Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

12654390_1056704517702053_1291584047814765806_n.png?oh=a5f0e590973825f53ed83d0e233556e9&oe=5731A547&__gda__=1466483297_e26563ab339ee1a9380b2f796488acc9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

py2006 wrote: »
    "... Good ... Good ..."
    Nah, that doesn't sound creepy at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

xper wrote: »
    "... Good ... Good ..."
    Nah, that doesn't sound creepy at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

shut up and take my money...March 15th on itunes relase

possible list of extras
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/02/list-of-special-features-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens-blu-ray/

A Swedish website called CDON.Com has Star Wars: The Force Awakens up for pre-order. It also has listed all the special features for the two-disc set. This is not at all official, but in my opinion it seems pretty legit if this site is selling the Blu-ray. Check out the list of features:

Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey
    • The Story Awakens: The Table Read
    • Building BB-8
    • Crafting Creatures
    • Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight
    • The Visual Magic Of The Force
    • John Williams: The Seventh Symphony
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Force For Change

This all sounds very cool! I would imagine we may get a exclusive at one of the major retailers that will include one more disc with purely special features on it. I’m very interested in the feature entitled ” The Story Awakens: The Table Read.” I wonder if that was from the very first table read when the cast took its first cast photo. If the Blu-ray truly is being released on April 5th, Lucasfilm should be announcing it any day now. Huge thanks to Niklas for the heads-up!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

After watching the Oscars show pictures of the actors who had died in the past year, for a split second I thought "you forgot Han Solo!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So,,, I know it's probably been answered, but the film didn't explain.

Who the hell was Kylo's 'master'?
    Is he sith?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Who the hell was Kylo's 'master'?
    Is he sith?

No, they did not explain.

But he is instructing Kylo in the Dark Side, so he is presumably a Sith.

One theory is that he is
    Palpatine's old master as explained in the prequels - the guy who was supposed to have mastered death and then died.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

One of the fun things about the new movie is we're all guessing how the story will play out and who or what the new characters really are.

The story could go anywhere over the next two movies, unlike the prequels where the outcome was known from the outset.

It's similar to how we wondered in 1977 waiting for 'Star Wars 2' to arrive in 1980 how would Luke become a Jedi, who was this Emperor guy only referred to in the first movie, would Luke get to avenge the murder of his father by Darth Vader ?

We never saw what was coming in Empire Strikes Back and hopefully same again now with Episode 8 next year !

• Advertisement

So it seems episode 8 will somehow pick up exactly where it left off, with Rey and Luke staring at each other..

this goes against the established SW format but Daisy Ridley confirmed that that's where we'll pick up, at least with them.

We need to see that first conversation. We've been waiting 30 years to see Luke again so there's a huge importance in being able to see that conversation.

How the devil they're gonna do it though and break away from the classic opening shot in space with a huge ship is another thing..

my idea

if the first scene in Ep.8 is Rey&Luke maybe the opening shot will still be the classic star destroyer in space but maybe its followed her there on the Falcon somehow & they send a landing party to the planet after her to capture her&Luke and they both beat a hasty retreat on the Falcon w/ Chewie&R2? itd be a fairly action packed opening..just an idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Riddle101

david75 wrote: »
    So it seems episode 8 will somehow pick up exactly where it left off, with Rey and Luke staring at each other..

this goes against the established SW format but Daisy Ridley confirmed that that's where we'll pick up, at least with them.

We need to see that first conversation. We've been waiting 30 years to see Luke again so there's a huge importance in being able to see that conversation.

How the devil they're gonna do it though and break away from the classic opening shot in space with a huge ship is another thing..

my idea

if the first scene in Ep.8 is Rey&Luke maybe the opening shot will still be the classic star destroyer in space but maybe its followed her there on the Falcon somehow & they send a landing party to the planet after her to capture her&Luke and they both beat a hasty retreat on the Falcon w/ Chewie&R2? itd be a fairly action packed opening..just an idea..

Perhaps the classic ship opening intro will be Kylo Ren returning to his master or something. Didn't Snoke tell Hux to bring him to him? His fate was kind've left vague at the end of the movie, as the last part focused mainly on Rey finding Luke. So perhaps in that same timeframe, Kylo was brought before Snoke and they had a conversation that parallels Luke and Rey. But i'm just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Perhaps the classic ship opening intro will be Kylo Ren returning to his master or something. Didn't Snoke tell Hux to bring him to him? His fate was kind've left vague at the end of the movie, as the last part focused mainly on Rey finding Luke. So perhaps in that same timeframe, Kylo was brought before Snoke and they had a conversation that parallels Luke and Rey. But i'm just guessing.

Or since they refilmed the scene with Luke and Rey meeting for Ep8, maybe the opening shot will be the Falcon coming out of hyperspace and heading towards the planet, basically a slight variation of the end scene from EP7 to fit with the classic Star Wars opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Wedwood wrote: »
    One of the fun things about the new movie is we're all guessing how the story will play out and who or what the new characters really are.

If you're expecting a satisfactory payoff then I wouldn't hold my breath, cast your mind back to LOST.

Yes we all remember Lost which was JJ's baby and he held the viewers attention for 6 years in which he threw in Polar bears, black smoke monsters and giant foot sculptors which he never explained and which one of his writers revealed last year that Abrams never ever planned on paying off any of those story lines, he just threw them in for the heck of it.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he's making it up as he goes along with all these smoke and mirrors and we'll be back here bitching and moaning in 4 years about how terrible he finished the series and with the same unanswered questions that we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If you're expecting a satisfactory payoff then I wouldn't hold my breath, cast your mind back to LOST.

Yes we all remember Lost which was JJ's baby and he held the viewers attention for 6 years in which he threw in Polar bears, black smoke monsters and giant foot sculptors which he never explained and which one of his writers revealed last year that Abrams never ever planned on paying off any of those story lines, he just threw them in for the heck of it.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he's making it up as he goes along with all these smoke and mirrors and we'll be back here bitching and moaning in 4 years about how terrible he finished the series and with the same unanswered questions that we have now.

Yeh.

This has been my worry since the beginning. I've never been a fan of Abrams. I think his back catalog is dubious, to say the least. The Star Trek reboots are bloody stupid and I saw through 'Lost' in the first series.

I have my fingers crossed with 'Star Wars' though. VII was alright, but JUST alright. The internet/media **** over it has been absurd, to say the least, but there's still hope that the series can turn out great.

I don't know how much input Abrams will have in the next two (few) films, so we'll just have to wait and see. but colour me unsurprised if someone doesn't bugger it up somewhere along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Yes we all remember Lost which was JJ's baby and he held the viewers attention for 6 years in which he threw in Polar bears, Blackpool smoke monsters and giant foot sculptors which he never explained and which one of his writers revealed last year that Abrams never ever planned on paying off any of those story lines, he just threw them in for the heck of it.

That's the spirit!!!

3015827-de5e920a5fd1091230fd6b8066962aa3-650-80.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Lost wasn't really JJ's baby though and neither is Star Wars. He directed the pilot of Lost before going off to make Mission Impossible. He returned to the show briefly at the start of season 3 and that was it. And he never really made a secret of the fact that he hadn't a plan. On the DVD commentary track for the pilot he openly talked about making stuff up on set and saying we'll figure it out later.

While I agree with you that JJ probably didn't have a plan for episode 8 or 9 either, I'm not sure it matters. Firstly because he's not writing or directing those films. And secondly because most writers make stuff up as they go along. It's interesting that you mention Lost because Lucas sent a letter to the Lost producers praising the show and admitting that he made Star Wars up as he went along – but we already knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I never watched Lost, doesn't sound like I missed much !

Regarding new surprises, maybe Finn and Rey will get kinda romantic in the new movie only to find out in Episode 9 they're really brother and sister, ewww 😩

I thnk you're worrying unnecessarily about Abrams. He and Johnson actually did have everythin mapped out and Johnson is writing the next two so there'll be a good flow between the films and no disjointed lurches. Though how Trevaro or whatever his name is still worries me a lot.

So it looks like different retail outlets will be getting different 'bonus content' discs particular to them for the Force awakens DVD/bluray release. That's a rip off. And if it doesn't encourage piracy I don't know what will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The weird thing about the reshooting of that scene for VII is that Rey is holding the saber in the wrong hand. Small thing to note but annoying nonetheless.

JJ Abram used the concept of people who crash land on an island and expanded on it to create a 2 hour pilot and add mystery to it all. What happened with Lost after that was not in his hands as it was passed over to showrunners.
    In their hands the problem ultimately became how to drag out a show and keep it interesting, before convincing the studio to let them wrap it up as they pleased. by then they had created so many mysteries from dragging out the show that it became impossible to answer them all. Either way, I still thought it was a fun show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Barely anything past season 3 of Lost was JJ related. He directed the pilot and had a hand in several of the stories told early on but that's that. Frankly, when you compare the quality of the first couple seasons of the show to the rest you can tell.

Early Lost was simply amazing television and I heartily recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

that was awesome..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Also when thinking of JJ and TV you can't forget Alias. That show was incredible and very addictive for the years he was behind it. Once he left it sorta fell to pieces and lost it's charm. The first 2 seasons were deadly.

Can't wait for TFA DVD, the advert looks wicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Also when thinking of JJ and TV you can't forget Alias. That show was incredible and very addictive for the years he was behind it. Once he left it sorta fell to pieces and lost it's charm. The first 2 seasons were deadly.

Can't wait for TFA DVD, the advert looks wicked.

Yeh, alias, fringe and the first newer Star Trek reboot were all very good. I thought this was a superbly made Star Wars. The numbers don't lie and most people enjoyed it as a standalone movie within the universe.

You don't have to of seen any of the movies to enjoy it and that's a tough movie to make if you also want to please the existing very loyal and picky fan base.

My wife is on her way to see it right now and I think she will enjoy it. I think JJ couldn't of done much more to make this better then it was. And that's from somebody who went to the first screening at midnight viewing in point village and looked forward to this since it was announced that they were making another trilogy.

Abrams Explains Why Chewbacca Didn't Hug Leia At The End Of 'The Force Awakens'

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/03/jj-abrams-explains-why-chewbacca-didnt.html?m=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    Abrams Explains Why Chewbacca Didn't Hug Leia At The End Of 'The Force Awakens'

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/03/jj-abrams-explains-why-chewbacca-didnt.html?m=1

That was a character beat that bugged me a little, i must be honest. Of all people to mourn a loss, Leia and Chewie made most sense. The wife and mother :D Glad to hear it was an honest mistake at the expense of the narrative in the moment.

• Advertisement

Maybe JJ will release a special edition in a couple of years and shoehorn in a CG Chewie going in for a hug. Then add a few more flying objects, someone stepping in poo to lighten the mood and change the music to something crap.

Advertisement