Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd say it's unlikely. This film is 30 years after that so this planet could be anywhere.

edit: in a galaxy far far away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

In the expanded universe wasn't there some sort of junkyard planet for ruined battleships?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Great now I've just seen :3 on their faces

The Mighty Ducks

As someone who would not class themselves as a big SW fan, more a casual viewer, that
    'Chewie, we're home' moment
    put the Horn of Gondor on me, the whole trailer did! I can only imagine what it's like for true fans of the series.

I can't wait for this movie, the 2 trailers I've seen so far show great promise. I love how although it is a movie set in space, shít actually looks real. The prequel trilogy looked too CGI-driven, where this so far looks CGI-supported with great use of practical effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Slydice wrote: »
    I'd say it's unlikely. This film is 30 years after that so this planet could be anywhere.

edit: in a galaxy far far away :)

It's the planet Jaku.Here's another pic with a wreck of an X-Wing in it aswell.

27A4510100000578-3042308-Ancient_The_opening_shot_reveals_a_speeder_on_the_planet_Jaku_wh-a-15_1429208720425.jpg

And of course the 2 lads.

27A5286C00000578-3042308-image-a-130_1429223616749.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

zerks wrote: »
    It's the planet Jaku.Here's another pic with a wreck of an X-Wing in it aswell.

27A4510100000578-3042308-Ancient_The_opening_shot_reveals_a_speeder_on_the_planet_Jaku_wh-a-15_1429208720425.jpg

To be honest that annoys me, why the hell would a nearly intact cruiser just be left to rot in the desert for X number of years. If not the empire someone is going to have eyes for it, even more so for a super star destroyer. Salvage value alone would see it stripped in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

To be honest that annoys me, why the hell would a nearly intact cruiser just be left to rot in the desert for X number of years. If not the empire someone is going to have eyes for it, even more so for a super star destroyer. Salvage value alone would see it stripped in short order.

Maybe it just recently crashed:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, there is a war going on....

Doesn't bother me too much, to be honest, little things like that I can totally ignore for the sake of a better story.

Speculation:
    Presumably, from the "We're home" comment from Han, he lost the Falcon somewhere years ago, and has now only found it on this salvage planet. Possibly in the wreckage of one of the star destroyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

How after a trailer like that and everything new and old that was referenced to, how are you hung up on the salvage value of a crashed ship??...in the grand scheme of things, it's insignificant. As someone said, as long as the overall story stands up, I won't give it a second thought (wouldn't have given it a first thought only for your post) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It might have already have had it's innards completely stripped for salvage. The back of it could be completely wide open. It's a giant space ship, it's not like the Jawas or whoever could just throw a rope around it and tow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Or... crazy theory... maybe the director thought it'd simply make for a gorgeous shot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd agree that it has probably been there a while given the X-Wing beside it has since been replaced by the newer version we've seen skimming over the water, but you can only see about a third of the ship and there's damage around the outer edges too I think.. the rest could be completely crushed. Just because the shell is intact doesn't mean that the insides haven't been gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Why does the circumstances of a crashed Star Destroyer matter?! What does matter is Han and Chewie are home! :D

The next teaser will have to feature Luke and Leia. I also think Han and Chewie going looking for the Falcon would be a great side-story to the main-story in Force Awakens. Maybe that's how everyone meets up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As an avid Expanded Universe reader im still really conflicted about this whole reboot, I mean YAY for a new movie but completely wiping out so many other great stories and characters to make it possible just seems like a heavy price to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There has been an awakening....of nit picking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,618 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has there been an announcement on what films the trailer is going be on before? I haven't watched it yet as I would like to see it on the big screen first - hoping it will be on before Age of Ultron (along with Batman vs Superman - it would make an awesome hattrick in the cinema!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

VinLieger wrote: »
    As an avid Expanded Universe reader im still really conflicted about this whole reboot, I mean YAY for a new movie but completely wiping out so many other great stories and characters to make it possible just seems like a heavy price to me

If the Sith in the movie is in fact wearing Revan's mask, would that it make you feel better? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

VinLieger wrote: »

I honestly couldn't give a ****e. I've read a few EU books and I wouldn't miss too many of the characters from it. The only one that really sticks in my memory in any positive way is Shadow of the Empire and that's not affected by this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nitpicking aside, I found this trailer - albeit a teaser - a little underwhelming. The first seemed perfectly pitched as a teaser with its few fleeting glances and building crescendo. This seemed more like a montage of random scenes without any context. Still not that stoked about the presence of Harrison Ford, we shall see though.

That said, the aforementioned derelict Star Destroyed really highlights the difference a competent & inherently talented director makes to the look of a film. Would Lucas have ever thought of using such a simple yet evocative shot? No chance, that same scene probably would have been a swooping helicopter shot, the screen teeming with CGI creatures and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

CatInABox wrote: »
    Looks good. Fears of this being a total mess are continuing to recede.

"Chewie, we're home"

Right...I'm all set now. Come on Christmas FFS...

2d7x5lc.jpg

That's Mr Stevens. Head of catering.

Cheapskates...

Oh and I wonder what hair die Chewie is using, he hasn't aged a day :D

710Jr4KuygL._SY355_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I for one think ditching the extended universe is the smartest thing they did. Their number one priority is to make a satisfying stand alone film and appropriate follow-up to the original films. Having to take into account the convoluted lore, history and characters of the books etc... would have made that an exponentially more difficult task, and frankly the effort would be lost on 95-99% of the audience anyway. That's not taking into account what works well on the page may not translate to film.

Starting with a comparatively blank canvas (well a blank canvas already pretty full with canonical material :pac:) was easily the best choice when they decided to make episodes VII - IX.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I for one think ditching the extended universe is the smartest thing they did. Their number one priority is to make a satisfying stand alone film and appropriate follow-up to the original films. Having to take into account the convoluted lore, history and characters of the books etc... would have made that an exponentially more difficult task, and frankly the effort would be lost on 95-99% of the audience anyway. That's not taking into account what works well on the page may not translate to film.

Starting with a comparatively blank canvas (well a blank canvas already pretty full with canonical material :pac:) was easily the best choice when they decided to make episodes VII - IX.

Yeah, and from a financial point of view, they've now got TWO universes to exploit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

People are forgetting two things:

1. The old EU was never canon to begin with
    2. Lucasfilm have stated the new films, shows, books, comics and games will draw from old EU material if they desire

I honestly couldn't give a ****e. I've read a few EU books and I wouldn't miss too many of the characters from it. The only one that really sticks in my memory in any positive way is Shadow of the Empire and that's not affected by this.

There were really some fantastic ones apart from Shadow of the Empire, specifically the x-wing books which created some great characters Like Corran Horn and the Wraith Squadron crew, they also gave depth and backstory to some characters from the original movies that had very little time on screen but through the books became fan favorites like Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson and Tycho Celchu, my only hope is the x-wing movie spin off that is being planned will salvage some of these stories and characters

karaokeman wrote: »
    People are forgetting two things:

1. The old EU was never canon to begin with
    2. Lucasfilm have stated the new films, shows, books, comics and games will draw from old EU material if they desire

It actually was canon until Lucas decided he wanted to make more money so he introduced the farcical canon levels like G-cannon and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I was just skimming through the Star Wars Celebration live & at about the 3 hour point (hence the skimming), they're talking through some of the models & merchandise that's going to be available... There's potentially a huge spoiler in there.
    "New Darth Vader Figure with both types of helmet available" - Darth's back from the dead ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Shred

McConaughey reacts to the star wars trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYHdQUyOunA

Advertisement