Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Gbear wrote: »

He's the villain, or one of them.

There's a lot of talk regarding this trilogy blurring the lines of good/evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just a mindless CGI orgy to me, I'm no Trekkie either, and I loved First Contact. :D

Ugh, now there's a bad Star Trek movie. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

py2006 wrote: »
    skellig michael in the background??

star-wars-the-force-awakens-teaser-trailer-x-wing-flying-over-lake.jpg

It doesnt look like it ,Skellig Michael is much smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I counted one lens flare.

Adamantium wrote: »
    That trio of young actors Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac look pretty cool in that sense of the word as in I could imagine kids wanting to be them.

I always said that the whole point of the character of Indiana Jones was the wish fufillment part of it, not the particular actor.

Does anyone think that Andy Serkis is playing himself in this movie as a normal actor (the Sith in the forest)?

Ah, didn't realise serkis was in it. Is that maybe his voice in the voice over?

• Advertisement

I counted one lens flare.

Almost two

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lots of people focus on the lens flair.

Fewer acknowledge that Abram's bold, vibrant, energetic, crystal clear visual style and editing (helped, of course, by cinematographer and editor) is a perfect match for this sort of big, silly spectacle film. Take away the lens flair and you have the most visceral, cine-literate and exciting blockbuster stylist of today, who also happens to be a fantastic director of actors and ensembles. His style is built for space opera on a grand scale.

As long as the script is up to scratch - which is really the biggest problem with the Star Trek films, and actually Star Wars too - there's no reason why Abrams shouldn't knock this out of the park. He's a perfect fit. He's most at home in a galaxy far, far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I remember being so so hopeful and excited when I went to see Phantom Menace years ago.

But this trailer looks like how I wanted Phantom Menace to be.

Could be daycent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hate to say it but bar one or two shots I didn't love the teaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I couldn't give a flying rat about lens flair, it's just a director tick. It's moaning for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Impressive visuals but the voice over was muck. Reminded me a bit too much of the LOTR films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Considering this trilogy is about blurred lines I wonder if the intention of Abrams and Rian Johnson is to have a cold war setting, situation and at the opening of this trilogy we have had a seemingly neverending stalemate between the Rebels and the remnants of the Empire for a generation (if this is even planned beyond one movie at a time)
    the Imperial Loyalists and the New Republic (Rebels) end up finally uniting at last to face the new threat? We could have a three-way fight for a while until things settle out into good guys and bad guys

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, definitely not the skelligs in that pic.

Indeed but it may be the planet that contains the Skellig set.

People are also assuming the desert is Tatooine...it's a big universe remember :cool:

Was tattooine not mentioned tho? Personally I hate the idea of revisiting planets when the Galaxy is so vast but obviously it can't be avoided if the storyline follows certain characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I couldn't give a flying rat about lens flair, it's just a director tick. It's moaning for the sake of it.

Spot on. I have a feeling that when the film comes out some of us might be pleading with the mods for a separate 'Force Awakens' lens flare thread...

There have been many reports since before the trailer hit that the desert planet is NOT Tatooine.

Also, I originally assumed the voice over was Von Sydow but everyone seems to think it is Benedict Cumberbatch who was originally rumoured to be in it.

He was asked about it with Harrison Ford when they were on The Graham Norton show and he refused to answer, but apparently someone from the audience asked him again when the show was over and he replied - "I could tell you but I'd have to force choke you afterwards." :D

Some are also saying the voice over is Serkis.

But then...according to German fans the German trailer voiceover is done by the actor who normally dubs for Cumberbatch...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

david75 wrote: »
    see? looks more like flame than light
    B3ib4hqCUAEyqgV.jpg

Looks like the Night Watch got an equipment upgrade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

People are also assuming the desert is Tatooine...it's a big universe remember

Nah - it was a big Universe in Episodes IV and V, but then in Episode VI we were back to visit Tatooine again, visit Dagobah again, oh, look another Death Star.

etc.

I'm sure we'll see Tatooine, Hoth and Dagobah again in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Bacchus wrote: »
    Agreed. Moaning about the saber reeks of someone desperate to have a shot at the movie no matter what.

nope not at all...I'm not holding out too much expectation for it though....I'd really love a dark version of Star Wars..none of this jar jar bollix etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looks like the Night Watch got an equipment upgrade.....

That's a rotten piece of design right there*. At least I'll give George points for the double-lightsaber. Overall my impression is meh. Which is a surprise to me, because I was expecting a great teaser. I really like a lot of Abrams visual style but (again thirty seconds) it felt instantly jarring when I think of the original trilogy. That close up shot of the troopers in particular. Especially when he was talking up the use of using film, keeping the visual language etc. I like more of his movies than I hate, but I still think he can pull it out of the bag.**

*Actually, nearly all of it (Droids, X-wing variants, troopers) felt slightly off to me. It's as if they scared to move too far beyond what's recognisable and iconic.

**Still think he's incapable of judging script quality.

Christ some Star Wars fans take nitpicking to a whole new level...they nearly deserve another turkey with their moaning about trivial details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Christ some Star Wars fans take nitpicking to a whole new level...they nearly deserve another turkey with their moaning about trivial details.

Teasers by their nature encourage nitpicking. You've not much to take apart. When you've 88 seconds of footage you're not analysing the subtext of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I don't get people complaining that part of this might be set on Tattooine, others complaining about tone and I've also seen people bothered that the original characters are returning.

If you want an all original movie then why even bother with Star Wars? Let's just say that they made the new Star Wars already, it was directed by Michael Bay and it was called "Star Wars: Pain and Gain"... go watch that version of "Star Wars" and be happy - it's nothing like the original and absolutely none of it is set on Tattooine (although there might have been sand in one scene).

"Oh I want a Star Wars movie but it should feature none of the original characters, involve no planets that have already been in Star Wars, the tone should be completely different and they should use special effects in a way that none of the other Star Wars movies have."

Eemmmmmm... maybe you don't really like Star Wars?

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/star-wars-force-awakens-teaser-spoiler-breakdown/

Good breakdown of the trailer with extra details. These are the guys who described the trailer accurately a few days ago. Their source is legit. Avoid if you don't want spoilers/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/11/star-wars-force-awakens-teaser-spoiler-breakdown/

Good breakdown of the trailer with extra details. These are the guys who described the trailer accurately a few days ago. Their source is legit. Avoid if you don't want spoilers/

Whoah, started reading that and after one paragraph had to stop... spoilerific. The struggle to block out info begins now :-(

sithinquisitor.jpg

Looks like this concept art of the villain was bang on the money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Super 8 is a great piece of work that Abrams wrote by himself, now he has the addition of Kasdan on this. He didn't write any of his Star Trek films at all.

I loved that opening shot of Boyega popping up in a panic, it's like something Speilberg would have done, really endearing kinda cheesy (which I love) and pulls you right in. I love the mixture of tones and how the cuts to black and music actually built a tension that had me leaning forward until the french organ slams in. John Williams specially composed new music for this trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I really like a lot of Abrams visual style but (again thirty seconds) it felt instantly jarring when I think of the original trilogy. That close up shot of the troopers in particular. Especially when he was talking up the use of using film, keeping the visual language etc.

From that brief clip, I actually got the sense that he may have married his visual style with the original trilogy's more restrained aesthetic pretty well, with the barrenness of the wide angle deserts, and the Xwings gliding over a painterly-lake and mountains backdrop, playing off against the claustrophobic dropship interior, and the vertiginous camera-swoops behind the Falcon. In terms of visual sense, Abrams is easily the most talented director to helm a Star Wars (he's probably the most talented director to helm one full stop.)

• Advertisement

That shot of the falcon is wonderful, really reminds me of the Asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back.

Advertisement