Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Things that annoyed me.

Able to penetrate the shields by going faster than light, convenient and easy.

How easy they got into the death star without been spotted.

How easy they got your one to disable the shields. She just gave in without a fight.

Ren been so easily hit by chewie when in the start of the film he could sense someone shooting from behind him and stop it.

And snoke they all answered too. Looks like something from Lord of the rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm only surprised it took this long TBH. Always thought summer 2017 was crazy optimistic, especially with Rogue One in between. Less chance of franchise burnout this way too.

Not to mention the potential artistic benefits from a less rushed production :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Things that annoyed me.

How easy they got your one to disable the shields. She just gave in without a fight.

Ren been so easily hit by chewie when in the start of the film he could sense someone shooting from behind him and stop it.

yet you presumably have no problem with random beings made of meat being able to use a magical force and able to move and manipulate their surroundings and objects within same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

05dbc71e25d7.jpg

david75 when it comes to any criticism in this thread :pac: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Just looking at the Elite series figures in the Disney Store.

Worth the €24.99??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm only surprised it took this long TBH. Always thought summer 2017 was crazy optimistic, especially with Rogue One in between. Less chance of franchise burnout this way too.

Not to mention the potential artistic benefits from a less rushed production :)

I assume the idea behind the May 2017 release was to tie in with the 40th anniversary of ANH (or was it just Star Wars in 1977...)

No harm in putting it back 7 months if it means getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

The more I listen to John Williams' soundtrack for TFA, the more I like it. He has managed to recapture his musical and compositional style heard in his 80's movie scores, which really link the movie back to the original trilogy.

As Yoda might say, Williams has unlearned what he has learned in the intervening years to compose a score that thematically and sequentially sits perfectly alongside Return of the Jedi.

I think this score is right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy, Superman, Indiana Jones trilogy, ET scores. It sounds like it was composed right in the middle of those scores.

Wedwood wrote: »
    The more I listen to John Williams' soundtrack for TFA, the more I like it. He has managed to recapture his musical and compositional style heard in his 80's movie scores, which really link the movie back to the original trilogy.

As Yoda might say, Williams has unlearned what he has learned in the intervening years to compose a score that thematically and sequentially sits perfectly alongside Return of the Jedi.

I think this score is right up there with the original Star Wars trilogy, Superman, Indiana Jones trilogy, ET scores. It sounds like it was composed right in the middle of those scores.

definitely agree..i was really unimpressed with it initially but the more i hear it, the better it is for being subtle and serving the scenes, whereas previously his music was always rather overbearing to a degree. This one has really beautiful work on it..Reys theme and the jedi steps are favourites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

david75 wrote: »
    definitely agree..i was really unimpressed with it initially but the more i hear it, the better it is for being subtle and serving the scenes, whereas previously his music was always rather overbearing to a degree. This one has really beautiful work on it..Reys theme and the jedi steps are favourites

Same here, Rey's theme is very stand out and the Jedi Steps is epic, but I love Farewell and the Trip. I really think seeing it in Imax helped me appreciate the score even more. I'm not sure exactly how, but it was just amazing.

I want to go again :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Things that annoyed me.

Star Wars science. I wouldn't it let it bother you. It's science fiction.
    How easy they got into the death star Star Killer Base without been spotted.
    If they have shields then why would they be worried about anyone wandering in? They wouldn't be thinking outside the box that anyone would risk light speed to get through.
    That was annoying, I wish there was a little bit of a skirmish to show off Phasma's fighting skills. I would presume someone that high up in command would as soon as allow themselves to be killed than put their goals at risk.
    He was very emotional having to dig up the courage to kill his own father that he let his guard down.
    Like Andy Serkis?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Things that annoyed me.

Able to penetrate the shields by going faster than light, convenient and easy. - I don't think it's that they penetrated the shields by approaching at lightspeed. It's that they were going fast enough to avoid the First Order's radar defences from being able to spot them, as the defences would be set to detect approaching ships from a distance.

- If they weren't detected by the defences, the First Order wouldn't have known they were coming, or where they'd be coming from. Remember, Starkiller Base was an actual planet. A hell of a lot of ground to cover, and Han & Chewie would be fairly adept at slipping past security.

- That's a fair point and annoyed me too. They should have just used a generic stormtrooper.

- Had just killed his father. In fairness, probably wasn't concentrating or on top of his game.

- Fair enough, but I'll reserve judgement til we see him in the flesh. I doubt he's actually going to be that size in person.

Comments bolded above.

Kylo Ren/Undercover Boss on SNL.
    Bizarre.

SNL is just terrible. The epitome of crass, in-your-face american humour. While the idea is good, the execution is lacking. That could have been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Totally agree on the score, its perfect as good as previous star wars score!!

THAT'S ONE HELL OF A PILOT!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Penn wrote: »
    Comments bolded above. Generic stormtrooper

I had thought that too, but then realised if you're the big bad you're not gonna give 'billy the stormtrooper' the ability to take down the planetary defences are you?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Quick question.. did anyone notice if Luke was standing beside a gravestone at the end or was it just a rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Quick question.. did anyone notice if Luke was standing beside a gravestone at the end or was it just a rock?

General consensus seems to be it's just a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

General consensus seems to be it's just a rock.
    There are , apparently, several weathered crosses dotted around Christ's Saddle where the scene with Luke is shot so my assumption is that it just in shot by chance and not of any significance to the story.

Good article about the juxtaposition of the real archeology with the fictional jedi mythology here

• Advertisement

I thought it's a gravestone.

Reys ma was killed by Kylo ren and is buried on the island. That's why Lukes there waiting for her to come.

Not sure if I or somebody else asked this already but...

When Finn and Rey are on the Falcon and it is being dragged into the big ship. Finn immediately recognises it as the First Order. They hide under the floor and then in pops they aul Solo.

But.....why was Han and Chewie on the First Order ship thingy?

py2006 wrote: »
    Not sure if I or somebody else asked this already but...

When Finn and Rey are on the Falcon and it is being dragged into the big ship. Finn immediately recognises it as the First Order. They hide under the floor and then in pops they aul Solo.

But.....why was Han and Chewie on the First Order ship thingy?

I don't think it was a First Order ship. I think he was just being jumpy and paranoid. He probably expected the First Order to have caught up with them seeing as he has first-hand experience of what they are capable of. At least, that was my thinking from when I saw it.

Han Solo To Show Off ‘Star Wars’-Themed Lands in Disneyland
    Harrison Ford will give viewers an exclusive preview of the Star Wars-themed lands in the works at Disneyland and Walt Disney World during ABC’s The Wonderful World of Disney: Disneyland 60 special which is airing on ABC on February 21. The network promises new details will be revealed for the lands, which are now under construction in both Anaheim and Orlando parks. The special shoots Friday.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I must be the last person in Ireland to have finally gotten around to watching this. So glad I went to the cinema to enjoy it. I loved every minute of it. Sure there were flaws in it but what fun it was. When the X-Wings came in over the lake was the first time I think I have caught myself air punching at a movie.

I might go watch it again later..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Saw it tonight and loved it. Episode VII and Episode V are neck and neck as my favourites. Loving where the franchise is going. JJ Abrams did an amazing job!

I had a few punch the air moments :)

The Falcon reveal (its the first old character we get to see and has the little star wars fanfare when it happens :) )

and then when Han and Chewie run on baord..though that was half cheer other hld weepy happy tears:)

then when Han shouts TWELVE and walks into the Falcons cockpit..full on bawling :)

Tell me you didn't ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Tell me you didn't ...

Jeez. Thanks for your insightful, helpful reply.

david75, glad you enjoyed the film :) From the trailers I knew Han & Chewie were going to be in it but seeing them first appear was great!

Advertisement