Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

yipeeeee wrote: »
    I see why would they allow that??

The reason I remember somebody giving (it might be Abrams) "giving is that the future in Star Trek is so bright/optimistic and that's literally leaking out of the screen".

He often flashes a torch at the camera while directing, MI3 too.

and he says he can't help it and admits he has a problem, lol. The Lost pilot was probably more like what we'll be getting, its the most classical directed he's ever done and Ep VII will be more in line with what he did on that episodes/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Adamantium wrote: »
    The reason I remember somebody giving (it might be Abrams) "giving is that the future in Star Trek is so bright/optimistic and that's literally leaking out of the screen".

He often flashes a torch at the camera while directing, MI3 too.

and he says he can't help it and admits he has a problem, lol. The Lost pilot was probably more like what we'll be getting, its the most classical directed he's ever done and Ep VII will be more in line with what he did on that episodes/s.

Man, they'll come out with any crap. The heavy lense flare is there to lend verisimilitude to CGI heavy scenes; it stems from an anxiety about the phony look of the image, as if adding phony lens flare from phony light sources will somehow enhance the audience's suspension of disbelief. No surprise that it shows up in the teaser when there is a very obviously CGI Falcon onscreen.

Hopefully Abrams' Star Wars will be more like the Lost pilot, but the temptation will be there, as it was in Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Practical field test :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Not sure if you guys have seen the SNL parody of the new trailer...

EDIT: Seems to be a better version here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

A handful of character names revealed!

And in a very cool way.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42973

ec44f007_image.jpeg
    41900557_image.jpeg
    006b5eaa_image.jpeg
    47eb7fed_image.jpeg
    80a8dc5d_image.jpeg

I have to say I like them. Very Star Wars.

Is it 2015 yet???

oooh I can't wait to run to the local newsagents to pick them up in collectable card form with a free chewing gum!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Reminds me of being a kid.

...and that smelly chewing gum...ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone else in doubt about Luke having a son in this film or at least him being the focus?

I was just thinking because Boyega and Issac are expected to play the lead males and neither looks anything like Luke, the latter may be Han's son though.

Not exactly a worry, only an observation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

I have a nasty feeling any children of our heroes might already be one with the Force due to the war with the Empire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anyone else in doubt about Luke having a son in this film or at least him being the focus?

I was just thinking because Boyega and Issac are expected to play the lead males and neither looks anything like Luke, the latter may be Han's son though.

Not exactly a worry, only an observation.

There's a thread on Reddit where a chap who claims to be a Lucas Film employee posted a load of "spoilers". It should be easy enough to find if you Google it. One of the spoilers concerns a potential Skywalker offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Exactly one year to go!

In the meantime, here's our first glimpse of Chewie

http://youtu.be/48dGX8zmK4I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I'm all for this film, and I have no real issues with episode 7 so far.

What I don't agree with is seeing a trailer for this last night in the cinema, 1 year before it's released... Way too early IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm all for this film, and I have no real issues with episode 7 so far.

What I don't agree with is seeing a trailer for this last night in the cinema, 1 year before it's released... Way too early IMO.

It's going to be the most hyped film in history by an enormous margin.

I can't begin to imagine the level of pressure that Abrams in under.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I think my own expectation is the biggest threat this film has..same for all of us..
    It cant be as good as i want it to be, but it can only be better than the prequels..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Gbear wrote: »

The same Reddit thread I referred to earlier with the Lucas Film "employee" claimed Jj is already under immense pressure, and is majorly pissed off with alleged continuous interference by Disney.

The guy claims to have seen the script and maintains that it will still be very good (better than the Star Trek films anyway were his words), but not quite what Abrams wants it to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gbear wrote: »

I reckon Abrams is under no pressure at all. This film will make a killing at the box office no matter how bad it is. It's all about the bottom line.

Afterall we have had 4 transformers movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

faceman wrote: »
    I reckon Abrams is under no pressure at all. This film will make a killing at the box office no matter how bad it is. It's all about the bottom line.

Indeed, it could be 2 hours of Han and Chewie welding the Falcon and ending with Han saying "Punch it Chewie" and it would still make several gazillion buckaroos.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

david75 wrote: »
    I think my own expectation is the biggest threat this film has..same for all of us..
    It cant be as good as i want it to be, but it can only be better than the prequels..

Yep, hence why I'm trying to avoid all the 'Below the Line' stuff. Want to be surprised when I go see it.

I get the impression the orginal cast won't be much more than extended cameos. Except may be Ford as I thnk it was mentioned before that he would have a main role.

However, I wouldn't be certain the originals will return in future sequels beyond short cameos.

I think Han Solo will be killed off in this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think Luke will be central to the story, to be honest. Even if he doesn't have masses of screen time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

py2006 wrote: »
    I think Han Solo will be killed off in this one...

"If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can... waitaminute, that's those other fellas... Chewie! Help!!"

Action figure prototypes from STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

image_262_large.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

faceman wrote: »

This is a logical fallacy. Disney don't want to make a Star Wars movie that makes loads of money; they want to make a Star Wars movie that makes loads of money AND is good enough to fill the next 20 years with spinoffs and sequels. There is definitely pressure on Abrams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Indeed, it could be 2 hours of Han and Chewie welding the Falcon and ending with Han saying "Punch it Chewie" and it would still make several gazillion buckaroos.

That would still be better than episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think Luke will be central to the story, to be honest. Even if he doesn't have masses of screen time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Luke & Han are central to the story. Leia on the other hand has barely been mentioned in the various leaks yet Carrie Fisher spent the longest time on set of all three.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is a logical fallacy. Disney don't want to make a Star Wars movie that makes loads of money; they want to make a Star Wars movie that makes loads of money AND is good enough to fill the next 20 years with spinoffs and sequels. There is definitely pressure on Abrams.

Lucas did that with the prequels despite how bad they are. God knows how much cash he pulled in from the ancillary sales on the back of the prequels.

People are just desperate for a decent Star Wars film. I'm worried that it will be just like the Star Trek reboot. At first everyone was like "Ooh it's not crap" but when the dust settled it was a soulless affair.

I hope I'm wrong though. But unlike Star Trek, Star Wars is a children's movie and my expectations are low.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Don't forget to influence people into buying all the fan merchandise and memorabilia

Advertisement