Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Anyway, I think JJ Abrams has fallen on hard times/will do anything and he's really here, to film his passion project, a Kerrygold butter ad. Only to be accosted by some farmer/B&B owner that the boat isn't running today and he'll have to stay the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Its the Lost islands. JJ getting mixed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I guess we're a long way from the days of the Star Wars production pretending to be shooting 'Blue Harvest', so they could film in secret. It's not even that easy to avoid this kinda news, plastered as it was across every Irish news outlet. Hollywood coming to our sleepy land! ;)

I kinda miss the days when films and their shooting remained a mystery til that first trailer. Set photos and spies spoil some of the fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

pixelburp wrote: »
    I guess we're a long way from the days of the Star Wars production pretending to be shooting 'Blue Harvest', so they could film in secret. It's not even that easy to avoid this kinda news, plastered as it was across every Irish news outlet. Hollywood coming to our sleepy land! ;)

I kinda miss the days when films and their shooting remained a mystery til that first trailer. Set photos and spies spoil some of the fun...

I agree to an extent, but it also adds to the fun.

Even in those days, however, secretly filming in the desert still didn't stop hardcore fans taking a few sneaky snaps -

http://www.propstore.com/cms/on-location-buttercup-valley-1982/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Just seen this Kevin Smith video here bloody good insight and also very funny. Seems like JJ is going all old school on this big time with practical effects.... I cannot wait to see it... even a teaser i think would be amazing so long as the lens flare is way down.

• Advertisement

Abrams has said the style he's shooting it in, is completely different from his other movies. More classical, i'd assume

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

thats encouraging...i watched the kevin smith video..i hope hes right..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Aul Skywalker hasn't lost as much weight as I thought.

10550834_10152156067065806_5013982959701658797_n_thumb%25255B6%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

py2006 wrote: »
    Aul Skywalker hasn't lost as much weight as I thought.

10550834_10152156067065806_5013982959701658797_n_thumb%25255B6%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

Source

He looks like he's shooting The Big Jediski.

Deadly:

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They've been filming on my mates ship (he's in the navy) said he met most of the cast and everyone was really nice. Seen pictures of him with Mark Hamill & JJ Abrams

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Gbear wrote: »
    He looks like he's shooting The Big Jediski.

Hey, careful man, there's a lightsaber here.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Mark Hamill tweets -

"Ireland you are wonderful! Love the country, love the people!"

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/494828367318089728

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just seen that this is being filmed in 2D, so all the 3D will be done in post :mad:

If the studios think 3D is the future, I wish they would stop doing it half arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just seen that this is being filmed in 2D, so all the 3D will be done in post :mad:

If the studios think 3D is the future, I wish they would stop doing it half arsed

I don't think they do.

It's a gimmick they're going to milk until it goes out of fashion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Abrams doesn’t like 3D or digital. Plus he’s shooting parts of the film in 70mm IMAX, so shooting in 3D wasn’t an option. Maybe they’ll bully Johnson into shooting the film digitally to save a few bucks, but I’d imagine there was never any question of getting Abrams to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Abrams doesn’t like 3D or digital. Plus he’s shooting parts of the film in 70mm IMAX, so shooting in 3D wasn’t an option. Maybe they’ll bully Johnson into shooting the film digitally to save a few bucks, but I’d imagine there was never any question of getting Abrams to do it.

:D did not know this, good stuff.

Tubridy: "So Mark, a green lightsaber, would there be any connection to the Emerald Isle?"

Hamill: "Well we actually filmed down in Kerry last year, w.."

Tubridy: "OH YEEESSSSS.. (leaning forward intensely)"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just seen that this is being filmed in 2D

FUCKING GOOD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Tony EH wrote: »
    FUCKING GOOD!
    Just to be clear, I'm all for it being filmed in 2D, especially bits onn IMAX film like Sad Professor mentipned.
    Its the conveting it to "fake" 3D that I don't like
    Chris Nolan refusses to have 3D prints of his films produced, if Abrams hates it so much why doesn't he do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m pretty sure Disney announced that the films were going to be in 3D before Abrams was even hired. But even if he did have any say in it that would have before he informed Disney of his plans to sack their writer, throw out the script and delay the film’s release 6-12 months while he re-wrote it. As with Star Trek into Darkness, 3D would have been the first thing up for re-negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Chris Nolan refusses to have 3D prints of his films produced, if Abrams hates it so much why doesn't he do the same?

Money. Fake 3D boosts ticket prices, and that first couple of weekends box office is very important.

Anyone hear of the rumours that Sheamus (from WWE) will be playing Vader?
    I cant confirm that i wont not be reprising role of Darth Vader in #StarWars ... I hope that's clear @IrishMirror ;)http://t.co/hj0JNigkYm

I know he was spotted around Kerry at the time of shooting but...... meh!

A couple sites claim to have the plot for Episode VI (or certainly the opening sequence). Could all be fake and probably is but sure:
    Badass Digest claims to have details about the plot of Episode VII, and, if true, it's going to have a ridiculous MacGuffin. So, spoilers if you chose to read on.

Let's preface this with the standard disclaimer: This could all be fake, so take everything with an entire box of Morton's kosher salt.

According to the article, the thing that sets the whole plot in motion is: Luke Skywalker's hand and lightsaber from The Empire Strikes Back. The hand's apparently been chilling in space for a few decades and now is falling to a desert planet.

There, the new heroes of the trilogy find it: Daisy Ridley and John Boyega. The two decide to return it — it's unclear if "it" is just the lightsaber or the hand and the lightsaber — to the proper people. They run into Han and Chewie, who recognize it as Luke's, but they haven't seen him since Return of the Jedi. Which, seriously? They haven't seen Luke in 30 years?

I really hope they ditch the hand and just keep the lightsaber, otherwise this is A) going to be unintentionally hilarious and B) be very reminiscent of Doctor Who. So the whole quest of the film is a search for Luke.

Other details include an ice planet where evil people are building a weapon that can destroy whole solar systems. (Of all the things that survived the great EU purge, I was not expecting the Suncrusher to be one of them).

Badass Digest says the whole structure of Episode VII is intentionally designed to mimic that of A New Hope:

In many ways this plot of Episode VII is an echo of A New Hope. Instead of R2 coming to Tatooine it's a hand falling from the sky, but the basic sweep of the story is similar, and intentionally so. But things that seem familiar may not be as familiar as you think - don't assume that every ice or desert planet in the galaxy has already been visited, if you know what I'm saying.

The initial report was followed up by a second, clarifying article which stated that the sources of the first report have been reliable in the past. It also contained the detail that Boyega's character is a Stormtrooper who switches sides, which Badass Digest's Devin Faraci says is "the single most confirmed piece of news I've ever written about in terms of sheer volume of independent sources who agree." He also says that all the desert filming that people have assumed is Tatooine is actually a different planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

That news is 3 weeks old.

oh

Well first I heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ That sounds utterly daft.

True story: Christopher Walken was almost Han Solo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I would not believe a word Devin Faraci says. A bitter and biased hack.

Advertisement