Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Tony EH wrote: »
    The final half of 'Revenge of the Sith' is all I can watch now. At least it had a bit of balls.

But, even so...

No, they're all just terrible films. There's no real redemption for them. They're all completely soulless in they're own way.

The worst, by far though, is 'Attack of the Clones'. Even the title deserves ridicule.

Ewan McGregor certainly thought it did :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Best thing about the prequels is Duel of the Fates

On its own yes... but the fact it keeps jumping to toe-curling scenes of a whining brat shouting 'yeeeeehhhoooooooo' while flying a spaceship and a so-called 'battle' featuring some of the worst CGI in film-making history ruins it somewhat for me.

For me the best thing in the prequels was Ian McDiarmid. It was a piece of cake for him, culminating with that brilliant scene with Anakin at the opera. Although Lucas had to go and spoil it all by getting him to ham it up in ROTS to the point where he was just a cartoon figure.

I also thought the post-fight scene on Mustafar with Obi Wan and Anakin was tremendous. It was heartbreaking stuff and they carried it off so well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I still think it is the best of the PT.

Least worst?

Phantom Menace had the benefit of being shot on 35mm so if nothing else it had the right visual texture, as opposed to the 2 sequels that were shot on digital and looked like shiny videogame cut scenes; Episode 1 looked like a proper epic, old-fashioned film at times, and that's about all the positive you can say about it, I should hurriedly add.

Also, Phantom Menace had the benefit of containing none of the hamfisted, awful romantic plot & dialogue that pushed Episodes two and three into the realms of true, inescapable ineptitude.

"You are so beautiful!"
    "It's only because I'm so in love..."
    "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ohhhhh...You just got a virtual slap there.

I'll need chalomine lotion after all these responses :pac::D

Yeah I agree ROTJ could have been truly exceptional if OTHER EXCEPTIONAL (Marcia Lucas, Frank Oz, Gary Kurtz, Kershner)
    people had been able to save Lucas, from himself, but he wouldn't allow it.

Its been well speculated , some think George Lucas has some low level form of Asperger's or Autism (but never diagnosed) I only heard this recently, and having seen interviews of him down through the years and working with others, especially his scripts, I'd also believe it.

Anyway that Kurtz interview is really worth checking out

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2002/11/11/an-interview-with-gary-kurtz

66 photos of the making of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. Looks amazing. Pic 4 is come at me bro!

http://imgur.com/a/HGtG0

alVAag9.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/1d7v8j/

• Advertisement

If the prequel trilogy had been turned into sort of tragic opera musical (and the prequel trilogy was exactly in that (the dresses, the costumes, the politics the theatrical dialogue in the end result (Imagine Othello). It never felt like something that needed to be made in the form it's in

It would have been amazing and we wouldn't be caring about it, because it would be different to the originals and incredibly unique way of bringing something back from the past, if Lucas had collaborated.

Star Wars OT changed cinema for the masses.

Star Wars PT could have changed musicals for the masses.
    A John Williams musical, I'd have gone and seen that!

That's the kind "out there, crazy, mental" that the whole enterprise started out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

david75 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried watching them in the machete order?

Yeah, I watched them in machete order last year. Genuinely fantastic viewing. For those unaware, 'Machete Order' is watching them like so:

Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 6

– so after the cliffhanger in Empire, and just after discovering who Darth Vader really is, you get a "flashback" to how all that came to be. Then the conclusion in ROTJ wraps it all up. No Phantom Menace because that's unbearable and really adds nothing at all to the story.

It's really the only sensible way to watch them. 123456 ruins the revelation in ESB, and 456123 doesn't have a satisfying ending at all.

Machete Order for the win.

Also, when I did this I watched the fan-edited "DESPECIALIZED EDITION" of the original trilogy. It takes the best, highest quality, source material without any of the Special Edition FX and edits together to match the original theatrical cut of the films. Fantastic quality. Fantastic edit. The only way to watch Star Wars IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Phantom Menace had the benefit of being shot on 35mm so if nothing else it had the right visual texture, as opposed to the 2 sequels that were shot on digital and looked like shiny videogame cut scenes; Episode 1 looked like a proper epic, old-fashioned film at times, and that's about all the positive you can say about it, I should hurriedly add.

Also, Phantom Menace had the benefit of containing none of the hamfisted, awful romantic plot & dialogue that pushed Episodes two and three into the realms of true, inescapable ineptitude.

"You are so beautiful!"
    "It's only because I'm so in love..."
    "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."

:pac:

Episode 1 is the most "Star Wars-y" looking of the prequels, especially the stuff on Tatooine, least it's a real location. That's what I always loved about the SW universe, the battered, grubby look to everything instead of a hyper clean sci-fi setting like Star Trek or 2001 or something. The universe looks lived in instead of a movie set. Which they then undid with the prequels a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Goodshape wrote: »
    Machete Order for the win.

My favourite order is 4-5-Stop

krudler wrote: »
    Episode 1 is the most "Star Wars-y" looking of the prequels, especially the stuff on Tatooine, least it's a real location. That's what I always loved about the SW universe, the battered, grubby look to everything instead of a hyper clean sci-fi setting like Star Trek or 2001 or something. The universe looks lived in instead of a movie set. Which they then undid with the prequels a lot of the time.

Totally agree. I can't stress how much I adored the lived-in feel to the original trilogy. It gave the films a real air of authencity. One of my favourite moments is in Empire when Han gives the Falcon a whack on the bulkhead with his fist as he tries to get her started. Just brilliant!

• Advertisement

Totally agree. I can't stress how much I adored the lived-in feel to the original trilogy. It gave the films a real air of authencity. One of my favourite moments is in Empire when Han gives the Falcon a whack on the bulkhead with his fist as he tries to get her started. Just brilliant!

Indeed, the Falcon is basically a flying sh1tbox but a reliable one ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Are you an angel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair to Episode 1 - not a sentence I find myself easily saying - the parts of it that had a 'clean' aesthetic made some sense, given a lot of its setting was around the palaces of a (absolute?) monarchy on an intentionally idyllic planet. The art-deco influences on the Naboo ships made for some great eye-candy and I still think the Queen's silver ship is a fantastic looking design.

Otherwise yeah I agree with what you're saying; the grubby reality plays into the idea of the original trilogy being a set of Frontier tales, in essence; it's the Wild West in space; the outback, the furthest / wildest reaches of civilization and that's a key part of what made the older movies so timeless and universal. It's a similar trick to the one Firefly later played, even if it ladled on the Western motifs so thick as to choke the show at times.

Are you an angel?

"It's so dense. every single image has so many things going on"

"That's great"
    "It's gonna be great"
    "It's gonna be great"
    "That's great"

His inner circle looked shocked. Burtt (sound design, editor, effects, who came up with the lightsaber whoosh) who's been there since the start in 1977, looks like he's about to go off (none of him thought to second guess the script)

Confirmation Bias

as opposed to this:

Kershner sounds like Kermit!

To be fair to Episode 1 - not a sentence I find myself easily saying - the parts of it that had a 'clean' aesthetic made some sense, given a lot of its setting was around the palaces of a (absolute?) monarchy on an intentionally idyllic planet. The art-deco influences on the Naboo ships made for some great eye-candy and I still think the Queen's silver ship is a fantastic looking design.

Otherwise yeah I agree with what you're saying; the grubby reality plays into the idea of the original trilogy being a set of Frontier tales, in essence; it's the Wild West in space; the outback, the furthest / wildest reaches of civilization and that's a key part of what made the older movies so timeless and universal. It's a similar trick to the one Firefly later played, even if it ladled on the Western motifs so thick as to choke the show at times.

Oh yeah the palace and all that didnt need to look grubby, it was basically the Star Wars equivalent of Versailles or someplace opulent, and again at least those scenes were mostly shot in real locations or on actual sets. It's the hyper clean digital look to everything in the other two I hated, the CGI has aged really badly in a lot of places too. It's no wonder the actors, and to be fair the prequels actually do have decent casts for the most part, all looked so stiff and wooden, they were probably mortified chucking out awful dialogue and trying to pretend a tennis ball on a stick was a big alien.

It'll be weird seeing the Bad Robot logo instead of the Lucasfilm one (although that'll probably on it too he's bound to get some kind of credit) at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

It'll be weird seeing the Bad Robot logo instead of the Lucasfilm one (although that'll probably on it too he's bound to get some kind of credit) at the beginning.

I wonder if the Bad Robot one wont get in at the start. The nostalgia dollar is a big part of this so they'll want it to feel authentic, and little touchs like that matter. (Lucasfilm will definitely be there because Disney owns it and it's still a going concern, its one of the production companies). It won't surprise me if the whole opening sequence is some homage to the start of the original Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

My favourite order is 4-5-Stop

That's also a good option, for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

even if it ladled on the Western motifs so thick as to choke the show at times.

You take that back!!!

You take that back!!!

:P Hey, I loved Firefly's characters, I just never fell for its setting; it seemed like the show just lazily raided the Western section of the studio wardrobe and all those bonnets and the plantation clothing jarred - felt more like Westworld than a living universe. Happily the movie toned it down, but some of the episodes could be excruciating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

tumblr_me0s4pOgwC1rrc78e.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

My pals brother in law is working on the sets and models in the UK. it's almost all done model wise and sets still being worked on.

Won't tell me if the Falcon is in it. It HAS to be

david75 wrote: »
    My pals brother in law is working on the sets and models in the UK. it's almost all done model wise and sets still being worked on.

Won't tell me if the Falcon is in it. It HAS to be

It will be.

It will be....

http://io9.com/first-concept-art-of-the-millennium-falcon-in-star-wars-1523014405

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Peter Mayhew will play Chewbacca again.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How? The poor man can hardly walk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I honestly do not know what that star wars thing was all about so many people showed up and nothing ?

I am talking about the world wide casting.

I know its free advestising for the next few films...but also it is not because

1000s showed up wasting 12 13 hours lets say to get told to no sorry....

Do studios really thing that 1000s of people want to wait there for 13 hours standing and told no....

Do they honestly think that we are that fanatical that we will even bother to go see the next few movies after the last three ?

Please give us your opinions

I think its interesting...having the whole world audtion and telling everyone that waited.....No

Well you've certainly lived up. toyour. name .robo.shatner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Read a report(on empire?) that they're already filming

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Haven't they been filming somewhere in Ireland for the last week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a 56 page thread here that says people are still fanatical about Star Wars.

Coincidentally, this thread should be in there too.

Advertisement