Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think I may just turn the lights down, turn the soundbar up and watch A New Hope tonight.

Surely you mean 'Star Wars'?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Holsten wrote: »
    Who has awakened?

In my view at the moment - Darth Revan played by Adam Driver. Max Von Sydow as an older Sith, Luke and new characters have to team up to kill him.

If it turned out to Revan I would run up and down the cinema aisle with glee.........But alas i highly doubt its him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Don't know why people are knocking JJ's two Star Trek movies, I though they were excellent and far superior to previous efforts.

Most of the prior Star Trek movies are awful.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think the point is that it looks silly and impractical and more dangerous to the user than the intended target.

Yeah because the double sided one was so much safer :D

Honestly, if any lightsaber was real there would be limbs getting lopped off accidentally left, right, and center.

I think the whole point of the Jedi & Sith using them is that their force sensitivity gives them that extra awareness to wield a weapon that would otherwise be extremely dangerous to your average Joe Soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I'm well up for this. I hope this film exites the new generation as much as it did mine.

I remember little of my dad as he was dying when I was very young. What I do remember is watching Star Wars with him over and over while he was at home to pass away. So much so the tattoo I got in remembrance is Star Wars related (see photo)

Now it's gone full circle. My son is 5 weeks old and although he hasn't a scooby what's going on I watched the trailer with him today and explained the significance of it to his dad and grandad!

I really hope we loves the new films as much as my dad and I loved the originals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As teasers go, that was fairly top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

We got more in that teaser trailer than I expected. Looks great as far as I'm concerned. I have faith in Abrams to pull this off, I remember watching his Star Trek Movies thinking that they felt more like Star Wars than Star Trek (especially the start of Into Darkness).

Great how the shot of the Stormtroopers has them all of different heights. They ain't clones. Good way to distance it from the prequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Who's the black fella at the start??

I actually thought it was another take the Mick trailer when he popped into the screen!! The scene had that look.

But great trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I have to say, I was not overly taken with that trailer. Not really sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

faceman wrote: »
    I've watched the teaser a couple of times now and I'm really feeling like the jury is out. I guess the prequels have left a nasty memory.

It seems the teaser has ticked the boxes for the fanboys. After all why would anyone else be getting excited for it.

It certainly has a Star Wars feel to it. But there was no shots in space in the trailer. And I didn't like the new lightsaber. Looked more like flames. But it's probably me being pedantic.

I guess we'll find out in 12 months anyway.

Don't fcuk it up Abrams. You didn't do Star Trek justice. Just saying.

And they call me negative. :D

I think it's harsh to dismiss those who like it as fanboys. It's not a spectacular teaser (tbh I prefer trailers that don't give much away though, jj and nolan are kings of that), but that Falcon shot with the music just brings out the giddy kid in every 20 to 40 something year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Was the voice over Cumberbatch or Serkis... Its killing me...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Serkis apparently. I suppose the voice did sound a bit too young to be von Sydow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Who's the black fella at the start??

I actually thought it was another take the Mick trailer when he popped into the screen!!

that was inspired i thought.....panoramic shot of the sand dunes and then out pops the head of a black man* ....the last thing you expected

*not being racist its just the fact that original trilogy didn't have many black actors in it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Abrams this, Abrams that ... it's not as if he's designing the production and writing the storylines all by himself, people. :pac:

Re that lightsaber with the crossguard ... it's as if they're inventing new ways for you to lose your fingers. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

fryup wrote: »
    that was inspired i thought.....panoramic shot of the sand dunes and then out pops the head of a black man* ....the last thing you expected

*not being racist its just the fact that original trilogy didn't have many black actors in it

That's why I thought it was a pisstake, just wasn't expecw it but it worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't know why people are knocking JJ's two Star Trek movies, I though they were excellent and far superior to previous efforts.

Most of the prior Star Trek movies are awful.

Yeah honestly surprised by people's opinion on them. I thought they were fantastic movies. I watch them a lot.

Although as hard as SW fans are to please Trekkies are worse IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah honestly surprised by people's opinion on them. I thought they were fantastic movies. I watch them a lot.

Although as hard as SW fans are to please Trekkies are worse IMO

I love Star Wars and cannot wait to see these new movies... but I love Star Trek more. The Abrams films were good action spectacle but they weren't good Star Trek movies. While a lot of Star Trek movies aren't great, some are very good... Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact. What makes good Star Trek and what makes good Star Wars are very different... Abram's Trek films were good Star Wars movies... bad Trek though.

Just my opinion as a lover of both universes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The reason I like the hilt is because it suggests that the swords will have heft to them - like their medieval counterparts - as Lucas conveyed in the original trilogy. The fighting will look more raw and feel physical is my guess, rumours abound that the galaxy is in a Mad Max style state even worse than the OT. The sword fighting in the OT, was the equivalent of broadsword fighting two hands on the blade due to the weight of the energy beam, gave the impression that every swing could be the last one - each one a killing blow

ExyLAS8.jpg

The light sabers in the OT looked SO much better than the ones in the prequels and i find it hard to explain why.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The OT ones were based on katanas I would have thought, the crossguard makes that one look more like they're going for a longsword or broadsword look to me.

367090-longsword.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I understand why the new Trek films were made the way they were, they had to reboot for a new younger audience. Abrams definitely achieved that, but at the expense of the established fans. Into Darkness was literally rape of Wrath of Kahn.

• Advertisement

BCaLR6a.jpg

nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

If it turned out to Revan I would run up and down the cinema aisle with glee.........But alas i highly doubt its him

Even if the villain just somehow ended up with Revan's mask in his possession... Oh it would be delightful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Reading loads of rumors ranging from it is Revan, to a new sith is going around looting all of the old Sith tombs, e.g picks up Revans mask and an old light saber.

I'm hyped!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

fryup wrote: »
    not being racist its just the fact that original trilogy didn't have many black actors in it
    [/SIZE]

tumblr_mc7ij8nRXE1qikcuzo1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

on the new saber crossguard. I got the feeling from the crackle and flame look that its rushed, unfinshed or a crewed version of a more the lightsaber we are all used to from the OT.

I grew up on Star Wars, As it happens i will be sitting down this xmas for the first time in nearly 30 years to watch VHS version of the original trilogy as they came of the the cinema before the special editions I still have these sat in a box in my mums. I watch everyone countless times during lunch time from school.

This trailer took me back to tucking into a sandwich in front of a 25in CRT TV in 4:3 format for 45mins before i nipped back for afternoon lessons. The wonder was there, the awe the magic. To top it off my son (12) just watch the trailer and stated,"awe 2015 is going to drag... cannot wait to see that" This from someone who really is not geeky at all and has no interest.

This film will put SW back on the map of a fantasy Sci-Fi matinee serial for all ages to enjoy and dream of the place far far away....

Cannot bloody wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I love Star Wars and cannot wait to see these new movies... but I love Star Trek more. The Abrams films were good action spectacle but they weren't good Star Trek movies. While a lot of Star Trek movies aren't great, some are very good... Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact. What makes good Star Trek and what makes good Star Wars are very different... Abram's Trek films were good Star Wars movies... bad Trek though.

Just my opinion as a lover of both universes.

Watching 'Into Darkness' The thing that left a bitter pill for me as a huge comsumer of Trek was the guy from robocop apearing at the end, like the reveal of the Emperor in the Star Wars films. Such an obvious lick to Lucas in my book. Maybe he did that on purpose, boys will be boys and all that.

I don't know if it's possible to tap-into the seriousness in Roddenberry that in turn, bred lightheartedness into the characters and storys of trek in any sort of homage at all.

It's still surreal that we're seeing actual footage of Episode VII. As a kid that whole timeframe of post ROTJ took on an almost mythical quality, where you could had to use your imagination (unfortunately) to see what happened next, there was a sort of melancholy in that in that we sure we would were never get to see it. And after the prequels I was certain considering the ages of the original actors.

It's so weird to think that Abrams (and countless other filmakers) have probably been fantasising about making this movie since 30 years ago when he was probably filming homemade movies using X wing models and character figurines around his backyard with a Super 8 camera.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

the biggest complaint people seem to have about Abrams(apart from the endless lens flare moaning) is that his Star Trek movies were too much like Star Wars..I didn't agree with that but looking at this trailer, I do now, and i think he's gonna bring it..

It's ultimately an approved, fan made film with a huge budget..as long as the story is there, we're singin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Adamantium wrote: »
    BCaLR6a.jpg

who's is that? who drew that? Is it official poster? look like a young denzel

Advertisement