Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What an asshole

Haha, I'd post that on my facebook but i'd be afraid of spoiling it for people who haven't seen Star Wars yet, and then that would make me an a*shole.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    aafcd07f00c5bbd9e1744ec17765668e

What an asshole

I'd key his car for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,613 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'd key his car for that.

i'd actually be surprised if someone doesn't smash that window in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

EPIC LIGHTSABER BATTLE!!! :D

I have booked my IMax ticket for tomorrow after work. I am really looking forward to it now.

Me to Boss "Can I leave a bit early tomorrow?"
    Boss to me "Sure, where are you off to?"
    Me to Boss "Im going to see Star Wars again"
    Boss *face palm

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Kylo should have kept the mask on until he met Han.
    Han should have asked him to take it off on the bridge so the audience could see he was just a boy.

One of the guys on collider Jedi council mentioned this and I wish he hadn't.

His point was the death of Han didn't have anything like the clout it should have cos they didn't give Han and Kylo a moment earlier n the film.
    I was thinking a perfect way to do it would be to have han seeing Kylo carrying Rey onto his ship, you do get a shot of Han seeing him. But had he called out Ben! At that moment, and cut to Kylo turning and stopping and looking at him but then just going on the ship and ignoring Han, it would have had a lot more powerful impact when their scene on the bridge comes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One of the guys on collider Jedi council mentioned this and I wish he hadn't.

His point was the death of Han didn't have anything like the clout it should have cos they didn't give Han and Kylo a moment earlier n the film.
    I was thinking a perfect way to do it would be to have han seeing Kylo carrying Rey onto his ship, you do get a shot of Han seeing him. But had he called out Ben! At that moment, and cut to Kylo turning and stopping and looking at him but then just going on the ship and ignoring Han, it would have had a lot more powerful impact when their scene on the bridge comes.

I don't think that would have worked. Kylo has Rey in his arms at the time. The whole point of the "Ben!" moment on the bridge is how it stops him dead in his tracks. Having this moment on its own earlier would have given the character away too early. And having him not remove his mask until the bridge scene would have been too late because we have to go into the bridge scene believing that Kylo can still be saved.

Kylo isn't humanised until the interrogation scene with Rey when he removes his mask in response to her calling him a monster. Up until this point we don't know what's under the mask. We're probably thinking he's scarred or even half-machine like Vader. But when he takes it off we realise he's still human. Around the same time Han has his conversation with Leia in which she tells him there's still good in Kylo. This scene is the reason Han tries to talk to Kylo on the bridge. There would have no reason for him to call out to him earlier.

I know Devin Faraci has argued that this shouldn't have been the case and Han should have been actively trying to find Kylo, but that's a different story and not the one the writers choose to tell. In the story they did tell, Han believes Ben is lost until Leia convinces him otherwise.

So I went to see TFA again, this time in IMAX in Cineworld. I had been dying to go to the IMAX for a long time but I didn't want to spend 20 quid on any auld movie.
    Who ever mentioned about the sound - I 100% agree! It was epic! I was absolutely blown away by it. I "felt" the "Force" of the score more, if you know what I mean. I think I appreciated it more and the beauty of it! It's just amazing.

I did not however like the 3D very much. The ads before it (abour 25 minutes worth) were in 3D and I almost felt motion sick during the ad for Warcraft. The picture is amazingly crisp and clear and giant BB-8 is just the cutest damn thing ever! But I dont think it added anything to it. I would have been much happier if it was just the 2D. But that is not to say I didn't enjoy every minute of it. The banter with Solo and Chewie is just gas, and Rey is just fantastic.

Now, there is something that has been bugging me and since no one else has commented on it I think it might just be my imagination. So feel free to laugh at me if I am going crazy. But I think (and I have thought this since the first time I saw the film, that Kylo Ren has a bit of a limp. I noticed it when he first stomps off the ship in the village on Jakku, and when he is stomping round on the star destroyer. Or is he just stomping. I dont know.
    Well he is going to have a big scar on his face in the next one ha ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

SarahBM wrote: »
    So I went to see TFA again, this time in IMAX in Cineworld. I had been dying to go to the IMAX for a long time but I didn't want to spend 20 quid on any auld movie.
    Who ever mentioned about the sound - I 100% agree! It was epic! I was absolutely blown away by it. I "felt" the "Force" of the score more, if you know what I mean. I think I appreciated it more and the beauty of it! It's just amazing.

I did not however like the 3D very much. The ads before it (abour 25 minutes worth) were in 3D and I almost felt motion sick during the ad for Warcraft. The picture is amazingly crisp and clear and giant BB-8 is just the cutest damn thing ever! But I dont think it added anything to it. I would have been much happier if it was just the 2D. But that is not to say I didn't enjoy every minute of it. The banter with Solo and Chewie is just gas, and Rey is just fantastic.

I've seen the movie twice, in normal cinema screens and in 2D, in your opinion is it worth it seeing it again in imax? I want to see it again but obviously the 20 quid price tag puts me off imax, is it worth it in your opinion?

I've seen the movie twice, in normal cinema screens and in 2D, in your opinion is it worth it seeing it again in imax? I want to see it again but obviously the 20 quid price tag puts me off imax, is it worth it in your opinion?

I think so. Especially if you have never been to Imax before. The sound was incredible. I love film scores so I really enjoyed that aspect. I would have preferred 2D but the 3D was cool when there were x fighter scenes and stuff.
    If you have a my cineworld account which is free, you get 10% off when you book online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Today is last day for Savoy Screen 1...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Saw this is 3D recently, which was pretty good I have to say. I haven't seen many 3D films but it was pretty cool if a bit dark - haven't seen the 2D to compare.

The film was entertaining overall but I thought the insta Jedi lightsaber skills was a bit lame and went against the Star Wars canon. I also felt that the CGI as too heavy in the second half and I didn't think the whole conflict between the new First Order and new Resistance (why? didn't the Rebels win the war - where the feck is the Alliance/Republic fleet?) was very well fleshed out.

The set design and music were top class Star Wars and the character banter was pretty decent too. A very decent Star Wars film but an average film overall.

Would have loved to see it in full iMax glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The film was entertaining overall but I thought the insta Jedi lightsaber skills was a bit lame and went against the Star Wars canon.

I liked that bit. For Finn it was the only weapon available to him and Kylo Ren was injured and kind of toying with him and when Finn proved somewhat competent, Kylo Ren took him down.

Rey on the other might hand have some training and it could be suppressed, plus she was kind of handy with that staff too.

So I don't think it went against canon, I think how well Finn and Rey did in the lightsaber battle was more of a reflection on strong Kylo Ren wasn't. Yes he was injured, but he still wasn't as strong (or as skilled) as he thought he was, and they nearly killed him, could have killed him.

Basically he is big wimpy coward pretending to be bad and thought he was way more skilled than he was and found that out the hard way. It doesn't mean they had insta skills, it means their opponent wasn't that much of a threat, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I liked that bit. For Finn it was the only weapon available to him and Kylo Ren was injured and kind of toying with him and when Finn proved somewhat competent, Kylo Ren took him down.

Rey on the other might hand have some training and it could be suppressed, plus she was kind of handy with that staff too.

So I don't think it went against canon, I think how well Finn and Rey did in the lightsaber battle was more of a reflection on strong Kylo Ren wasn't. Yes he was injured, but he still wasn't as strong (or as skilled) as he thought he was, and they nearly killed him, could have killed him.

Basically he is big wimpy coward pretending to be bad and thought he was way more skilled than he was and found that out the hard way. It doesn't mean they had insta skills, it means their opponent wasn't that much of a threat, in my opinion.

He was able to stop a blaster bolt in mid air. Pretty skilled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

That's one thing George Lucas was bang on about before damn near anyone. Far more valuable than all the different visual tech James Cameron has always been chasing after.

Fury Road from last year is another film where it's hard to overstate just how essential the sound design was. Absolutely central to the whole film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I agree with this completely. Ren is obviously very powerful with the force in some respects. But his actual training for lightsabre combat is probably minimal at best.

Would love to see him trained to a high level and let them raise the stakes in the next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

wally79 wrote: »
    He was able to stop a blaster bolt in mid air. Pretty skilled

That's more strength in the force than skill. He strikes me as someone who has a lot of raw power but not much in the way of finesse or self-discipline.

You can see it in his temper tantrums. He's clearly not calm during his fight with Finn and Rey either, continuously punching his wound. He doesn't have that calm assurance that older Sith or Jedi would've had.

Curious.
    The FA visual effects team talk about deleted scenes
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/01/the-force-awakens-vfx-team-discusses.html?m=1

And again, for anything me wondering about Reys insta force ability, I'll refer you to the films title. It's directing her to Luke and calling her to find him(hello there force flashback via Lukes lightsaber)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pretty awesome "VFX Before and After" reel created for Oscar voters:

https://vimeo.com/151719063

What really struck me is how much of the visual effects are invisible. For all the obvious stuff, there's a loads of other shots that it would never occur to you were digitally enhanced or even totally CGI. For example, lots people complain about the CGI characters like Snoke looking fake. But as this video reveals even Kylo is totally CGI in one of those Snoke scenes, which was originally shot with an unmasked Adam Driver before obviously the scene got moved forward in the film and instead of reshooting it they just did it with CGI.

This reminded me of how we only notice bad CGI, or at least CGI that must be CGI because we know there's no other way they did it. So even though there's more visual effects in The Force Awakens than in the prequels, it feels like there's less. Because Abrams's more grounded if less imaginative approach to the universe kind of fools you into thinking more of it was real than it probably was.

Thinking of this way really clarifies for me the problem with the CGI in the prequels. It wasn't the technology itself, it's was the way Lucas used it. He didn't use CGI the way he used traditional special effects in the OT. Hell, most directors don't even use CGI the same way they use traditional practical effects IN THE SAME FILM. See Sam Raimi's Spider-Man or Crystal Skull and watch how the film becomes cartoon-like the second they start using CGI. It's not the technology that's at fault most of the time, it's the way it is so often used to depict unrealistic actions or characters.

Something I've always wondered. If you're john Williams and you're scoring a film that's out in 18 months, do you start once you have the story from the writers? Or when you've seen a rough edit? Surely that's an intense pressure time wise?
    And how do you edit each piece of music to its scene?

I'd say that's an intense amount of work and pressure. Wonder how he does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Something I've always wondered. If you're john Williams and you're scoring a film that's out in 18 months, do you start once you have the story from the writers? Or when you've seen a rough edit? Surely that's an intense pressure time wise?

I think they get the pre-cg rough cut, so he's on a same time scale as the cg guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Pretty awesome "VFX Before and After" reel created for Oscar voters:

https://vimeo.com/151719063

What really struck me is how much of the visual effects are invisible. For all the obvious stuff, there's a loads of other shots that it would never occur to you were digitally enhanced or even totally CGI. For example, lots people complain about the CGI characters like Snoke looking fake. But as this video reveals even Kylo is totally CGI in one of those Snoke scenes, which was originally shot with an unmasked Adam Driver before obviously the scene got moved forward in the film and instead of reshooting it they just did it with CGI.

This reminded me of how we only notice bad CGI, or at least CGI that must be CGI because we know there's no other way they did it. So even though there's more visual effects in The Force Awakens than in the prequels, it feels like there's less. Because Abrams's more grounded if less imaginative approach to the universe kind of fools you into thinking more of it was real than it probably was.

Thinking of this way really clarifies for me the problem with the CGI in the prequels. It wasn't the technology itself, it's was the way Lucas used it. He didn't use CGI the way he used traditional special effects in the OT. Hell, most directors don't even use CGI the same way they use traditional practical effects IN THE SAME FILM. See Sam Raimi's Spider-Man or Crystal Skull and watch how the film becomes cartoon-like the second they start using CGI. It's not the technology that's at fault most of the time, it's the way it is so often used to depict unrealistic actions or characters.

The other thing that show reel underlined for me was something I suspected watching the film, that all the talk of 'returning to practical effects' and using sets and locations was in fact a load of old bollix, it's no less CGI intensive then the prequels. Not a single enviornmental or ship model in sight and very little in camera work. What they really ment was that we'll use a bit more prosthetics for background characters and that's about it.

It would depend on the film and the director and how he wants to do. Traditionally though a composer would would work off of a close-to-final cut of the film, write the music over the course of several weeks and record it in a few scoring sessions quite close to the release of the film. This is then re-edited by the director and his music editors as necessary to suit the film.

Sometimes they will totally changing tracks around, often without the composer's involvement. For example, the famous re-docking music in Interstellar was mostly created in editing by mixing different tracks together. And Lucas threw out loads of Williams's score for Sith during editing and replaced it with tracks composed for the previous films.

Film scores are highly derivative of other scores and music, so while it's a lot of work it's not necessarily as much as it might seem. The director will often have edited the film to a temp track consisting of other music which the composer then emulates. So the director and his music editor can have a very big influence on the final score. It's a lot of fun to try and spot what the temp track for a film was.

Sometimes a director might involve the composer from very early on and have him start composing music that the film can then be edited to – Hans Zimmer has done this for Malick and Nolan – but it's unusual.

It seems Abrams gave Williams a lot of leeway to do what he wanted with TFA and left most of his work intact in the finished film. I think Lucas was much more hands-on, to the extent that Williams wasn't always happy with the finished result.

9HkVEfL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sen this today decent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

McLoughlin wrote: »

Quite spoilery - I feel like a few of those should be big reveals and not shown in a trailer.

Particularly
    Darth Maul

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

I should have checked up whether it was filmed in 3d before booking my ticket. As soon as it started I thought to myself, crap! I should have booked it for 2d.

Post production 3d always has the same effect on me. Prometheus in 3d was breathtaking in terms of the visuals, I can't believe they cheaped out on this for star wars.

That aside, it was enjoyable, but there was a part of me that couldn't help but think, so... when is the new star wars coming out. :pac:

Great action but the 3d sucked, I'll have to watch in 2d. If anyone is considering imax/3d, my advice is don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Arbitrary wrote: »
    I should have checked up whether it was filmed in 3d before booking my ticket. As soon as it started I thought to myself, crap! I should have booked it for 2d.

Post production 3d always has the same effect on me. Prometheus in 3d was breathtaking in terms of the visuals, I can't believe they cheaped out on this for star wars.

That aside, it was enjoyable, but there was a part of me that couldn't help but think, so... when is the new star wars coming out. :pac:

Great action but the 3d sucked, I'll have to watch in 2d. If anyone is considering imax/3d, my advice is don't bother.

tbh I'd say it was more a case of Abrams wanting to make it in 2D and the studio imposing a 3D version on the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Kylo Ren/Undercover Boss on SNL.
    Bizarre.

Advertisement