Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

1000s showed up wasting 12 13 hours lets say to get told to no sorry....
    Do studios really thing that 1000s of people want to wait there for 13 hours standing and told no....

I think you answered your own question there. Thousands of people did turn and wait hours, most of them knowing that they would not get a part.

And when the films are released, millions of people will go along to watch them, even if we do spend the next 10 years bitching about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I honestly do not know what that star wars thing was all about so many people showed up and nothing ?

I am talking about the world wide casting.

I know its free advestising for the next few films...but also it is not because

1000s showed up wasting 12 13 hours lets say to get told to no sorry....

Do studios really thing that 1000s of people want to wait there for 13 hours standing and told no....

Do they honestly think that we are that fanatical that we will even bother to go see the next few movies after the last three ?

Please give us your opinions

I think its interesting...having the whole world audtion and telling everyone that waited.....No

Maybe they realised that casting parts in what's sure to be one of the biggest films of all time via Britain's Got Talent With Lightsabers wasn't such a good idea. Maybe they realised they could just go with established professional actors with film and TV experience. Maybe they realised that the millions of Star Wars fans around the world who didn't queue up for hours for a part they were never going to get won't give a s*** that a bunch of teenagers who wanted to be Pudsey With Force Powers are bitter at missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

humanji wrote: »
    Haven't they been filming somewhere in Ireland for the last week?

LdBvEtE.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That was an April fools joke some site ran.
    They're not filming in Ireland.

Based on early statements from Lucasfilm, this set of films would have taken place from approximately 40 years after the events depicted in Return of the Jedi. The series would have been Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

The sequel trilogy was to feature Luke Skywalker as a Jedi Master in his sixties, passing on the torch to the next generation of Jedi, the dismantlement of the last remnants of the Galactic Empire and the rebuilding of the Galactic Republic. It would also have concerned the re-establishment of the Jedi Order, as foreshadowed by Yoda's line in Return of the Jedi, "Pass on what you have learned." According to a 1983 Time magazine article, its main theme would have been "the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong".

In 1983, Lucas was reported to have only a vague notion of what will happen in the three films of a sequel trilogy. He is quoted as saying "If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."

In the sequel Luke would be a sixty-year-old Jedi knight. Han Solo and Leia would be together…The sequel focuses mainly on Luke, and Lucas says Mark Hamill will have first crack at the part if he is old enough.

Looks pretty much in line with what we'll get.

The bolded parts almost feel like old school Star Trek in a sense, more philosphical. I hope we hear more about the Grey Side of the Force, which I always thought was what Luke ended on as wise, mature man at the end of the Return of the Jedi. A mixture of both. Like a samurai in civilian clothing. The robes were Tatoinne dress, not supposed to be for the whole Jedi Order.

darth-vader-vs-luke-skywalker.jpg

Both Light and Dark side were too extreme on either end, really hope they stay away from BAD BAD man vs GOOD GOOD man dogmatic ****e that plagued the prequels. Didn't he Luke use force choke on some guards in ROTJ?

The OT had some wonderfully subtle elements throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

No surprise to hear that the Expanded Universe has essentially been ditched. I just hope we get some concrete news about the films very soon.

I have mixed feelings on the issue. On the one hand, I've invested a lot of time and money in the EU over the last 20 years or so. However, the fact we're getting new films makes it all worthwhile for me.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117530

No surprise to hear that the Expanded Universe has essentially been ditched. I just hope we get some concrete news about the films very soon.

I have mixed feelings on the issue. On the one hand, I've invested a lot of time and money in the EU over the last 20 years or so. However, the fact we're getting new films makes it all worthwhile for me.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117530

I never read it only the wiki, but the whole Yuzang-Vong is exactly something approaching the kind of threat I'd be hoping for In Ep VII-IX.

Maybe something a David Fincher, Joseph Kosiniki or Nolan would have done could do.

Although with Abrams at the register, I'd imagine it's going to be nothing but call backs and nostalgia. Disney knows lightsabers print money
    He also sets up the tone,art direction for the forseeable future of the franchise, so there's a lot riding on this guy.

Anyway the EU still exists
    as opposed to this:

FuneralPyre.png
    original.jpg?w=600&h

and pray not for this:

get?url=http%3A%2F%2F31.media.tumblr.com%2Ff4d5efe1911c3d90dc0b942ef18104c1%2Ftumblr_mndci30Pjk1rtp3uyo1_500.jpg&key=Qqiy0gFhTkA6ZF647-2jLg&w=600&h=580

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I would say they are purposely going to make a terrible 7th star wars film with j j allbran

And they they will make a epic sequel the 8th film that will of course forgive all the mistakes of the 7 film.

But then again I could be wrong....cause star trek 1 remake was amazing I have to say....and the sequel was a pile of crap.

I do honeslty then he is not perfect for the job at all....

I do think after I seeing safety not guaranteed

that colin trevorrow he is a perfect director for one of the up coming star wars films....

I would say they are purposely going to make a terrible 7th star wars film with j j allbran

And they they will make a epic sequel the 8th film that will of course forgive all the mistakes of the 7 film.

But then again I could be wrong....cause star trek 1 remake was amazing I have to say....and the sequel was a pile of crap.

I do honeslty then he is not perfect for the job at all....

I do think after I seeing safety not guaranteed

that colin trevorrow he is a perfect director for one of the up coming star wars films....

I don't think that they re going to deliberately set out to make a bad film, honestly that may be the stupidest thing that I have ever read on here. Why would they spend billions obtaining the rights and another half a billion making this film and then go out of their way to make a bad film. It would kind of defeat the purpose of doing all that.

Because there honeslty is a lot of films out there that the first film are terrible....and then miracly the sequels are epic and all is forgiven...example captain america......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Because there honeslty is a lot of films out there that the first film are terrible....and then miracly the sequels are epic and all is forgiven...example captain america......
    notsureifserious.jpg

Pretty sure that most would agree that the first Captain America is by far the better film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure that most would agree that the first Captain America is by far the better film.

Not likely, but its far from a terrible film at the same time.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not likely, but its far from a terrible film at the same time.

The first Captain America was a refreshing change of pace from other Marvel films. Part 2, while good fun felt generic and lacking an identity of it's own, something the original never suffered from.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The first Captain America was a refreshing change of pace from other Marvel films. Part 2, while good fun felt generic and lacking an identity of it's own, something the original never suffered from.

I think both films felt different from other Marvel films but felt the 2nd is one of the best Marvell films over all. Anyway, off topic I guess. I agree what robotshatner said makes no sense.

Dark Knight is also an example.

But in my personal opinion Batman Begins is a lot better then the other two by far.

I am simply saying Abrams will prob mess it up.

Either mess it up or make it epic.

either way the sequel is crap or the first one is crap.

Its all a ratings game between studios

Star trek one remake was good surprising and sequel sucked.

The brothers are back for the third america movie so hopefully it was be good.
    PerrinV2 wrote: »
    notsureifserious.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Dark Knight is also an example.

But in my personal opinion Batman Begins is a lot better then the other two by far.

I am simply saying Abrams will prob mess it up.

Either mess it up or make it epic.

either way the sequel is crap or the first one is crap.

Its all a ratings game between studios

Star trek one remake was good surprising and sequel sucked.

The brothers are back for the third america movie so hopefully it was be good.

Personally I prefer Dark Knight Rises.

The Dark Knight is massively overrated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, getting back to talking about the prequels - or at least the tattle surrounding them given we're still some time away from official promos and the like. Mark Hamill's in London at the moment, and going by a snap of him has lost a fair bit of weight already, pointing towards the notion of his cameo necessitating some shedding of excess baggage :)

I don't want to get excited about these films damnit, but my inner 10 year keeps making noises in the back of my head. I wonder how Disney are going to play this, because Episode VII could end up being the worst kept secret-shoot in some time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

pixelburp wrote: »
    So, getting back to talking about the prequels - or at least the tattle surrounding them given we're still some time away from official promos and the like. Mark Hamill's in London at the moment, and going by a snap of him has lost a fair bit of weight already, pointing towards the notion of his cameo necessitating some shedding of excess baggage :)

It's not a cameo. He's playing the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

TBH, I don't want to get my hopes up either.

But, if I want the mouse to do anything, it'll be to release the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.

They can fuck the sequels up all they want then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Radiosonde wrote: »
    It's not a cameo. He's playing the lead.

Nothing has been confirmed, least of all the nature of the script; the only thing people are fairly sure of is that the cast from the original trilogy are getting bigger parts. PRobably larger than cameo roles, but still of the passing-of-the-torch sort.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder how Disney are going to play this, because Episode VII could end up being the worst kept secret-shoot in some time...

From interviews with Abrams after the release of Star Trek Into Darkness, he has seemingly learned a lesson on trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes before the film is released, after the whole John Harrison/Khan debacle, which was of course, the last worst kept movie secret.

After the prequels, I've realised that my expectations for this are pretty much non-existent, so that means that if the film is even halfway good, I'll enjoy it, so that's a plus for me I suppose.

What I'm fascinated by is how the film is going to look. When we actually watch it.
    Star Wars OT and PT had nice stable, if unremarkable directing. The story was good/captivating enough with all the mytholgical aspects that wowed audiences around the world. Lucas.Kershner and co knew their concepts more than almost any filmmaker, even if writing was only average at times.

Is it going to have the manic feel of the Abrams Star Trek movies and most other movies these days? Is he seriously going to take the risk of lens flaring.

Abrams is a damn good storyteller, its his recent superficial tendencies that let his films down. He works best under limitations (LOST pilot) (ZERO lens flare) and I thought MI3

In fact if he directed this like the LOST pilot, that would be an amazing look for the movie. I watched the pilot again recently and thought this "is why they hired the man".

Lost actually resembles Star Wars in a lot of ways due to the iconic look of the Characters and the friendships between them.

I wonder did Abrams rewrite Ardnt screenplay thinking "Damn it, I want to make my 1980's childhood Star Wars movie with the Big 3 in large parts!, not the kiddies"

Here's Hamill in London this week with the guy who played the voice of Darth Maul.
    Looking good,YEARS younger:

BmP-DpJIgAA9t3f.jpg

Ford talking to Ford chatting to the pilots of London's Air Ambulance in Grosvenor Square

proxy.jpg?t=HBhAaHR0cHM6Ly9mYXJtOC5zdGF0aWNmbGlja3IuY29tLzcxMDEvMTQwMTc5NDAxNDJfZDllYjNhMmYyN196LmpwZxSAChTcBgAWABIA&s=Ajag7G4ZX6Ldiu3GbHusLHllbxI377_xjvrEayfIN64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

Adamantium wrote: »
    What I'm fascinated by is how the film is going to look. When we actually watch it.
    Star Wars OT and PT had nice stable, if unremarkable directing. The story was good/captivating enough with all the mytholgical aspects that wowed audiences around the world. Lucas.Kershner and co knew their concepts more than almost any filmmaker, even if writing was only average at times.

Is it going to have the manic feel of the Abrams Star Trek movies and most other movies these days? Is he seriously going to take the risk of lens flaring.

Abrams is a damn good storyteller, its his recent superficial tendencies that let his films down. He works best under limitations (LOST pilot) (ZERO lens flare) and I thought MI3

In fact if he directed this like the LOST pilot, that would be an amazing look for the movie. I watched the pilot again recently and thought this "is why they hired the man".

Lost actually resembles Star Wars in a lot of ways due to the iconic look of the Characters and the friendships between them.

I wonder did Abrams rewrite Ardnt screenplay thinking "Damn it, I want to make my 1980's childhood Star Wars movie with the Big 3 in large parts!, not the kiddies"

Here's Hamill in London this week with the guy who played the voice of Darth Maul.
    Looking good,YEARS younger:

BmP-DpJIgAA9t3f.jpg

Ford talking to Ford chatting to the pilots of London's Air Ambulance in Grosvenor Square

proxy.jpg?t=HBhAaHR0cHM6Ly9mYXJtOC5zdGF0aWNmbGlja3IuY29tLzcxMDEvMTQwMTc5NDAxNDJfZDllYjNhMmYyN196LmpwZxSAChTcBgAWABIA&s=Ajag7G4ZX6Ldiu3GbHusLHllbxI377_xjvrEayfIN64

I saw that picture of Mark Hamill on Peter Serafinowicz's Twitter feed this morning. The quote underneath was "I met up with Mark Hamill in London. I wonder why he's here". Well that's that. Luke is in Episode VII!

And you're right about Hamill's appearance. He looks notably thinner than last year and with the hair parted to one side and an Obi Wan-esque type beard, he looks great.

Carrie Fisher also took to Twitter to say that her dog, Gary, is also in London. Bringing a dog into the UK from the states is difficult what with laws on rabies etc, so I presume she's on board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not sure why Abrams gets such a hard time of it really. Lens flair was a stylistic choice for his take on the Star Trek universe – really don't think it ruined those films at all and I doubt it'll carry over to Star Wars.

Have people seen Super 8? Sort of his 'take' on a Goonies / E.T. type of film. Very good, I thought. And MI:3 was good. And Star Trek's were good for what they were.

I dare say I'm looking forward to Star Wars with Abrams at the helm.

And, @Adamantium, nothing I remember from his Star Trek films was quite as 'manic' as most of the space battles in Star Wars ep.2 and 3. That stuff just stopped making sense with so much "stuff" exploding and wizzing about the screen. I'd suspect Abrams will actually bring it back home a bit. More of an (albeit updated) Original Trilogy feel than a Prequel feel.

AND OMG FISHER, FORD AND HAMILL ARE IN LONDON!! **squeee**.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Not sure why Abrams gets such a hard time of it really. Lens flair was a stylistic choice for his take on the Star Trek universe – really don't think it ruined those films at all and I doubt it'll carry over to Star Wars.

Have people seen Super 8? Sort of his 'take' on a Goonies / E.T. type of film. Very good, I thought. And MI:3 was good. And Star Trek's were good for what they were.

I dare say I'm looking forward to Star Wars with Abrams at the helm.

And, @Adamantium, nothing I remember from his Star Trek films was quite as 'manic' as most of the space battles in Star Wars ep.2 and 3. That stuff just stopped making sense with so much "stuff" exploding and wizzing about the screen. I'd suspect Abrams will actually bring it back home a bit. More of an (albeit updated) Original Trilogy feel than a Prequel feel.

AND OMG FISHER, FORD AND HAMILL ARE IN LONDON!! **squeee**.

Good points! Super 8 was very good alright.
    Is Jesse Plemons out of this now? He'd make a great lead.

And I forgot John Williams will be involved, you can see the passion in his eyes!

Here's recent photos:

jBWKg2L.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is that Jim Jefferies?

Gbear wrote: »
    Is that Jim Jefferies?

Yup, Fisher appeared in an episode of his show Legit.

I love the first Abrams Star Trek and really liked the sequel too, he even threw a millennium falcon chase sequence in the 2nd one sure. M:I 3 and Super 8 are also both damn good films. I fully expect an Abrams directed Star Wars film to be an entertaining, enjoyable, well made block buster at the very worst.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I basically compared the 2009 Star Trek to Star Wars in its style. He started to make Trek more of a fantasy universe, where he could bend/break the laws of that universe at will (which is what I did not like about his Treks)

I think that will lend itself well to Wars though. Please, please, PLEASE remove all of this sh1t about emotions being evil though. Luke has shown to be able to control his emotions and use them so let's not have any more Love leads to the Darkside bull

Advertisement