Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

My wife bought me the bluray boxset with the 6 films.

I was watching either Ep I or III and she walked into the room, was messing on her iPad for about 30 mins, and then says to me, referring to the film: "This is awful ****e!"

And she was right the prequels are beyond redemption. I couldn't even defend the film, which I normally would if we disagree on a particular film, all I could say was: ya it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There was nothing wrong with Lucas’s intention with Jar Jar. Like everything else in the Star Wars films, Jar Jar was inspired by classic cinema. Lucas modelled him on silent comedy performers. Lloyd, Keaton and especially Chaplin. Physical comedy may have fallen out of fashion but to dismiss it as childish is a mistake. It’s the most visual and cinematic of comedy. However it’s also the most difficult to get right.

The problem with Jar Jar, like so much else in the prequels, was the execution. As Ebert pointed out in his review, most of his movements seem like they were afterthoughts. He never appears to be occupying the same space as the human characters. An issue with nearly all of the CGI characters in the films. Lucas knew what he was doing, he just wasn’t able to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Jar Jar Binks is just awful.

From his name, to his stupid way of talking, to his extremely unfunny "comedy".

Absolute shit.

A terrible, terrible creation that's just impossible to justify on any level.

Lucas knew what he was doing, he just wasn’t able to do it properly.

I'm going to have to disagree there. I really think he hadn't a clue what he was doing. I think you are giving Lucas far too much credit. There is more Daffy Duck in Jar Jar when he was conceived, than Lloyd, Keaton or Chaplin.

I think Lucas hadn't a clue and probably discovered that himself when showing Episode I to people, but it was too late to change anything.

Weren't Rick McCallum and co, supposedly horrified when they saw EpI for the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Tony EH wrote: »
    Jar Jar Binks is just awful.

From his name, to his stupid way of talking, to his extremely unfunny "comedy".

Absolute shit.

A terrible, terrible creation that's just impossible to justify on any level.

He steps in poo at one point. Well played Lucas.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    He steps in poo at one point. Well played Lucas.

I think you mean Do Do.

He actually says do do doesn't he? or goo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Was it not sith?

*gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭brevity

"Dellow Felegates" - Jar Jar Binks

brevity wrote: »
    "Dellow Felegates" - Jar Jar Binks

Ugh, I forgot that. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think you mean Do Do.

He actually says do do doesn't he? or goo!

It's poodoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I'm going to have to disagree there. I really think he hadn't a clue what he was doing. I think you are giving Lucas far too much credit. There is more Daffy Duck in Jar Jar when he was conceived, than Lloyd, Keaton or Chaplin.

I think Lucas hadn't a clue and probably discovered that himself when showing Episode I to people, but it was too late to change anything.

Weren't Rick McCallum and co, supposedly horrified when they saw EpI for the first time?

He most certainly was

sbixqd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Roar wrote: »
    He most certainly was

sbixqd.jpg

Genuinely fascinating and honest suprisingly (for a lucasfilm promo) insight into the making of it. They had liitle reason to distrust him, but I'm sure as they went along they had doubts, but hey "ITS LUCAS who am I say otherwise it'll come together"

55:00 or so for the realization. Them having a few drinks afterwards is

With Ep 2 and Ep 3, it felt like the crew and cast (McCallum and Burtt) were simply doing the films because they had contractual engagements. They really believed that EP 1 would be an excellent movie.

He most certainly was

sbixqd.jpg

He's an appalling little sycophant anyway. I'm delighted he has nothing to do with the current films.

They should ask Gary Kurtz if he's interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Always got the impression that Ewan McDonald absolutely hated his Star Wars experience and that it wasn't at all what he thought it was going to be when he signed up

Ewan who

Tigger wrote: »
    Ewan who

Obi Wan Mc Donald. He's like the Hodor of the Star Wars Universe. It was HE who actually caused the fall of the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Tigger wrote: »
    Ewan who

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaace?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta Onboard for Star Wars Stand-Alone Film

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards-and-gary-whitta-onboard-for-star-wars-stand-alone-film.html

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/star-wars-godzilla-gareth-edwards-director-2016/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not Edwards' biggest fan by any stretch, but hopefully they'll cook up something worthwhile and a fresh spin on a familiar universe.

I think these standalone films are a good opportunity to address a concern raised earlier in the thread: the films focusing too much on the Jedi and all that jazz.

As far as I'm concerned, the core Star Wars films are the story of the extended Skywalker clan. In fact, I'm quite curious about where that story is going to go after a seemingly definitive conclusion. But these new films are more of a blank slate, enjoying only a tangential relationship to the core films. A fresh take on the franchise and its deep lore alongside the core series Episodes (and all the expectations they being along with them) is a solid way of encompassing old and new ideas and characters.

Although obviously above that Disney simply want to make all of the goddamn money.

He most certainly was

sbixqd.jpg

I liken Lucas to a force of nature, like the wild Yangtze river, that needs to be tempered, controlled and damned in order for geniuses like him to produce any good output or at least produce output that people appreciate (or is made understandable, and is got across, he has trouble communicating and the cast of the movies know it or feel stranded at best)

Most of the cast and crew on the OT thought of him and his ideas for the movies as weird, nuts even but it was grounded by the producers and writers, editors like Marcia Lucas, Kasdan, Leigh Brackett, Gary Kurtz, Ralph McQuarrie were the intermediatries that carved and cut a bunch of weird abstract genius that would go over the heads or be laughed at of 90% of mainstream audiences, yet through their guidance they babystepped him into making a GLOBAL modern day fairytale that almost everyone in the world knows off and will still be studied centuries from now.

The man reinvented and gave a myth for mass cinema audiences.

Unfortunately, Rick McCallum was not the Three Gorges Dam that visionaries like Lucas need. It's a pity he wasn't stopped for his own sake so it would save him from the vitriol of the prequels. Orson Welles was a mad man too.

There isn't a man or psyche in cinema more interesting than currently.

Who's to say McCallum didn't say "Hold on, let's think about this..." behind the scenes.
    Frankly I'd be scared ****less too of Lucas and have my reservations, but would know better than to push too hard when I am on the payroll. It's human.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

What if the stand aliens are better than the new trilogy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Jar jar Abrams is offering the chance to buy chances to be in Star Wars.
    Upward scale donations gets you cool gifts but also buys you chances to be in the movie.
    This to raise funds for UNICEF. Cool idea
    http://www.omaze.com/experiences/starwars-episode-vii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Adamantium wrote: »
    I liken Lucas to a force of nature, like the wild Yangtze river, that needs to be tempered, controlled and damned in order for geniuses like him to produce any good output or at least produce output that people appreciate (or is made understandable, and is got across, he has trouble communicating and the cast of the movies know it or feel stranded at best)

I liken Lucas to a really bad director who doesn't care about actors performances. The first cut of Star Wars was a disaster, with all the problems people see in the prequels: crap acting from newbie actors, bored performances from experienced actors while the director has them read the crappy dialogue he wrote while thinking about special effects.

Empire was better because a real director made it. Then things went downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

Thrill wrote: »
    Gareth Edwards and Gary Whitta Onboard for Star Wars Stand-Alone Film

Wow; that's surprising - I actually remember a few years ago I bought "PC Gamer" magazine for about a year.
    I can't believe that Gary Whitta, who I remember writing reviews of rubbish €2 bargain-basket PC games, is now writing a new Star Wars film!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I liken Lucas to a really bad director who doesn't care about actors performances. The first cut of Star Wars was a disaster, with all the problems people see in the prequels: crap acting from newbie actors, bored performances from experienced actors while the director has them read the crappy dialogue he wrote while thinking about special effects.

Empire was better because a real director made it. Then things went downhill.

Nowadays that unfortunately seems to be the case. Terence Stamp says pretty much the same thing when talking about his prequel role.

But look at American Graffiti.... Great performances from Richard Dreyfus, Ron Howard, Charles Martin Smith, Paul LeMat et al.

Strange how Lucas seems to have become more concerned with technology & effects over the years and lost that initial spark he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Nowadays that unfortunately seems to be the case.

The only direction any of the actors in the 1977 Star Wars remember from Lucas was "Try it faster".

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaace?

I've literally watched that about 20 times I think. My personal highlight is when he says "Kevin Baykun".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The only direction any of the actors in the 1977 Star Wars remember from Lucas was "Try it faster".

I believe his exact phrase was "faster, more intense"

Adamantium wrote: »
    Who's to say McCallum didn't say "Hold on, let's think about this..." behind the scenes.
    Frankly I'd be scared ****less too of Lucas and have my reservations, but would know better than to push too hard when I am on the payroll. It's human.

Ricky boy know the shillings were going to roll in. So, he nodded and said yes to what his master wanted to hear.

Fuck art, fuck posterity, fuck the audience...

...I have a new gaff and a yacht!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Watch out for Yoda's expressions toward the end. Absolute LOL genius...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_W5OuuV-hk

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Remember reading about this months ago but saw the clip just there:

That was recorded in 1983.
    Pretty cool to think that the idea of episode 7 was in Lucas' mind back then. Guess Disney used his idea as the basis for ep 7.

Advertisement