Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

david75 wrote: »
    see? looks more like flame than light
    B3ib4hqCUAEyqgV.jpg

Could be a blow torch for a bit of DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It's so weird to see energised cinematography in SW for the first time in 30 years that doesn't resort solely to A camera/B camera over the shoulder of the characters shot. Lucas seemed utterly disinterested/bored with the characters stuff despite his intention of it being a character study, it shows you could kill a story and its energy flat with bad camera work. This looks raw, bright (kinda Game of Thronesy) and not flustered with unecessary depth focus, The close shots of the Stormtroopers make me want to sign up

The shot of the MF looks like something I could imgaine viewing from my backyard.

Amazing what can happen when the director leaves his seat and puts down the coffee

I think it's absolutely BANANAS how almost every shot from that trailer looked like a piece of concept art come to life. A feast

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

david75 wrote: »
    see? looks more like flame than light
    B3ib4hqCUAEyqgV.jpg

Yeah, love it. Looks really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I swore star wars was dead to me..but all she had to to was flutter her eye lashes and she has me worse than ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Can't believe the lightsaber is causing such problems with some people. You can't please everyone about every aspect of a movie (trailer) but "the look of a saber"! Really?! Personally, I think it looks cool and intimidating. Does it have to be anything more than that to justify the design?

As for the flame look, again it's a style thing. It's still a saber, perhaps it's just a crudely built one and the outer extremity of it is slightly unstable, giving the "flame" look. Maybe the Sith likes it that way. What does it really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Man, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I nearly lost it when the Music kicked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Excellent, really enjoyed it. Was kind of hoping we might see even a glimpse of the old gang but probably best to hold off until the next one.

It should be pointed out that it is only a teaser trailer and the teaser trailers for all the prequels were pretty decent too (the AOTC trailer was excellent IMO)...but...but....this just feels different. Come on JJ old buddy...don't let us down!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

and you can see by the hilt that it is definitely a lightsabre just a very unconventional one

Adamantium wrote: »
    It's so weird to see energised cinematography in SW for the first time in 30 years that doesn't resort solely to A camera/B camera over the shoulder of the characters shot. Lucas seemed utterly disinterested/bored with the characters stuff despite his intention of it being a character study, it shows you could kill a story flatoring camera work with b . This looks raw, bright and not flustered with unecessary depth focus, The close shots of the Stormtroopers make me want to sign up

The shot of the MF looks like something I could imgaine viewing from my backyard.

Amazing what can happen when the director leaves his seat and puts down the coffee

I think it's absolutely BANANAS how almost every shot from that trailer looked like a piece of concept art come to life. A feast

tHr8b5u.jpg

Have to say I didn't like the MF scene when I first saw it but I think that's because I got caught up with the fact it's cgi, but the way the camera traces like another aircraft it's amazing.

Also I really, really love the new storm trooper helmet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Bacchus wrote: »
    Can't believe the lightsaber is causing such problems with some people.

Nitpicking on the film forum? Get out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Not a lot to go on so hard to judge. I'm just a bit apprehensive as I thought Abrams' Star Trek films were terrible.

Not a lot to go on so hard to judge. I'm just a bit apprehensive as I thought Abrams' Star Trek films were terrible.

Ah really? For me they've been the best Star Trek movies since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

.ak wrote: »

Just a mindless CGI orgy to me, I'm no Trekkie either, and I loved First Contact. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think I may just turn the lights down, turn the soundbar up and watch A New Hope tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭brevity

Excellent trailer! Really looking forward to it. Even more now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

.ak wrote: »

I think people were falling into the trap of comparing them to the TV show, especially DS9 and TNG.

The Wrath of Khan aside, Star Trek films have been mostly garbage.

They've been sci-fi action since Generations and Abrams films definitely deliver on that front.

I think that style is even better suited to SW because it was proper Space Opera from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Adamantium wrote: »
    Anyone think the struggle from the OT has been inverted with the Rebels not being the majority power and the Empire now the lower power

All I'll say is take a look at the helmet of the X-Wing pilots, the symbol for the Republic is branded on it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

12 Must-Pause Moments From The Star Wars Force Awakens Teaser Trailer

http://www.empireonline.com/features/star-wars-the-force-awakens/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

That shot of the Falcon is moronic, it just screams THERE'S A CAMERA HERE! and ruins the immersion. Abrams all over again, I hated what he did with Trek but thought he would be better suited to Star Wars. I'm worried about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

That trio of young actors Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac look pretty cool in that sense of the word as in I could imagine kids wanting to be them.

I always said that the whole point of the character of Indiana Jones was the wish fufillment part of it, not the particular actor.

Does anyone think that Andy Serkis is playing himself in this movie as a normal actor (the Sith in the forest)?

All I'll say is take a look at the helmet of the X-Wing pilots, the symbol for the Republic is branded on it ;)

Pretty sure that's the symbol of the Rebels.

The Republic's symbol is pretty much the same as the Empire's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

That shot of the Falcon is moronic, it just screams THERE'S A CAMERA HERE! and ruins the immersion. Abrams all over again, I hated what he did with Trek but thought he would be better suited to Star Wars. I'm worried about this now.

For me the highlight of the trailer, each to their own. :)

Btw who was actor in the fighter jet? Didn't recognise him with the orange shield down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

skellig michael in the background??

star-wars-the-force-awakens-teaser-trailer-x-wing-flying-over-lake.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The villain in the trailer is Adam Driver, he is a collector of ancient Sith artifacts, the sword being one. He has a helmet that looks a little like the Emperors Royal Guards in black, again a Sith artifact. Voiceover sounds like Max Von Sydow and his lines indicate knowledge of the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Gbear wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's the symbol of the Rebels.

The Republic's symbol is pretty much the same as the Empire's.

Really don't wanna go in depth but the rebel insignia was brought from the Old Republic, on establishing of the New Republic the sysmbol was retained as in a Phoenix rising from the ashes or the Republic arising again.

I'm just going off lore mind so Abrams may have a different view.

The villain in the trailer is Adam Driver, he is a collector of ancient Sith artifacts, the sword being one. He has a helmet that looks a little like the Emperors Royal Guards in black, again a Sith artifact. Voiceover sounds like Max Von Sydow and his lines indicate knowledge of the force.

According to this set photo he's an X-Wing pilot:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/well-this-star-wars-7-leaked-set-photo-of-adam-driver-changes-everything-9737132.html

Bxkr0wLCQAA06uG.jpg

...assuming that that actually is him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Looks awesome. Big fan of JJ Abraams, reckon it could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Woah...
    m8jpxjq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I can't believe its going to be cool to love Star Wars again. I would be tempted to watch this teaser and any subsequent trailers every day until Dec 18th next year.

Advertisement