Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Most surprising thing? No shots of the old cast: I half-expected a few fleeting glances of them for the sake of it.

Thats the thing. Everyone wants to see them. They're gonna make us stew a while longer i suspect...really build up the tension.
    Gonna be mad when it does happen, when we finally get to see Luke, Han and Leia...its been over 30 years since "Return of the Jedi". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can anyone place the Sith dood's voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love the movement of the Sith as he trudges through the forest, and the reaction as he obviously senses something. Little things like that really encourage me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That lightsaber looks muck in fairness, too skinny and looks like something a child would use. . If they really wanted a cool saber why not 2 beams/crystals within a single lightsaber?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The voiceover is hardly Cumberbatch . . . again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Love it!

Sat here with a big gaping jaw, cannot wait!

Those X-Wings, that lightsaber...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Gbear wrote: »
    Can anyone place the Sith dood's voice?

Is it Max von Sydow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There really is something stirring about that music, those visuals, that makes you think 'prequels? What prequels?' I honestly thought my love for Star Wars was effectively neutered by those dreadful prequels, that I'd finally grown out of the films and its universe, yet here I am, grinning like a 10 year old an thinking "YIPEEEE!"

Abrams may yet deliver a sub-standard film, but for now I feel like a kid. Tis great!

Is it Max von Sydow?

He voiced this character in Skyrim.

Go to 6:30.

It's definitely him.

So I'd imagine we're going to get another martial artist with CGI or prosthetics playing the Sith and have him voiced by Von Sydow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

2e6fols.jpg

Case Closed.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I won't lie lads. I have a semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Blazer wrote: »
    That lightsaber looks muck in fairness, too skinny and looks like something a child would use. . If they really wanted a cool saber why not 2 beams/crystals within a single lightsaber?

That to me sounds naff. So I suppose you won't please everyone. I love how sinister it looks though, and how 'cruddy' it looks. Presumably the Sith are the ones in hiding so they have very limited access to the parts to make a sabre so it turns out a bit shoddy looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

.ak wrote: »
    That to me sounds naff. So I suppose you won't please everyone. I love how sinister it looks though, and how 'cruddy' it looks. Presumably the Sith are the ones in hiding so they have very limited access to the parts to make a sabre so it turns out a bit shoddy looking.

Agreed. Moaning about the saber reeks of someone desperate to have a shot at the movie no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Visually this looks like AMAZING - that shot of the x-wing over water, the falcon twirling all over the place, the Sith ... Hell even the StormTroopers look badass and not a bunch of crosseyed dopes!

And that football droid looks funny in a good way :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just on the lightsaber's crossguard - because already it looks like it might be the point of fan ... well, if not outrage, then high emotion at least - I fairly sure I've seen old medieval swords where the crossguard was weaponised: that is, they were sharpened to a point so in close quarters you could bash your opponent with it and cause an injury. At first I thought the new saber looked a bit silly, but on reflection it looks pretty lethal and sinister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Don't get the whole Stars Wars thing now. The old ones which i saw a few months ago don't hold up now poor acting bubblegum dialogue. Just Hollywood milking the Big Title brand name thing again.And if the old ensemble or should i say Wrinkles are in it then that's for the older audience nothing more.Stinker i predict seems these days most Foreign movies are the ones to watch for ideas and originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

That saber will change before the final edit i'd say. still a year to work on the film.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Don't get the whole Stars Wars thing now. The old ones which i saw a few months ago don't hold up now poor acting bubblegum dialogue. Just Hollywood milking the Big Title brand name thing again.And if the old ensemble or should i say Wrinkles are in it then that's for the older audience nothing more.Stinker i predict seems these days most Foreign movies are the ones to watch for ideas and originality.

So edgy.

So deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The prequels were a toy cash in. This looks much more a labour of love.... as well as a toy cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Rumours abound the first teaser trailer could drop sometime this week!

Also two descriptions of the trailer have circulated tonight:
    It’ll be short. And when I say short, I mean one minute long. It’s going to have The Force Theme played on woodwinds, softly, over flashing images of the main leads, each fading to black. There’s no dialogue, just reveals of the characters. And then the music swells up into a full orchestral piece – perhaps what John Williams recorded this weekend? – and we hear a female voice, likely Daisy Ridley’s, saying “Wake up.”
    And then the title card appears – Star Wars: The Force Awakens – and we see the Millennium Falcon, firing blasters, coming right at the camera.

and

Fade in from black, shots of the dunes, Boyega pops in to the shot from below. He’s wearing white Stormtrooper armor but he doesn’t have a helmet on.
    In the teaser we only see Boyega and Ridley really.
    Ridley boards a speeder.
    She has a helmet on like Endor Leia, a design with pop-down goggles.
    A shot of Ridley’s speeder approaching the station (the TMZ set we saw).
    We see the new Stormtroopers on a transport. The flight is turbulent.
    New X-wings.
    TIE Fighters.
    The new Soccer Ball Droid
    The new “Sith” is also revealed. He has a cross-beam lightsaber and the beam flickers strangely.
    The Falcon.

Well...the second one is spot on. Wonder will we get the first one as the next teaser?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I hope/feel/think that Abrams has been influenced by Firefly/Serenity (which was like the best parts of SW distilled)

That swooping shot reminds me of their ship leaving for orbit at the very end of Serenity.
    The effects looks incredible for something over a year away
    Anyone think the struggle from the OT has been inverted with the Rebels not being the majority power and the Empire now the lower power

animation3xcda7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

tumblr_nfr9dzq7ok1rk2xpdo1_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

It looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Safe to say albeit from that short clip that there's enough there to safely venture it's already better than the prequels.

The Light sabre is fine and a nice novel twist. There are already lightwhips in the Star Wars universe which is a much bigger stretch. There is no problem with the cross guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

FOOK OFF!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It hasnt been confirmed but i'm siding with the speculation that that's Cumberbatch doing the voice over..

also, we dont know what Luke did with Vaders lightsaber, doubtful he left it on the funeral pyre...so it might well be his, adapted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

david75 wrote: »
    It hasnt been confirmed but i'm siding with the speculation that that's Cumberbatch doing the voice over..

also, we dont know what Luke did with Vaders lightsaber, doubtful he left it on the funeral pyre...so it might well be his, adapted..

Sounds like Max Von Sydow

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

This isn't the thread you're looking for... move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Adamantium wrote: »
    I hope/feel/think that Abrams has been influenced by Firefly/Serenity (which was like the best parts of SW distilled)

That swooping shot reminds me of their ship leaving for orbit at the very end of Serenity.
    The effects looks incredible for something over a year away
    Anyone think the struggle from the OT has been inverted with the Rebels not being the majority power and the Empire now the lower power

animation3xcda7.gif

That clip is quite simply awesome.

The brief shots of the stormtroopers were pretty cool too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Amazing how they managed to finish the CGI for their trailer and it looks fantastic. No BS excuses from Abrams & co.!

*cough* Jurassic World *cough*

Advertisement