are so many parts of ANH ESB and ROTJ that are a little unbelievable and have gaps . Ive always loved sci fi/ fantasy, things will never be to everyones liking but TFA for my money was great. When the opening credits rolled and my 3 year old and 5 Year old cheered and held both arms in the air rocky style well that brought me back to my childhood. TFA is not perfect but neither were the original three but thats the way I like it. Great fun and I cant wait for the next installments.
    .... and I think Rey is Lukes Daughter but would rather her have no connection at all
    3 year old !
    Didn't he get scared ?

My 4 year old had to leave inside out ! Xd !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't get this urge to pigeonhole everybody who disliked or liked the film into neat little camps. I find it bizarre if I'm being honest. I know of plenty of passionate, knowledgable cinephiles who adore the film, and others who don't, others again who are in various spots in the middle. That's the way of things. We're all individuals. We all have different levels of engagement and enthusiasm for cinema. Diversity is a good thing. Everyone has come to their own response to the film on their own terms. Nobody is 'wrong', nobody is 'right' (well, unless they're being actively dishonest or misrepresenting the content). All we can do is be honest and confident about our own stance and try to articulate it convincingly. To dismiss the perfectly valid response of others is IMO unfair, and it's straight up impossible and disrespectful to presuppose how they came to that conclusion or dismiss them as brainless, superficial viewers.

nor do I, which was my point. in response to:
    david75 wrote:
    Saying you hate Force Awakens is the new 'I'm vegan' haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pixelburp wrote: »
    Star Wars is to Science Fiction, in the same way James Bond is to Espionage; exaggerated, romanticised forms of the genre and tropes, and bare no serious resemblance to any specifics coincidentally present within.

The Force alone should be enough reason to park Star Wars far, far away from the 'hard' edge of the Science Fiction genre; can't imagine there'd' be any argument otherwise. As much as I love Star Wars, it ain't Science Fiction, not in any serious fashion

and I'm not arguing it is or should be hardcore scifi by any stretch. Space ships, laser blasters, weird alien are all perfectly fine and cool. Seeing a light in the sky when the beam is in a different solar system or seemingly finding the MF within 2 minutes after losing it for 10 years or the way the xwings fly in the cantina battle are just ****ing moronic though and detract from the film

(I think I just hate JJ Abrams tbh)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

and I'm not arguing it is or should be hardcore scifi by any stretch. Space ships, laser blasters, weird alien are all perfectly fine and cool. Seeing a light in the sky when the beam is in a different solar system or seemingly finding the MF within 2 minutes after losing it for 10 years or the way the xwings fly in the cantina battle are just ****ing moronic though and detract from the film

(I think I just hate JJ Abrams tbh)

That's just nitpickery, the answer to all of them is because it looks cool as ****. :D There's similar nonsense in the original trilogy too sure. Star Wars has always been about aesthetics and spectacle over believability.Real world physics/astrophysics have never applied to the universe.

nor do I, which was my point. in response to:

Perhaps you missed the endless pages here, and in person since it came it of people either giving people crap for liking the film and insulting them or sneering they haven't seen it cos it's ****e and who likes that crap anyways?
    Lucky you if so

The jakku missions thing inside the SW app really is cool. You can go into the hold of the falcon in a photoreal 3d thing
    9B3B3221-A05A-446F-B40C-58FB4846F0B5.jpg
    9B409ABE-81ED-4389-BDFA-260C750B2BED.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is it just me or does Ren's mask look like a ****ty BMX mask you'd get off Dealextreme for $5 after about three months in transit.

I like it. The presumably fake battle damage on it speaks to the poser part of his personality.

Heard that the ashes he leaves it on are Vaders ashes from endor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Falthyron wrote: »
    It has only beaten Avatar in the U.S. Avatar Worldwide earnings is still number 1.

Star wars opens in china on the 9th....it will bear avatar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Is it just me or does Ren's mask look like a ****ty BMX mask you'd get off Dealextreme for $5 after about three months in transit.

It kind've reminds me of Darth Ravan's mask from Knights of the Old Republic. In fact a lot of the Sith in those games wore similar masks in it.

star-wars-the-story-of-revan-the-jedi-must-be-told-in-a-movie-521476.jpg

darth_revan_by_bdraw2012-d8tgv3o.png

I want it to beat avatar. Simply cos I'm a Star Wars fan and force awakens is a better film than avatar. But even with India and China yet to open, I'm doubtful it can catch it.

Although there is this

A record that took Avatar seven months to set was broken by Star Wars in only twenty days.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/avatars-domestic-record.html?mid=facebook_nymag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

quad_red wrote: »
    It may imply but it doesn't actually show that.

Ah but he appears as a force ghost at the funeral ceremony, only those who have become one with the force can come back as a force ghost. Qui Gon Jinn, never disappeared when Darth Maul killed him, he was cremated at a later stage hence why he never came back as force ghost.

3 year old !
    Didn't he get scared ?

My 4 year old had to leave inside out ! Xd !

Yeah he loves star wars and Jurassic Park he doesnt really like things he should (he is nearly 4 in fairness)

Ah but he appears as a force ghost at the funeral ceremony, only those who have become one with the force can come back as a force ghost. Qui Gon Jinn, never disappeared when Darth Maul killed him, he was cremated at a later stage hence why he never came back as force ghost.

But it's Qui Gon that 'gets in touch' with Yoda and when yoda imparts this info to obi wan at the end of revenge of the Sith he does actually make it out like its never been done before. 'Im giving you something to study while you watch over the boy, an old friend gone has learned how communicate through the force'

Or words to that effect.

Petition to bring back Lucas to direct episode 9. I'd almost go for that given the guy they have hired is such a liability

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/07/fans-launch-petition-to-bring-george-lucas-back-to-direct-star-w/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

david75 wrote: »
    Petition to bring back Lucas to direct episode 9. I'd almost go for that given the guy they have hired is such a liability

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/07/fans-launch-petition-to-bring-george-lucas-back-to-direct-star-w/

I'm all for a petition against Trevorrow but Lucas to direct the film? When he's nearer to 80 years old and is cranky with how they've proceeded with the story going against his 'vision'? No thanks.

I'd love to see someone else take over, preferably JJ to return.

Vaders force ghost is gonna appear to Kylo all red n shimmery instead of the usual blue. Except it'll be Snoke fooling him. Which I think he is already in Force Awakens. The way he talks to the helmet suggests 'Vader' has already shown him dark side stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Devin Faraci nailing it on how much better Hans character and subsequent death could have been handled in force awakens.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/07/han-solo-all-things-must-pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

There are 3 episodes reasons why that shouldn't happen

Devin Faraci nailing it on how much better Hans character and subsequent death could have been handled in force awakens.

I don't agree with him but it's well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sorry, I would let one of you here direct it before letting Lucas back here the directors chair.

I agree Colin Trevorrow is probably not the best choice for ep 9 but Lucas is the last person on the planet that I would like to see direct another Star Wars film.

New collider Jedi council. These guys are great.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjeFoWLboA&sns=em

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Sorry, I would let one of you here direct it before letting Lucas back here the directors chair.

I agree Colin Trevorrow is probably not the best choice for ep 9 but Lucas is the last person on the planet that I would like to see direct another Star Wars film.

Let's get Peter Jackson on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Devin Faraci nailing it on how much better Hans character and subsequent death could have been handled .

To a certain extent it sounds like he's just complaining that there wasn't a five minute slow-motion scene of Han falling with a haunting musical track of a woman gently wailing, like Gandalf in the first LOTR.

But I do recognise what's he getting at - Solo's death in the movie had no real "punch" to it. And I think this is because TFA did very little in the way of filling in the backstory. We know thirty years have passed, they've explained that Luke and Han have done a legger, and then they reveal it's because of what Ren did.

But that's it. There's no real meat in the backstory. Ren is new and we haven't really got to know him very well. Rey has spoken to Han for all of five minutes screentime. Han hasn't really shown any serious emotion in terms of how he feels about Ren. So when he dies, it's somewhat like the death of an old cowboy. We feel some sorrow over it, but we haven't been made to feel like anyone in the SW universe would really give a f*ck about him passing.

Perhaps it would have been an idea to watch the original trilogy again before TFA to get yourself in the "mood", but you shouldn't really have to.

This is why I hold out some hope for an extended edition which adds more backstory, more meat, and gets you more emotionally invested in the characters rather than just enjoying the rollercoaster. I know the whole backstory is dealt with in books and graphic novels and whatever, but you can't assume the viewer has seen these. Perhaps they'll dive into it more in the next part, but then Solo's death should have occurred later.

But then that presents a problem, since Finn is the "new" Solo in effect - impulsive, selfish and somewhat clumsy, but intelligent and charming enough to get himself out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Let's get Peter Jackson on the phone.

If he hadn't made The Hobbit trilogy, there probably wouldn't be much objection.
    seamus wrote: »
    But I do recognise what's he getting at - Solo's death in the movie had no real "punch" to it.

Well I felt a punch from it. But I agree the Bluray will hopefully have a bit more character stuff and some added backstory, but mainly I would like a scene or 2 more mourning han. Show Chewbecca and Leia reacting and a few others.

Advertisement