Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Something I didn't know. The FX in Episode 1 used more miniature models than featured in the entire OT

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/

Episode 2 has filming in Tuscany Italy and load at that gorgeous meadow.
    Episode 3 used actual volcanic eruption/shoots footage from Mt Etna

I don't have a problem with the prequels and their special effects at all (though much less would be better), it's the writing dialogue and directing of scenes and performances (not all the time, but some of the time), that some of the best actors couldn't have pulled off.

CGI is a thing we can all bash as it its easy to so so, but a story or script is a far more subjective thing

Despite all this, I sort of love them for some odd reason and the more critisicm I hear of them that I understand, it only makes my love of them, harden even more.

GL has the brass balls in the prequels, to open the universe and NOT make it an original trilogy tribute, to make it different. It had all the reasons to be a compelling dark downfall opera of a man and the democracy around him, and workmanlike as ROTS was I really liked it, a a pity he started to get it some what right with the last one as it was too late. That film and even AOTC is filled with great earnest moments and iconic moments.

I remember as 14 year old watching Revenge of the Sith in awe of how it delivered the downfall of Anakin, Rise of the Empire, and how sad it was. It was far more sad and tragic and emotional then I had expected to let myself in for.

This is going to sound a bit strange, but I love how much of a train wreck Anakin was, he was always a earnest, but highly disturbed man having grown up in the way he did, and how their relationship was highly dysfunctional, it coloured them a bit more than I was expecting,as if these two young lovers (people) were driven mad and soft by the decadence of the Republic in its last days.

It gave me not wanted, but something different. They may have been terrible parents to have anyway, which is ironic; Luke and Leia were sort of saved from them by Obi Wan and grew up in the ruins so to speak.

When I First watched it, that was the impression I got.

A lot of franchises talk about an "event movie", but at the end it was one of the only times were I was sad to see it go and the saga was complete.

In 50-60 years time when they want to be reboot, they won't have to, as they can just go thousands of years into the future and it'll all be new again.

with Lucas I could sit and listen to him talk for hours about his use of cinematic form, his love of Kurosawa, his interest in anthropology and mythology. Its this sort of influence that makes Star Wars, an extereme rarity, and evergreen series.

As much as I like Abrams and I do What are JJ Abrams' interests? Beyond the summer blockbusters he loved growing up? He'd be like one of us just making the fan film he wanted I wouldn't want that, I wouldn't trust myself.

The best artists speak to us about the human condition, and I find myself getting sucked in watching the prequels despite how bad some individual parts of them are, because there are very few people with a knowledge of cinematic form like GL, there's a reason people love to hate them, because they know there is something IMMENSE inside the prequels screaming to get out.

Anyway here is a great mashup of the prequels with X-men First Class

Something I didn't know. The FX in Episode 1 used more miniature models than featured in the entire OT

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/

The video in that link.

1q48g1I.jpg

A very recent photo of him. A testament to fitness and nutrition in just over a year so, and how anybody can do it.

His face and beard man, he looks ready to mess somebody up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Hamill looks in good nick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ Massive difference compared to how heavy he was up until about a year ago

article-2173229-140C495D000005DC-486_468x650.jpg

Fan made poster but man it'd be cool if they made him look like this

starwars-episode7a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ I hope not, he looks like a perv stalker in that fan poster! ;)

Fair play re the weight, though I imagine the Disney finances could afford any number of the best dieticians. I remember seeing Hamill in an interview for the Arkham series of games and being pretty shocked at how obese he'd become.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

If he was true to the role....he would go to a cave que 80s montage music and come out actually looking like alec guniness and have a decent beard.

But we all know that is not going to happen.

1926803_10152242450516245_7342904733796234638_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

^^^Slight shame this will be out just days before Xmas. Summer is the time for Star Wars in the cinema. Xmas is for Star Wars on TV. Kinda wish they'd left it until May 2016.

^^^Slight shame this will be out just days before Xmas. Summer is the time for Star Wars in the cinema. Xmas is for Star Wars on TV. Kinda wish they'd left it until May 2016.

It's out on my 30th birthday meaning that I'll have to ensure that nothing is planned for that day. Been a long time since I've been looking forward to anything Star Wars related but I'm hoping that between now and then I'll start to really look forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Been thinking about it. This new trilogy has two huge things going for it. The warmth and safety of loved characters being involved again, Abrams' handling of future Spock in ST was pretty great, so he'll know what he's doing here, but mainly? It really would be impossible for it to be as bad as the prequels.

We're having old friends brought back to us in a world we know and love. I'm deciding to ditch the skepticism and be excited. Maybe setting myself up for a fall but let's see.

david75 wrote: »
    Been thinking about it. This new trilogy has two huge things going for it. The warmth and safety of loved characters being involved again, Abrams' handling of future Spock in ST was pretty great, so he'll know what he's doing here, but mainly? It really would be impossible for it to be as bad as the prequels.

We're having old friends brought back to us in a world we know and love. I'm deciding to ditch the skepticism and be excited. Maybe setting myself up for a fall but let's see.

I always thought there was one more film after Episode VI, where we see these war heroes now having to readjust and see what the hell they were fighting, was it in the end worth it? What would they differently or deal with the knowledge that Vader was their father and the wider public, is a secret?

So this film is like a pipe dream come to life. It's brave of them in a sense, to bring back characters considering we're now 30 years removed and one trilogy apart.

Plus it's going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

david75 wrote: »

I have the feeling the old cast are only back for the first one. I could be wrong though. I do have a strong feeling Harrison is only doing one, hence him having a heavy role in the first one. He may be killed off.

I hope they go back to duels that are physical as hell, the looks on their faces, this fight from die another day is brutal, I think it'd be great evolution of the OT style.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Harrison Ford Injured on the Set of ‘Star Wars: Episode VII,
    According to Disney, the actor was hospitalized after sustaining a bad ankle injury during filming on Wednesday.

Variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

I knew they should have used less actual sets and more CGI.

Harrison Ford Injured on the Set of ‘Star Wars: Episode VII,

Variety

CGI > live action hydraulic doors crushing stars.

Han Solo with a limp would actually be kinda cool.
    He could have a cane that doubles as a blaster

It was probably a lens flare that dazzled Ford & caused him to trip

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/477855012526518272/photo/1

BqGumh5IAAEMY1s.jpg

MASSIVE SPOILERS IF TRUE:

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/06/6-13-14-now-podcasting-episode-37/

About Episode VI ending :
    People saying it was too neat or that the Empire wouldn't collapse so easily, are in for a treat
    There is no New Republic, but the Empire aren't in control either more like spiteful co-existing, love if it was a kind of Mad Max scenario and a power vaccuum, people at Pinewood report redesigned stormtrooper outfits, the eyes are thin black strip , some sort of Neo-Imperialists. I mean, it always felt like it would have taken a bit more than blowing up the Emperor and DS 2 to win back the whole galaxy. And I love that it seems to provide a way to keep Imperials and Sith involved in a new way that feels like a continuation from ROTJ. I mean, if we'd had the ST in the 90s, this feels like the kind of direction George might have taken it. It's almost a similar way of resetting to the way Empire Strikes Back kicked off after ANH.

Considering George has always said the sequels would focus on the "rebuilding" of the Republic, I think it's completely appropriate for it to not exist at the beginning of Episode VII. 30 years of chaos isn't unbelievable either. See: "Medieval Europe."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

unlikely, 30 years after the fact....though the rebellion forces were never enough to beat them alone unless all plantes rose against their local imperial forces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Breaking: Rian Johnson to Write and Direct Star Wars: Episodes VIII and IX!
    Deadline is reporting that Rian Johnson is making plans to direct Star Wars: Episode VIII and Star Wars: Episode IX. We're updating the story with more information right now, so check back momentarily...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119778

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not sold on Rian Johnson if I'm honest but I did enjoy Looper.

He did direct three of the best episodes of Breaking Bad so for those three episodes alone I will hold out hope that he won't crush my dreams that these movies will be great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've really enjoyed all Johnson's films so seems like a smart and potentially fruitful move. One more notch on the 'Signs that the new Star Wars films won't be utter crap' chalkboard. Most of his films have played around with or subverted their respective genres in some way - probably too much to hope for a similar situation here, but still a pretty exciting choice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shame the trilogy won’t have a consistent directorial vision. If Abrams and Disney weren’t able to reach a compromise over release dates (which I assume is a factor in him not returning), they should have just got Johnson to direct all three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've been impressed with Johnson's output so far and this seems like great news to me. A very smart choice; heck it's quite a brave one considering they're handing writing duties over to Johnson too, as his work so far has tended to be a little bit subversive in their own way.

Yes, it's a shame there's not much potential consistency in the directorial vision, but in terms of a studio setting out a marker it's a serious gesture, credit where credit's due. I want to remain impartial and cautious about these new films but it genuinely feels like Disney are making a sincere effort to undo the ill-will generated by Lucas' legendary feats of cinematic incontinence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/480056853435396096

I guess that's a confirmation. :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shame Abrams won't do the whole trilogy but Johnson is a worthy replacement. Have enjoyed all his films and though Looper had its flaws it was still miles ahead of most blockbusters.

Rian Johnson. OH YES.

And he's writing it? OH HELL YES.

And Episode IX too? OH GOOD GOD YES

A brave and right move from Disney. I wonder if Bad Robot and Abrams will be involved now?

I love Abrams, but An INFINITELY better and more artistic choice than J.J.

Breaking Bad, Looper, Brick?

I wonder if Abrams was too heavy handed in molding the film , exteding the release date and not given an inch to Disney and that is why he is out? The man has an empire to run and a family too. Has the Harrison Ford ankle fiasco, soured the leadership?. It was his idea after all, to bring Ford and the other two back as main characters for the first film.
    Abrams is a collaborative, but confrontational director and has an ego (and I mean those things in the best way possible)

Didn't Abrams almost leave Episode 7 because of family and almost not getting things is own way?

Makes me wonder if Johnson will be strong enough to stand up to committee?
    Though he is writing these movies which most interesting of all. He's a guy that takes his time and has said so (to his detriment)

Is he really going to be able to make the films he wants with Disney, Lucasfilm and Bad Robot all crushing down upon him?

Sort of makes me sad that Johnson wasn't brought into begin with, maybe he'll Irvin Kershner these two!

I love the idea of Abrams producing like Lucas, J.J clearly gets the essence of SW with Kasdan (maybe) and Johnson on the ground

Looper was "faith restored in mainstream" cinema good. Johnson managed to get the best performance out of Bruce Willis in years. Johnson was my 2nd pick along with David Fincher to do a SW movie.

Man this so far away from the process of the prequels, it's surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Adamantium wrote: »

Man this so far away from the process of the prequels, it's surreal

Taking complete creative control away form Lucas is the best thing to happen the franchise since Empire. He is a good ideas man when he wants to be but he should never be allowed write anything Star Wars based ever again.

We're in safe hands. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Advertisement