Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

For those disappointed, never forget that Lucas brought us Jar Jar Binks :mad:.

I would love somebody like Ridley Scott to take the star wars universe a bit of a darker place. (Prometheus like).

Forget the bright CGI and over the top bloodless battle sequences and concentrate on the characters and story. Most importantly of all that Jar Jar binks bastard race must receive some ethnic cleansing (maybe a good way to start the next movie). Nobody likes Jar Jar binks. He is the mickey mouse of the Star Wars world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

For those disappointed, never forget that Lucas brought us Jar Jar Binks :mad:.

I would love somebody like Ridley Scott to take the star wars universe a bit of a darker place. (Prometheus like).

Forget the bright CGI and over the top bloodless battle sequences and concentrate on the characters and story. Most importantly of all that Jar Jar binks bastard race must receive some ethnic cleansing (maybe a good way to start the next movie). Nobody likes Jar Jar binks. He is the mickey mouse of the Star Wars world.

Ugh, does EVERYTHING have to be "dark" these days? Empire was dark, ROTS had dark moments, unless the hero almost killing his wife, trying to kill his master then winding up arm and legless while being slowly burnt to a crisp by lava isnt dark?

krudler wrote: »
    Ugh, does EVERYTHING have to be "dark" these days? Empire was dark, ROTS had dark moments, unless the hero almost killing his wife, trying to kill his master then winding up arm and legless while being slowly burnt to a crisp by lava isnt dark?

I know what you mean but most good sci fi that I have enjoyed have been dark in atmosphere. When it comes to a trilogy then there has to be balance in darkness, sense of danger and story to it to keep you engaged. I mean in atmosphere rather than design. The part that you described above is one of the best parts of the prequels. There is nothing worse than bland, generic sci fi that is trying and failing to be humorous. The worst part of the prequels where these scenes in my opinion.

I overall enjoyed the prequels when I got over my initial disappointment of it not living up to the unreachable standards that I set for them in my mind. When I was growing up Star Wars was my favorite movie of all time. It was never going to live up to the hype. Maybe the next ones from Disney will be better as people will not expect as much from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Completely agree....everyone is obessed with films being dark as if it means it automatically better, the joke being that ROTS is percieved as being not so bad because it is "dark". Who cares, I just want a good movie!

You cannot rape the franchise any more than Lucas did in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I know what you mean but most good sci fi that I have enjoyed have been dark in atmosphere. When it comes to a trilogy then there has to be balance in darkness, sense of danger and story to it to keep you engaged. I mean in atmosphere rather than design. The part that you described above is one of the best parts of the prequels. There is nothing worse than bland, generic sci fi that is trying and failing to be humorous. The worst part of the prequels where these scenes in my opinion.

I overall enjoyed the prequels when I got over my initial disappointment of it not living up to the unreachable standards that I set for them in my mind. When I was growing up Star Wars was my favorite movie of all time. It was never going to live up to the hype. Maybe the next ones from Disney will be better as people will not expect as much from them.

Star Wars is not Sci-Fi, people always seem to forget this.
    It is a Futuristic Fantasy story that would not ruin the story if all technology is removed, set in the middle-ages (like Lord of the Rings), with the jedi being warrior mages.

Fantasy stories do not need to be "dark" or "realistic"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is a Futuristic Fantasy story that would not ruin the story if all technology is removed, set in the middle-ages (like Lord of the Rings), with the jedi being warrior mages.

It's also primarily for children. It isn't Batman.

Very good point. The story would have worked in a different setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

most good sci fi that I have enjoyed have been dark in atmosphere.

And Prometheus is kinda dark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Very good point. The story would have worked in a different setting.
    As Willow demonstrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

VinLieger wrote: »
    Bad news is disney have said its gonna be based on all new material, i really wanted to see the thrawn trilogy :(

I don't think that's bad news at all. As much as I love the Thrawn books, I know what happens, I know who gets killed and who doesn't. I want to see a brand new story that I don't know anything about...just like the original trilogy was. The prequels suffered a lot from this. We all knew that apart from a few stragglers, Yoda and Obi Wan were the only big Jedi to survive at the end of it all, we knew what would happen to Anakin. I want surprises, shocks, twists.

...And a director who can actually direct!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't think that's bad news at all. As much as I love the Thrawn books, I know what happens, I know who gets killed and who doesn't. I want to see a brand new story that I don't know anything about...just like the original trilogy was. The prequels suffered a lot from this. We all knew that apart from a few stragglers, Yoda and Obi Wan were the only big Jedi to survive at the end of it all, we knew what would happen to Anakin. I want surprises, shocks, twists.

...And a director who can actually direct!

Yeah but all this means my beloved EU is most likely gonna be trodden all over.
    Although if its done by our lord and savior Joss i may let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Get Chris Nolan to do it, hes free now! Won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

bullvine wrote: »
    Get Chris Nolan to do it, hes free now! Won't happen though.

I like Nolan but I'd like to see him step away from big blockbuster action films and do something else, his other films like The Prestige and Memento are great, maybe a thriller like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I actually like the idea of Brad Bird, think he could do a good job. It depends on the story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

bullvine wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of Brad Bird, think he could do a good job. It depends on the story though.

It all depends on the story. They need a good script to start off with anyway.

It all depends on the story. They need a good script to start off with anyway.

Something the prequels very definitely didn't have. Granted the dialogue in the originals is pretty shonky too but it has more charm to it, and it least its being delivered by people who look someway invested in the sets and characters, not bored of being on bluescreens and having nothing to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Nolan would be more than capable of handling Star Wars, not that i'm saying he would be right or wrong choice.

If Disney are going to pump investment into one of the biggest film franchises, you can be sure that they aren't going to hire a 'nobody'.

This is the big leagues, requires the biggest, most experienced names in the business with huge track record.....not some 'no name' who had bit of a hit in the last 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

FlashD wrote: »
    This is the big leagues, requires the biggest, most experienced names in the business with huge track record.

If anything it actually needs the opposite. The last thing it needs is some A-list auteur trying to make it "his" movie. It needs someone who can work with the material, just deliver the job and not let his ego get in the way.

Nolan would be more than capable of handling Star Wars, not that i'm saying he would be right or wrong choice.

If Disney are going to pump investment into one of the biggest film franchises, you can be sure that they aren't going to hire a 'nobody'.

This is the big leagues, requires the biggest, most experienced names in the business with huge track record.....not some 'no name' who had bit of a hit in the last 3 years.

Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand were hardly big name directors either, and they both got the gig of directing the sequels to the biggest movie of all time in its day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The chances of Disney hiring a big name director are slim. The Nolans and Finchers come at a price: costly budgets and complete creative control. No way Disney is handing their newly acquired franchise over to some crazy auteur they can't keep a handle on. The fact that they started talking to writers before directors is an indication of this. Besides, the prequels sucked and still made a fortune. The new films don't have to be great, they just need semi-decent, watchable even, and come in on time and on budget. Disney doesn't want another John Carter.

I think we'll see a young, talented and well-liked director (not a hack) take the helm of the first film. A Duncan Jones/Rian Johnson-type. What Peter Jackson was before LOTR. Someone the fans will trust and Disney will be able to control if problems arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I see Nolan has become the "Depp" of directors. i.e. touted for any and every cool sounding job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nolan doesn't need Star Wars at this stage. Even if offered, he wouldn't accept it. He's done with big franchises for the forseeable future IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

David Fincher?

Could take Disney as a brand in a new direction.

Places they've never seen before.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

David Fincher?

The new president of Lucasfilm, and executive producer of these future Star Wars films, has worked with Fincher, so that's part of the reason people may mention him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

David Fincher?

Star Wars Episode Se7en

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I like Nolan but I'd like to see him step away from big blockbuster action films and do something else, his other films like The Prestige and Memento are great, maybe a thriller like them.

!!film great, ago days of couple a again Memento watched I

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I see Nolan has become the "Depp" of directors. i.e. touted for any and every cool sounding job

Yeah, it's actually getting boring. You'd think nobody else had ever made a decent film. And while I enjoy his films, the recurrent themes and tone which characterize them seem ill-suited to a fun space adventure series like Star Wars.

Advertisement