Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Isn't Aaron Paul a little short for a storm trooper Han Solo?

Otherwise he might be alright but I don't think he has the stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Literally a Universe full of potential new characters to use and they want to recast Han Solo instead? Bloody hell, I hate Hollywood at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Is it not just him playing him in a live reading of TESB script?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

There's no evidence whatsoever that he will be playing Solo. Calm down people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Bacchus wrote: »
    Jumping the gun there a bit. It's not even confirmed and the article even says it's not clear what role he'd be playing.

Perhaps, it's just the vision of Aaron Paul "yo, yo, yo'ing" his way through the universe sends shivers up and down my spine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

So I hear Idris Elba is gonna be playing Han.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i can actually imagine a young han shouting 'Magnets bitches!!!'

once Chewie had of course done something with magnets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Aaron Paul would make a great bounty hunter though... Very much fits the bill of sneaky underworld type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Happy New Year to all you movieheads, can't believe there's going to be a new Star Wars movie this year :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Three actors from The Raid and The Raid 2 have been cast in Star Wars Episode VII.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/the-raid-actors-join-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Martial arts experts, so maybe Sith? Or just stunt actors? I have never seen either of The Raid movies, but I hear they are pretty spectacular in terms of action pieces and choreography.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Falthyron wrote: »
    Three actors from The Raid and The Raid 2 have been cast in Star Wars Episode VII.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/the-raid-actors-join-star-wars-the-force-awakens

Martial arts experts, so maybe Sith? Or just stunt actors? I have never seen either of The Raid movies, but I hear they are pretty spectacular in terms of action pieces and choreography.

They're two of my favourite movies of all time and are my favourite action/fighting movies of all time and they picked the three best fighters from the movies. If you like action movies and haven't seen these two, you're missing out!

I think they'd more than likely only be stuntmen though because I doubt any of them have decent English. I've thought about it a few times but the director and choreographers from The Raid movies should get included in some superhero movie because they would do some incredible fight scenes with the powers and bigger possibilities that a superhero character would give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

They're two of my favourite movies of all time and are my favourite action/fighting movies of all time and they picked the three best fighters from the movies. If you like action movies and haven't seen these two, you're missing out!

I think they'd more than likely only be stuntmen though because I doubt any of them have decent English. I've thought about it a few times but the director and choreographers from The Raid movies should get included in some superhero movie because they would do some incredible fight scenes with the powers and bigger possibilities that a superhero character would give them.

Stick them in an alien mask and have them speak whatever language and you're sorted!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Mickalus wrote: »
    Stick them in an alien mask and have them speak whatever language and you're sorted!!

Actually can't wait to see what they do with them, they could definitely do some crazy lightsaber fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Haven't they finished principle photography?

Is this for post-production CGI acrobatics then?

Luke will have a lightsaber. As does the villain in the trailer. At best either Finn or Rey will also use a lightsaber.

I doubt we're going to see any other sabers in The Force Awakens. I prefer it that way too. Restores a certain mystique to the weapon and the person who wields it.

Remember the Jedi/Sith are all but extinct when The Force Awakens begins. Luke is the only known Jedi and he is MIA.

Your average Star Wars character probably considers the Force/Jedi/Lightsabers as ancient history or nearabouts. Much like how Han Solo openly mocked Luke/Ben in A New Hope and how that dude on the Death Star referred to Vader's sorcerer ways and ancient religion.

We're not going to see hordes of lightsaber wielding jedi/sith like we did in the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

We're not going to see hordes of lightsaber wielding jedi/sith like we did in the prequels.

Amen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wasn’t there a rumour that the stormtroopers would have lightsabers?

Wasn’t there a rumour that the stormtroopers would have lightsabers?

No that was just old concept art from the 70's. They do have new rifles though :)

Remember the Jedi/Sith are all but extinct when The Force Awakens begins.

Where are you remembering that from?

Mickalus wrote: »
    Where are you remembering that from?

What do you mean? End of ROTJ the only one left is Luke. "Pass on what you have learned" were his instructions from Yoda.

From the info leaked about TFA Luke has been in hiding, there is no Jedi academy etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What do you mean? End of ROTJ the only one left is Luke. "Pass on what you have learned" were his instructions from Yoda.

From the info leaked about TFA Luke has been in hiding, there is no Jedi academy etc

Could it be possible though that before going into hiding, Luke trained up a few Jedi to get the ball rolling? Just a handful mind you as from what I gather, in The Force Awakens, the lack of any force users has created a shift in how sensitive people are to the force (hence, the awakening).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How does everyone know Luke is in hiding?

I get that at the end of the movies, there's 1 Jedi and 0 Sith left, but it is set 30 years after that though. A lot can happen in that time. In the no-longer-existent-EU there's a LOT of Jedi, and a couple very powerful Sith after 30 years. I know that's been kicked off to the side but it's a possibility - shows you can get a lot of people trained in 30 years....

I haven't been reading a lot of leaked plot info /spoilers etc, so just curious to see if you know something official, or leaked etc.
    (and use a spoiler tag if you're spoiling)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Falthyron wrote: »

Finally, something to get genuinely excited about. The implications you can infer from these castings moreso than all the others about what kind of a movie we're in for and the standards/imagination/choreography therein make this extremely positive news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Goldstein wrote: »
    Finally, something to get genuinely excited about. The implications you can infer from these castings moreso than all the others about what kind of a movie we're in for and the standards/imagination/choreography therein make this extremely positive news. :)

Depends who's doing the choreography though. Will be fascinating to see Uwais in something like this all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hmmm. I don't see this as good news or bad news at this point.

Why?

Ray Park - Darth Maul.

Great fight scene but lacking in emotional connection with the audience and drama. So not memorable.

But we'll see....

[/scratches beard]

faceman wrote: »
    Hmmm. I don't see this as good news or bad news at this point.

Why?

Ray Park - Darth Maul.

Great fight scene but lacking in emotional connection with the audience and drama. So not memorable.

But we'll see....

[/scratches beard]

That was due to the lack of building his character though. If it's flashy martial arts with people we don't care about it's crap.

That's why movies with Jet Li or Jackie Chan aren't just people beating the **** out of each other but a story about a character going through some sort of arc or experiencing some sort of growth with bits of enjoyable action punctuating it.

It seems to be part of the shallowness of Lucas' thinking that these are kids films so they can just be mindless tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Gbear wrote: »
    That was due to the lack of building his character though. If it's flashy martial arts with people we don't care about it's crap.

That's why movies with Jet Li or Jackie Chan aren't just people beating the **** out of each other but a story about a character going through some sort of arc or experiencing some sort of growth with bits of enjoyable action punctuating it.

It seems to be part of the shallowness of Lucas' thinking that these are kids films so they can just be mindless tripe.

Oh yes, kids are definitely going to understand (and be excited about) talk of tax negotiations in the opening crawl.

Lucas never intended Star Wars to be for children and he knows it.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Oh yes, kids are definitely going to understand (and be excited about) talk of tax negotiations in the opening crawl.

Lucas never intended Star Wars to be for children and he knows it.

Who knows what he was going for with that. It was boring as **** no matter what age you were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I must have been the only one who wasn't too bothered about the political opening gambit for 'The Phantom Menace' ?

After all, 'Star Wars' had a lot of guff about civil war and dissolution of senates and old Republics and blah, blah, blah...

The tax malarkey wasn't Episode 1's problem...nearly everything else was.

Advertisement