Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Wedwood wrote: »
    I was 14 when ROTJ came out, I'm now older than Harrison Ford was in 1983, that's a long time to wait for another proper Star Wars movie.

I'm going to savour this year and try to avoid having it ruined by spoilers. Why would you,after waiting 32 years for this movie, want to feel like you've already seen it before it's released this December ?

How were the prequels not proper movies? If anything they are more "proper" than the upcoming movies what with being made by Lucas 'n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

How were the prequels not proper movies? If anything they are more "proper" than the upcoming movies what with being made by Lucas 'n all.

They were sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're not as bad as people make them out to be. I quite like the first two. The third wasn't the best though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Synode wrote: »
    They're not as bad as people make them out to be. I quite like the first two. The third wasn't the best though

Nope, I think they've gotten just the right amount of hate to be honest.

What exactly do people hate about them? I've heard weak plot and overuse of CGI mentioned before. You'd swear the original 3 were complex, deep, visions of beauty. They really weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it really that hard to work out? Have you never seen a RedletterMedia run through of everything wrong with them or any of the million other critiques written about them? They're basically unwatchable a second time whereas the the originals can be watched again and again and always entertain.

I've watched the new ones multiple times and still like them. There's loads wrong with them alright. But my point is, there's also loads wrong with the originals. The new ones get a ridiculous amount of hate in comparison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What exactly do people hate about them? I've heard weak plot and overuse of CGI mentioned before. You'd swear the original 3 were complex, deep, visions of beauty. They really weren't.

The Star Wars prequels are terrible in nearly every conceivable facet of the cinematic craft: bad acting, direction, dialogue, special effects, cinematography, pacing, etc.

The originals have their faults, but equally they have strengths, so many strengths, in comparison with what came after. Frankly there's no comparison between something like Empire Strikes Back, a film that can stand outside of genre film as a legitimately great piece of cinema, and any of the prequels.

This thread's cycle of bringing up the prequels has come around; there really isn't anything new to say about them and tbh, it's incredibly hard to find even the smallest element to use as Devil's advocate for the 3 prequels. Maybe the next time they come up, in a couple of weeks ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    They were sh1te.

If the Ireland match this weekend is sh1te would you say it wasn't proper rugby?

If the Ireland match this weekend is sh1te would you say it wasn't proper rugby?

I don't watch Rugby. But I take your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whatever about the hate the prequels get, there is no way episode 1 can be considered better than 3.

Lot of talk that Abrams wants to bring the release forward and give this a summer release.

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Star Wars prequels are terrible in nearly every conceivable facet of the cinematic craft: bad acting, direction, dialogue, special effects, cinematography, pacing, etc.

All the above is true, but the plots for all 3 films are terrible too.

And they are riddled with utterly ridiculous plot devices on top of that, Like in EP1 Anakin being a virgin birth and midichlorians!

Those were 2 facepalm moments while watching the film for the first time.

If we had to list all the utterly ludicrous things (even compared to some of the stuff in the OT) like this in the prequel trilogy, we would need a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Have you only just discovered the interweb?

There are reams and reams of text devoted to why the prequels are tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Lot of talk that Abrams wants to bring the release forward and give this a summer release.

No way will that happen unfortunately.

No way will that happen unfortunately.

I could see it happening, MI:5 has already been brought forward for a Summer release though I would like it to stay as is, as december 18th is my 30th birthday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Source, and does it give a reason why Abrams might want it moved? Surely a few extra months means a few extra months in post-production, allowing the various artists involved more time to polish everything off. Plus, I imagine Disney don't want their two biggest cinema draws - Episode VII and Avengers 2 - clashing with each other in the always-busy summer schedules...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This rumour makes no sense. Abrams is the reason it was pushed back to December 2015 in the first place. In fact, he wanted it pushed all the way back to summer 2016, which as it turns out was probably a negotiating tactic to get Kasdan onboard. This also put to bed any chance of him directing Episode 8. After all that he’s not going to turn around and say oh lets rush post-production and release it this summer instead.

Besides, the toys won’t be ready by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Whatever about the hate the prequels get, there is no way episode 1 can be considered better than 3.

Think the Duel of the Fates was at least as good as Anakin v Obi Wan, if not better - none of this 'I have the high ground' or 'my new power', just a good row. Palpatine and his weird facial expressions and hammy acting ruined the attemtped arrest and the fight with Yoda for me.

Other than that, you're dead right. Jesus, they're such an abomination, those films. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Jar Jar Binks!

That said, I find 3PO provides as much comic relief as a punch in the face.

• Advertisement

The same has been said about the ewoks. Anyway, I like the new films (though the last is my least favourite) and I couldn't care less about how much literature there is out there explaining why they're crap. Haters gonna hate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Turtyturd wrote: »
    there is no way episode 1 can be considered better than 3.

Do you prefer the winter vomiting bug or explosive diarrhea? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Source, ...

That Darko guy got you guys good.:pac: Props to the man!
    Didn't we talk about this artistic imagination of people's heads already?

The same has been said about the ewoks. Anyway, I like the new films (though the last is my least favourite) and I couldn't care less about how much literature there is out there explaining why they're crap. Haters gonna hate

That's all well and good, but you haven't actually shared the reasons why you like the prequels :) It's all well n' good dismissing the haters that gotta hate, but at least the reasons are well explained - and if I'm honest, pretty understandable, be one a fan of Star Wars or not. Wouldn't like this to seem like a ganging-up on someone or anything, but I'm genuinely curious what it is about the prequels you've found to enjoy, as you're definitely the contrarian in this & I struggle to find any redeeming features in them.

I like them for all the same reasons I like the originals - spaceships, jedi, lightsabres, battles, Yoda etc etc. Bar the last one (where he went way overboard with CGI), I also think they're visually stunning.

Some of the story and execution weren't great at times but that doesn't ruin them for me personally. For me they're another piece in the story I was first introduced to as a kid and grew up with - the greatest fantasy saga of all time. I've watched the prequels multiple multiple times and still love them. Sure I could point out and concentrate on the many flaws, but seriously, name me a film that doesn't have flaws. They just don't ruin it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I like them for all the same reasons I like the originals - spaceships, jedi, lightsabres, battles, Yoda etc etc. Bar the last one (where he went way overboard with CGI), I also think they're visually stunning.

Discovering that galactic badass Darth Vader is, in fact, a moany teenager dressed in black must be a bit depressing though? The prequels are so bad they start to harm your enjoyment of the originals. That's pretty damning in my estimation.

Also, I had a heated debate with a fella after the first prequel came out regarding the visual effects. I argued that all the cgi stuff lumped on to the screen was weightless and carried no impact visually or thematically. I said that special effects like Ray Harryhausen's skeleton battle from the end of Jason and the Argonauts was more impactful and skilfully done than the cgi mess of episode 1 and that the droid battle nonsense would not hold up over time. The other lad argued that episode 1 was the pinnacle of technology and the old stuff was lame.

I would invite you all to go search out the skeleton fight on youtube. It's from 50+ years ago and it's still brilliant. The cgi from the prequels? Not so much.

The prequels proved that more is not more. If you have way more spaceships and way more lightsabers and way more exploding robots it does not make more of a movie. You need interesting characters and a compelling story above all. Let's hope the new one has this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i like the first and third prequels, they are entertaining films nothing on the first trilogy but attack of the clones is one of the worst written films ive ever seen just a bad film

Source, and does it give a reason why Abrams might want it moved? Surely a few extra months means a few extra months in post-production, allowing the various artists involved more time to polish everything off. Plus, I imagine Disney don't want their two biggest cinema draws - Episode VII and Avengers 2 - clashing with each other in the always-busy summer schedules...

It's all over the internet but this is where I read it. It reads like a lot of people quoting someone else and not having much to back it up with but it could also be true though I doubt Disney want their two biggest films of the year released in the same period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I cannot think of a worse contribution to a successful film franchise than the entire prequel trilogy.

They're disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's impossible like a film where you're not invested in the characters. i hated every character in the prequels. Nothing made sense.

The lack of caring for the characters meant that the lightsaber battles were boring.

And don't even get me started on Yoda.

I don't recognise the prequels as canon.

Just saying.

Advertisement