Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

B3Oh-nhCIAAyW8z.jpg:large

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Select Theaters". Yeah, and everywhere on YouTube about 30 seconds after screening. I imagine those Content admins will be on overtime this weekend...

pixelburp wrote: »
    "Select Theaters". Yeah, and everywhere on YouTube about 30 seconds after screening. I imagine those Content admins will be on overtime this weekend...

There will no doubt be an official online release too. Disney know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Disney know what they are doing.

Yes, just look at the fine job they did with "A Princess John Carter of Mars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There will no doubt be an official online release too. Disney know what they are doing.

It may and it may not: many trailers and previews that appear at the various genre conventions such as Comic-Con don't always get an 'official' release on the net. And even if this mysterious teaser gets an official upload - and all things being equal it probably will - if it's not a parallel release you can guarantee every video-sharing site will get inundated with illegal cam recordings of the teaser.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Disney, Lucasfilm and JJ know that. They ain't stupid.

They've just released more details. 30 cinemas around the US will be showing it

AZ PHOENIX HARKINS TEMPE MARKETPLACE
    CA LOS ANGELES AMC CENTURY CITY
    CA LOS ANGELES Indep EL CAPITAN
    CA IRVINE REGAL SPECTRUM IRVINE 21
    CA SAN FRANCISCO AMC METERON 16
    CA SAN JOSE CINEMARK OAKRIDGE 20
    CA SAN DIEGO REGAL MIRA MESA 18
    CAN TORONTO CPX YOUNGE & DUNDAS
    CAN VANCOUVER CPX RIVERPORT
    CO DENVER AMC WESTMINSTER 24
    DC WASH D.C AMC TYSONS CORNER 16
    FL MIAMI CARMIKE PARISIAN 20
    GA ATLANTA REGAL ATLANTIC STATION
    IL CHICAGO REGAL CITY NORTH
    MA BOSTON AMC BOSTON COMMONS 19
    MI DETROIT CINEMARK SHOWCASE 20
    MN MINNEAPOLIS AMC SOUTHDALE
    MO KANSAS CITY AMC STUDIO 30
    NY NEW YORK AMC LINCOLN SQUARE 12
    NY NEW YORK REGAL UNION SQAURE
    OH CLEVELAND CINEMARK CINEMARK 24
    PA PHILADELPHIA REGAL WARRINGTON 22
    TN NASHVILLE CARMIKE THOROUGHBRED 20
    TN KNOXVILLE REGAL PINNACLE
    TX DALLAS CINEMARK PLANO 20
    TX HOSTON REGAL MARQ*E STADIUM 23
    TX AUSTIN ALAMO ALAMO S LAMAR
    UT SALT LAKE CITY CINEMARK CINEMARK 24 WJ
    WA SEATTLE REGAL THORNTON PLACE 14
    WI MILWAUKEE MARCUS BROOKFIELD 16

As for John Carter....how about Marvel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Someone did a great fanmade one that was released yesterday

Rumours of two trailers being released this week. The one in cinemas and an internet/tv one released Thursday for Thanksgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adamantium wrote: »
    Someone did a great fanmade one that was released yesterday

Just saw few people sharing that this morning, watched in work with no audio, and got completely done into thinking it was real :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yes, just look at the fine job they did with "A Princess John Carter of Mars

Thing is; Disney's marketing department had serious mis-givings about John Carter's marketing campaign. Lasseter backed Stanton over them and was granted pretty much total control of the direction they took.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thing is; Disney's marketing department had serious mis-givings about John Carter's marketing campaign. Lasseter backed Stanton over them and was granted pretty much total control of the direction they took.

I never bought any of the stuff that came out about John Carter. It stank of a marketing exec trying to save their future career prospects by scapegoating Stanton.

Yes, Disney's marketing department told me the same thing.

Trailer will hit the net via iTunes on Friday

With the trailer right around the corner, the below article made for an interesting and apt read, detailing the various scenes that were dropped from Episode IV (the link includes the scenes themselves in rough form) .

I always knew there were a few bits and pieces left on the cutting room floor of Star Wars, and certainly many would know of the dreadful CGI Jabba scene from the 'Special Edition', but I never realised just how much was left behind and how detrimental it would have been to the pacing had they stayed in. Really does seem like it was a movie won in the editing room, not by the younger Lucas' talent. That scene with Luke and his friends is particularly godawful:

http://io9.com/star-wars-deleted-scenes-reveal-the-utter-disaster-that-1663817712

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Anyone know what time it's likely to go online at?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Really does seem like it was a movie won in the editing room, not by the younger Lucas' talent.

Yes, watching the extras that came with the 3 disc DVD special edition, it was clear that the original Star Wars had all the flaws of the prequels: a bad script with rubbish dialogue, some hopelessly inexperienced actors, no direction from the director who wanted everyone to recite their lines so he could go work on special effects.

Apparently the first version cut was appallingly bad, and then Paul Hirsch and Richard Chew came onboard and cut the move we all know.

We've come a lonnnnng way baby: I'd forgotten how terrible the lightsaber FX looked in the original film! And the narration feels terribly creepy in light of what we eventually learn about Luke and Leia :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'd imagine on opening days they just didn't have time to run the trailers and previews beforehand, not sure what format they come on since films are on hard drives now not reels. I saw Interstellar in IMAX and there was no trailers or ads whatsoever, just bam, started at the logos as soon as the lights went down.

Interstellar in 70mm/True IMAX was on reels, and 70mm and 35mm. In the Manchester IMAX I saw it in there was a good 15 minutes of ads, usual TV ads mixed in with movie trailers. Not sure if they showed the ads on the digital projectors and then switched to the 70mm projector for the film though but it's possible because there was a minute or two between the ads ending and the film starting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

if like me, youre excited for the trailer tomorrow, this is an exciting read..
    http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-force-awakens-trailer-special/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Trailer has leaked! I'm sure it'll be taken down soon so watch quick.

Even with all the hype this certainly didn't let me down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Goodshape wrote: »

Looks awesome! Now that's how you do a teaser trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Goodshape wrote: »

Waaaay too much CGI. It would seem JJ Abrams deceived us all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

At least it's better than the prequels.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Sometimes murderous thoughts can be quite liberating:-):-):-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Can't believe they brought back Jar Jar for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looks better than the Jurassic World trailer. Amirite?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

various and numerous expletives ahoy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I must've been Rickrolled at least 8 times this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Proper leak out now... no rickrolling I swear. It a cam job so quality isn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I have been rick rolled once, I won't be rolled again. :mad:

Advertisement