Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

who's is that? look like a young denzel

John Boyega

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

The X-Wings are going in hot and ready for combat.

A type of trench run maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah because the double sided one was so much safer :D.

I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone who gives a shit about the prequels.

:pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The OT ones were based on katanas I would have thought, the crossguard makes that one look more like they're going for a longsword or broadsword look to me.

367090-longsword.jpg

Yeh, but the crossguard there, that isn't going slice into your hand/arm, in the middle of a fight.

The danger of the lightsabre crossguard is immense.

Sometimes "cool" just ends up looking stupid.

I understand why the new Trek films were made the way they were, they had to reboot for a new younger audience. Abrams definitely achieved that, but at the expense of the established fans. Into Darkness was literally rape of Wrath of Kahn.

The first of Abrams' Star Trek films was ok. JUST ok. It was interesting to see how the younger actors could mimic the classic cast more than anything else.

The second film was just dumb really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, but the crossguard there, that isn't going slice into your hand/arm, in the middle of a fight.

The danger of the lightsabre crossguard is immense.

Sometimes "cool" just ends up looking stupid.

A laser sword that's effectively sharp all over is never going to be safe.

It only needs to be safer than having no crossguard at all.

I must've been watching some other franchise where everyone kept getting their hands chopped off.

I agree, lightsabers are kind of stupid anyway.

But there's no need to make them even more stupid.

:pac:

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Star Wars is definitely a franchise where aesthetics should always overrule logic. It's not hard sci-fi afterall, more fantasy films set in space. Also Star Trek 09 is the best Star Trek film ever made :p

sutherland.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

here's the lego version... :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

predicting toy franchises? all to easy given the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Adamantium wrote: »
    It's still surreal that we're seeing actual footage of Episode VII. As a kid that whole timeframe of post ROTJ took on an almost mythical quality, where you could had to use your imagination (unfortunately) to see what happened next, there was a sort of melancholy in that in that we sure we would were never get to see it. And after the prequels I was certain considering the ages of the original actors.

It's so weird to think that Abrams (and countless other filmakers) have probably been fantasising about making this movie since 30 years ago when he was probably filming homemade movies using X wing models and character figurines around his backyard with a Super 8 camera.

Yeah this is one thing that has me really excited. When the prequels were first announced I was ofcourse giddy with excitement but nothing like I am now - why? Because lets face it, all the prequels could offer was a satisfaction of seeing stuff we already knew about. Loads of lightsabres and clone wars, but at the end of the day we knew the start, middle and end. There were nice surprises along the way, like Darth Maul, Count Dooku and Jango Fett but other than that we knew what was going to happen.

With these we don't, especially as they've decided to go away from what the canon books offered. They can do with they want, and for me I think there'll be a lot of originality despite some of the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The voice over still bugs me. Too much of a nod to LOTR/Hobbit movies for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Holsten wrote: »
    Who has awakened?

In my view at the moment - Darth Revan played by Adam Driver. Max Von Sydow as an older Sith, Luke and new characters have to team up to kill him.

Its cant be Revan, Revan was thousands of years previously. Living a few hundred years is one thing but I dont know of any force user living to be thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    I'm well up for this. I hope this film exites the new generation as much as it did mine.

I remember little of my dad as he was dying when I was very young. What I do remember is watching Star Wars with him over and over while he was at home to pass away. So much so the tattoo I got in remembrance is Star Wars related (see photo)

Now it's gone full circle. My son is 5 weeks old and although he hasn't a scooby what's going on I watched the trailer with him today and explained the significance of it to his dad and grandad!

I really hope we loves the new films as much as my dad and I loved the originals!

I love you. In the most appropriate way:). I hope your little one grows up with the excitement we did:). Take care friend:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

oh god...how bad is the reworked ending of ROTJ...bland ethnic panpipe music..you had John Williams and you chose bland ethnic panpipe music...oh god..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The bird there must be Han Solo's kid but who is your man?7

He couldnt be connected to Lando could he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Its cant be Revan, Revan was thousands of years previously. Living a few hundred years is one thing but I dont know of any force user living to be thousands.

I have a feeling it's the main bad guy in Star Wars Rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Thats a great teaser trailer. I really really like the Sith Lord walking through the dark snowy forest hunting someone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The George Lucas Special Edition of the trailer, Brilliant!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Skerries wrote: »
    The George Lucas Special Edition of the trailer, Brilliant!

I PMSL'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jackie_Green

w8ing *______*

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Anyone see that RTE Morning Edition showed the "international" spoof trailer. Whoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

They actually built a real working version of that soccer ball droid. That ain't CGI.

Also the villain in the forest is supposedly a collector of ancient Sith Artifacts, that lightsaber is old, his cloak belongs to an old Sith Lord, he supposedly has Darth Revans helmet and Vader's. Rumour has it that he is connected to Count Dooku, others say he's linked to Han Solo.

The voiceover is Serkis and he's playing more than one character, one of which is a motion capture character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

It could be Revan i know he was thousands of years before , But they did delete all non movie canon so it could easily be retconned to be around now, Also Revan started out as a Jedi Knight that turned the tide of the mandalorian wars

So maybe it could be similar with Luke turning , after turning the tide of the war

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I doubt it is Revan given that there are heavy rumours that Serkis is playing the main villain with Driver being his Vader-like henchman (who we see in the trailer)

Revan wouldn't have a superior but Serkis playing Plagious with Driver as his apprentice would make more sense.

Someone has said that the main villain (not the guy in the Forest) makes the demon in the Exorcist look like a pussy cat.

Advertisement