Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jack Reynor latest name linked

The Nerdist website speculating Disney are picking Reynor over Abrams first pick Jesse Plemons because he is better looking for the posters and merchandising :eek: Of course that's if they were up for the same role.

Nerdist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The Nerdist website speculating Disney are picking Reynor over Abrams first pick Jesse Plemons because he is better looking for the posters and merchandising :eek: Of course that's if they were up for the same role.

Nerdist

coach+taylor.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-4-1201125355/

Downton Abbey thesp Ed Speleers, Attack the Block star John Boyega, Jesse Plemons and theater actors Matthew James Thomas, and Ray Fisher are among the men J.J. Abrams is eyeing for the lead role

Jesse Plemons could be good, well I am only familiar with him :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-4-1201125355/

Jesse Plemons could be good, well I am only familiar with him :p

A theory:

If they're thinking of going with the black actor, does this mean the lead character won't in fact be a Skywalker or Solo, but Mark Hamill (Obi Wan style) mentor will find this unrelated young man (akaA New Hope) and whisk him off on adventures ala A New Hope, where he does indeed run into the son of Luke Skywalker (let's say Jesse Plemons), but he's a minor character, and they both train at the Jedi Academy on Yavin IV.

I have a feeling that Kasdan and Abrams rewrite is moving the Skywalkers and their saga off centre stage for this trilogy finally. That's a brave move.

I still want to know what was in that Ardnt script.

Jesse Plemons would be so good, and down to earth in this, people need to see him in FNL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Star Wars Episode VII’ to Begin Filming in May

Disney and Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: Episode VII” will begin filming in May, the company announced today.

The new “Star Wars” will be set 30 years after “Return of the Jedi” and will feature new and familiar faces.

“Girls” actor Adam Driver is in talks to play the villain in the new film. Others battling for lead roles include “Downton Abbey” thesp Ed Speleers, “Attack the Block” star John Boyega, “Breaking Bad” and “Friday Night Light’s” Jesse Plemons and theater actors Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” will be released December 18, 2015.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-episode-vii-to-begin-filming-in-may-1201137849/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Did anyone read the 5 spec. Star Wars screenplays over on scriptshadow last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Thank god Lucas is not involved that's all I'll say.

The scene: May 2014 Pinewood Studios

Ford is disinterested, sitting in the Millenium Falcon cockpit.

Abrams boyhood fantasy of making a STAR WARS movie is a disaster until....

Abrams concots plan to put back the youthful crazed vigour that the Han Solo character had 30 years earlier.

"Ok here's the deal; Hide the pot on Harrison, we wait, when he starts getting agitated....
    annnnnnnd we're rolling..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Thrill wrote: »
    Star Wars Episode VII’ to Begin Filming in May

PLEASE let them start the first Sunday in May, even if it's just one take...

Please, please, PLEASE !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

OU812 wrote: »
    PLEASE let them start the first Sunday in May, even if it's just one take...

Please, please, PLEASE !!

May the...5th...be with you???:)

Or is it...

May the Sith be with you..?

Truly stunning and the best scene in the series, so filling.
    Great cinema.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter".

This was always the heart of the whole Trilogy and why Empire is the best - I find it funny when film critics refer to Empire as being the best due to its 'Darker' nature, when these scenes are the best you will see in the picture and they are pretty much the most comforting, warm parent / child style talks you will find in cinema. The beating heart. It was wonderful. Idealistic. Transcending ideas of religion - belief. It inspired belief. For a hokey Saturday morning themed serial, they were gorgeous moments.

Below is a interview from Gary Kurtz who was the producer for A New Hope and Empire, It's 12 years old but he's incredibly frank over ALL ASPECTS of Star Wars OT and Episode I. Even as early as Empire, Lucas was hell bent on his "vision" as. I think it's the fairest dethroning of Lucas I've ever seen.

Kurtz's Return of the Jedi would have been a very different film and even darker and more fraught with danger than Empire had he had his way.

His comments on filmakers and how many don't have any original life experience and consequently their films don't have much to say or "realness", to them as opposed to those before the 1960's and 1970's. e.g people who lived through the World Wars.

The best media interview I've ever read on film, it's looong and detailed.
    The majority of the SW related is on page 4.
    I also found out there was time when IGN did great interviews.
    Kurtz and others were real secret behind the success of the first twos film and seemed to have hauled Lucas up, when he decided to get lazy.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz

For bonus LOL, look at everybody's eyes in this behind the scenes video, the horror in Rick Mac Callum's eyes and the cameraman. They're thinking it's "This doesn't sound all that smart, but he's Lucas, what reason do I have to say I'm right, it'll all come together in the end".

I love it.

They even picked the worst child actor.

I hear the benny hill music in the background.
    Even Spielberg can't tell him his friend. "George, that sounds like ****e"
    Instead he's like "it's going to be great"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ must read that later, there's a great bit on the making of Episode 1 dvd where Lucas screens the movie for his inner circle, and they're all basically horrified. The only voice of reason is Ben Burtt who complains that the climax is all over the place tonally (which it is) and it jumps from one event to the other too quickly not giving the audience enough time to react to anything (which it does). And the best Lucas can come up with is "it's designed that way and too late to change it now" so Burtt just shuts up.

I genuinely think taking the franchise away from Lucas alone is the best thing to happen it, Rick McCallum is a spineless yes man to him and he's surrounded himself with people who just go along with his vision and don't call him out on stuff they know won't work. He's adamant that the franchise is aimed at kids, which the originals were too but there was something you could take from the story no matter what age you were.

It says volumes that Empire, near universally regarded as the best film in the series is Lucas' least favourite one, he called it "boring". I do think Lucas is a good ideas man when he works in a collaborative effort, he's co creator of Indiana Jones in fairness to the man, but when he's left to his own worst excesses it shows massively in his films. Turgid dialogue, stiff uninteresting camerawork (which is curious considering his student films and even the original Star Wars have some really interesting, dynamic shots) and over reliance on effects and editing, he's never been a good actor's director.

krudler wrote: »
    ^ must read that later, there's a great bit on the making of Episode 1 dvd where Lucas screens the movie for his inner circle, and they're all basically horrified. The only voice of reason is Ben Burtt who complains that the climax is all over the place tonally (which it is) and it jumps from one event to the other too quickly not giving the audience enough time to react to anything (which it does). And the best Lucas can come up with is "it's designed that way and too late to change it now" so Burtt just shuts up.

I genuinely think taking the franchise away from Lucas alone is the best thing to happen it, Rick McCallum is a spineless yes man to him and he's surrounded himself with people who just go along with his vision and don't call him out on stuff they know won't work. He's adamant that the franchise is aimed at kids, which the originals were too but there was something you could take from the story no matter what age you were.

I watched the making of episode I on youtube you mentioned.
    This could almost be its own movie. The exploration of a man, trapped within the throes of his own Ego, making something almost nobody will like. And nobody's willing to tell him he's wrong

Ep VII was a film that I always wanted to see made and never thought it would be, thinking it was more of a pipe dream than anything else since I was a kid. To see what would have happened next

I'll be honest not having Luke, Han, and Leia was like having a Bond without Bond himself. I'm glad it'll finally be the "future" about these war heroes and their children. I was never particularly interested in that sterile, Anakin, lightsaber dancing prequel stuff.

Intially the series was intended as an allegory for Vietcong (Rebels) vs the Empire (USA), with the audience taking the side of the "enemy". That's far more interesting than anything force related, jedi in the series.

Hardly completely childlike is it?

ROTJ has the most perfect complete ending though to a cinematic saga.
    I'm sort of sad they have to disturb because of that.

I actually prefer this to the original ending with that terrible yub, nub ****e, even the Hayden part is pretty cool,the celebrations across other planets, even if it doesn't make all that much sense. It's the only change that actually improves the OT.

There's much more a feel of 'the war is finally over, we are finally free' and it makes me feel really happy. It's a brilliant ending and incredibly warm/cheerful/mournful and nostalgic all within seconds of each other. Simple but beautiful.

My brother says when he thinks of SW as a whole, he always thinks of this end scene and so do I. It's probably my favourite movie moment ever in a way.

I hate the term "legit feels, teary eyes", but i'll use it here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Adamantium wrote: »
    ROTJ has the most perfect ending though to a cinematic saga.

Ah yes, teddy bears hopping about half-heartedly under the cheap special effects fireworks. After all these years, it's still like Lucas personally beating my dreams into the dry, dead dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

krudler wrote: »

The red letter media review really highlights how they all know it's a big ball of crap and it's too late to do anything about it.

brevity wrote: »
    The red letter media review really highlights how they all know it's a big ball of crap and it's too late to do anything about it.

You have to remember that the original Star Wars was also a complete load of crap when Lucas thought it was finished, and only editing the hell out of it injected the energy everyone praised when it opened.

If you cut an hour out of each of the prequels...

No, they'd still be rubbish. I understand some lad in Hollywood cut the three of them into a single movie, and it wasn't bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...]

For bonus LOL, look at everybody's eyes in this behind the scenes video, the horror in Rick Mac Callum's eyes and the cameraman. They're thinking it's "This doesn't sound all that smart, but he's Lucas, what reason do I have to say I'm right, it'll all come together in the end". [...]

I always feel genuine, honest sympathy for the hundreds who worked behind-the-scenes on Episode 1, because there must have been a point, some horrible, soul-destroying moment, when they realised their dream come true was a waking nightmare and they were all working on what amounted to cinematic diarrhoea.

It must have been a particular hurt for the FX artists, people for whom the pioneering FX work from the original trilogy likely inspired them to follow this career path. After their initial elation at the prospect of working on a new Star Wars film (imagine how much they would have boasted to friends & family) came the disappointment of what it would actually involve. We scoff now, but let's face it, pre May 1999 many of us were positively stoked at the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

pixelburp wrote: »
    let's face it, pre May 1999 many of us were positively stoked at the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

For me, RotJ was the big kick in the teeth from Lucas.

It was all going so well until C3PO throws luke his light sabre (ooh, green!) and then, in a huge melée fight, Luke doesn't even cut anyone.

The stuntmen just fall down.

I nearly left in disgust. I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You have to remember that the original Star Wars was also a complete load of crap when Lucas thought it was finished, and only editing the hell out of it injected the energy everyone praised when it opened.

How do we know this? Haven't heard of a pre-release "Lucas edit" before.

• Advertisement

I always feel genuine, honest sympathy for the hundreds who worked behind-the-scenes on Episode 1, because there must have been a point, some horrible, soul-destroying moment, when they released their dream come true was a waking nightmare and they were all working on what amounted to cinematic diarrhoea.

It must have been a particular hurt for the FX artists, people for whom the pioneering FX work from the original trilogy likely inspired them to follow this career path. After their initial elation at the prospect of working on a new Star Wars film would have come the disappointment of what it would actually involve. We scoff now, but let's face it, pre May 1999 many of us would have positively stoked at the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

It's funny by the mid 90's, if Lucas had simply done nothing more for the rest of his life and outsourced to everybody else you could genuinely call him cinematic genius for how he changed the industry to the way it is (for better or worse). He didn't need to do anything. The man had come out two of the most hailed trilogies in history (SW and Indy).

A pity he had to publicly humiliate himself and feel the need to carry a self inflicted cross, for the next two. Maybe McCallum and the rest, likely convinced themselves that it was blip and it would motivate the spark "genius" that Lucas had in his younger days.

Apparently he had considered letting Kasdan and Frank Darabount and others to write and direct the next two. He may have thought well "well only I know the story, therefore if I screw it up, it's only right I unscrew it in the next two". Some body should have said " You don't have to do this George by yourself". Such as the madness in most geniuses!

I find it him an incredibly intriguing man and life story, and It'd be sad to seem him die. The connection theses movies have to the collective consciousness is fascinating and unlike any other media franchise I've ever seen.

The truth is though that without Empire Strikes Back and Kurtz (and the protection it was afforded) and other writers, editor Marcia Lucas and producers, a Jar Jar Binks or Ewok level event would have happened far earlier in the series.

~The series would have become a blip in itself.

Episode VII should focus on it's new era theme, and only that. I want to see something new from Star Wars not just a rehash of old ****, which is one of the major flaws with the prequel trilogy at heart. None of that "poetry" I want to see Abrams make something new out of it. This doesn't mean there can't be throwbacks or anything like that, I just don't want the same arcs of themes that the previous two trilogies have.

Give us a Star Wars that perhaps deconstructs concepts like Jedi and Sith on an intellectual level (though this doesn't mean it has to soley target adults).

old-luke.jpg

Fisher looking suprisingly well.

Carrie-Fisher.jpg?itok=ZbbZi4ZX

Goodshape wrote: »

I know it from being really old.

Wikipedia says the following, but pretends that it was Lucas who was shocked by the first cut. Nope: the studio were shocked, and sent in Hirsch and Chew to fix it. Jympson's cut was a disaster because he did what Lucas told him to do.

Already anxious about meeting his deadline, Lucas was shocked when editor John Jympson's first cut of the film was a "complete disaster". According to an article in Star Wars Insider No. 41 by David West Reynolds, this first edit of Star Wars contained about 30–40% different footage from the final version. This included scenes that have never been seen elsewhere along with alternate takes of existing scenes. After attempting to persuade Jympson to cut the film his way, Lucas replaced him with Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew. He also allowed his then-wife Marcia Lucas to aid the editing process while she was cutting the film New York, New York with Lucas's friend Martin Scorsese. Richard Chew found the film had an unenergetic pace; it had been cut in a by-the-book manner: scenes were played out in master shots that flowed into close-up coverage. He found that the pace was dictated by the actors instead of the cuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Has anyone ever tried watching them in the machete order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

david75 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried watching them in the machete order?

Yes, I have. It's a great alternative way to watch them. If you're in the mood to watch all the movies (whether 5 or all 6) then Machete feels more coherent and satisfying than just going 123456 or 456123.

For instance with machete it was the first time I ever really consciously felt a connection that the man behind Vaders mask was the Anakin we see in Ep2 and 3. Before I was just 'watching Anakin' or 'watching Vader'. They never really felt like one and the same to me somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

There's a fantastic documentary on Netflix called "The People Vs George Lucas". I avoided it for a while as I thought it would just be a piece to give him a kicking, but it's actually quite balanced. As a fan it helps you understand some of the motivations in the questionable decisions he made. It doesn't try to excuse them, nor should it, but just lays it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I actually prefer this to the original ending with that terrible yub, nub ****e, even the Hayden part is pretty cool,the celebrations across other planets, even if it doesn't make all that much sense. It's the only change that actually improves the OT.

There's much more a feel of 'the war is finally over, we are finally free' and it makes me feel really happy. It's a brilliant ending and incredibly warm/cheerful/mournful and nostalgic all within seconds of each other. Simple but beautiful.

Ohhhhh...You just got a virtual slap there.

The new ending to 'Return of the Jedi' was one of the most stupid things Lucas did to the original film and that includes that piss-poor song in Jabba's palace.

The idea that the entire Empire would collapse because of a local victory is absurd. The Empire is not just Palpatine and Vader. It's a huge galaxy wide power, at least according to the vague lore built up in the previous pictures. It's just a ridiculous idea that it would suddenly fall apart, simply because of a defeat on some obscure moon. If the rebels had captured the Death Star and blew Coruscant to pieces, then their might be a case, but even then it wouldn't happen.

BTW, Nub Nub was the best thing the Ewoks ever did.

I always feel genuine, honest sympathy for the hundreds who worked behind-the-scenes on Episode 1, because there must have been a point, some horrible, soul-destroying moment, when they realised their dream come true was a waking nightmare and they were all working on what amounted to cinematic diarrhoea.

It must have been a particular hurt for the FX artists, people for whom the pioneering FX work from the original trilogy likely inspired them to follow this career path. After their initial elation at the prospect of working on a new Star Wars film (imagine how much they would have boasted to friends & family) came the disappointment of what it would actually involve. We scoff now, but let's face it, pre May 1999 many of us were positively stoked at the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

Absolutely, and I made so many bloody excuses for it after I'd first seen it.

My last one was that it would have been a fine chapter if only Jar Jar wasn't involved.

But, no. It's not just because of that prick. It's simply an awful film. Which makes things even worse because...and I say this without any joking whatsoever...what all of the resources that Lucas had at his disposal, I would have made a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Tony EH wrote: »
    Absolutely, and I made so many bloody excuses for it after I'd first seen it.

My last one was that it would have been a fine chapter if only Jar Jar wasn't involved.

But, no. It's not just because of that prick. It's simply an awful film. Which makes things even worse because...and I say this without any joking whatsoever...what all of the resources that Lucas had at his disposal, I would have made a masterpiece.

I still think it is the best of the PT.

Least worst?

Goodshape wrote: »

He means post production.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I still think it is the best of the PT.

Least worst?

The final half of 'Revenge of the Sith' is all I can watch now. At least it had a bit of balls.

But, even so...

No, they're all just terrible films. There's no real redemption for them. They're all completely soulless in they're own way.

The worst, by far though, is 'Attack of the Clones'. Even the title deserves ridicule.

Advertisement