Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

OU812 wrote: »
    I was just skimming through the Star Wars Celebration live & at about the 3 hour point (hence the skimming), they're talking through some of the models & merchandise that's going to be available... There's potentially a huge spoiler in there.
    "New Darth Vader Figure with both types of helmet available" - Darth's back from the dead ??

More than likely just a Force ghost or vision of some kind, since
    his body was burned at the end of ROTJ and we saw his force ghost then as well albeit without the armor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

VinLieger wrote: »
    More than likely just a Force ghost or vision of some kind, since
    his body was burned at the end of ROTJ and we saw his force ghost then as well albeit without the armor

But a force ghost
    would not be wearing the helmet. Lookbacks maybe or dream sequences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Love the look of that elite stormtrooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I've watched the trailer about a half dozen times now (can't wait to see it on the big screen). Anyway, something was bugging me about the lightsaber handover. That's Anakin's/Luke's from TESB. The one that fell down the shaft with Luke's hand. Also the fact that we see Luke's robotic hand touching R2D2, there's something going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But a force ghost
    would not be wearing the helmet. Lookbacks maybe or dream sequences?

True thats why im guessing a vision similar to how the cave on dagobah works or yeah a dream sequence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

OU812 wrote: »
    I've watched the trailer about a half dozen times now (can't wait to see it on the big screen). Anyway, something was bugging me about the lightsaber handover. That's Anakin's/Luke's from TESB. The one that fell down the shaft with Luke's hand. Also the fact that we see Luke's robotic hand touching R2D2, there's something going on there.

Don't forget that JJ Abrams loves nothing more than putting red herrings in his trailers - look how different everybody thought the last Star Trek was going to be - especially with Cumberbatches character.

Loved the trailer - same spine tingly feeling as watching the action sequences from Empire and Jedi.. Can't wait to see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

novarock wrote: »
    Don't forget that JJ Abrams loves nothing more than putting red herrings in his trailers - look how different everybody thought the last Star Trek was going to be - especially with Cumberbatches character.

Abrams also loves his flashbacks, and flashforwards. Lost even had flash sideways.

My main concern is that Abrams will create mysteries in episode VII which we will still be debating and discussing and wondering about when the trailer for Episode LXXXVI comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

syklops wrote: »
    My main concern is that Abrams will create mysteries in episode VII which we will still be debating and discussing and wondering about when the trailer for Episode LXXXVI comes out.

I doubt it. This isn't his franchise and Disney won't let it get bogged down in convoluted plots & mysteries. I'm sure there will be a surprise or two along the way (in the vein of "I am your father") but there will be nothing like the rabbit-holes that LOST led us down. I doubt Abrams would want to go that direction with Star Wars anyway, it just doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

To be fair to Abrams he had very little to do with the way lost wother the countless mysteries. That was more Lindleof

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'm kind of disappointed they showed Harrison ford and Chewbacca, it'd suck waiting but would be a seriously powerful marketing tool if they held off showing any of the old cast until the very end of the last trailer they release closer to the movies release.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That shot with the crashed Starship in the background really is wonderful, reminds me of a lot of the fantastic fan art I've seen over the years and shows a visual flair and sense of scope that was missing from the prequel trilogy which never felt remotely epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I'm kind of disappointed they showed Harrison ford and Chewbacca, it'd suck waiting but would be a seriously powerful marketing tool if they held off showing any of the old cast until the very end of the last trailer they release closer to the movies release.

I really don't think three seconds of two iconic characters everyone knew was in the movie makes much difference. If anything, it whets the appetite for more.

Besides, they're the only two that's been revealed. I hope they don't overdo it on the actual trailer...which I won't be able to not watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Bacchus wrote: »
    I doubt it. This isn't his franchise and Disney won't let it get bogged down in convoluted plots & mysteries. I'm sure there will be a surprise or two along the way (in the vein of "I am your father") but there will be nothing like the rabbit-holes that LOST led us down. I doubt Abrams would want to go that direction with Star Wars anyway, it just doesn't fit.

What about the countless plot holes in the Star Treks?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

syklops wrote: »
    What about the countless plot holes in the Star Treks?

Now now, plot holes and continuity errors were a Star Trek staple before Abrams went near the franchise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

And this is the film by Abrams, imagine what it's going to be like with Rian Johnson :eek: on writing Episode VIII and IX (possibly directing IX too). Abrams is still producing and got Johnson for the follow ups.

Though the rumour is that Episode IX will be directed by Abrams, which is incredible as Disney a while back wanted to drop like him its hot for having a backbone (I don't think they expected it) and now having seen early edited footage of VII are well like "Well fcuk...you were right, let the filmaker make the film boys".

Disney couldn't do wait to get him, THEN get rid of him because he wanted delayed to Xmas 2015 and NOW want him more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cork guitar player

I watched the trailer before work this morning and by the time Han and Chewie appeared, I welled up and shed tears.

This 40 year old man boy is proud to say that. I felt like that 10 year old again, all the feelings Star Wars gave me in the 80's suddenly appeared once more,undiminished, and overwhelmed me.

I'm so happy this looks like it has some of the old magic about it. Its everything the prequels were not by the looks of it.

The force seems to be strong with JJ.

If only this would be the case with Blade Runner 2 and the new Alien (return of Hicks!) I live in hope.

I cant get over how happy a simple trailer has made me feel....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I had the same reaction, even after multiple viewings. Before the "Chewie..." part I was like "wow" and that part came ... Awesome.

Growing up Han Solo was my hero. I was too young to see Star Wars or Empire in the cinema, but I saw them on TV enough times. I remember when I was 7 I got a cowboy costume for a present and it had a black waist coat; I threw away the rest of the present and just wore the waistcoat over a white shirt, and with couple of belts fashioned a holster for my gun (important to have the bit that ties around your leg). I got to see Jedi in the cinema, which was great, though I was worried that Han had changed cos he looked different when he first came out of the carbon freeze. :-)

I just hope the "new" Han Solo is fast talking and quick witted, unlike the way Ford portrayed Indiana Jones in the recent movie, sort of slower speech and lower voice. There might even be some good Leia / Han bickering during a battle scene, even after all these years.

Off topic, I think Phantom Menace gets a bad wrap. Why? Well, it was the last one shot on film - the other two were shot on digital, which equaled "maximum CGI" in Lucas's world, so at least TFM looked and felt like a Star Wars movie. Liam Neeson was excellent, and the pod race (whatever you think about the goings on before and after it) was a thrill ride. The dual with Darth Maul was awesome, and while "Ani" and Jar Jar detracted from it, I'd still rather watch that than Hayden whathisface mumble his stoney way through dialogue such as "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth".

Jaysis. They just got worse and worse, more and more CGI piled on top. At least TPM didn't have that problem!

Anyway it looks like JJ has got the Star Wars mojo back, and I cannot wait till Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Watching Han Solo and Chewbacca at the end was a real 'yes the prequels were sh*t, but now we are back to set things right' moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few thoughts:

- Not a bad thing per se, but the visual style is pure Abrams: a cross between Spielberg’s storytelling genius and Michael Bay’s energetic ineptitude. Not seeing any of Lucas’s simple Ford and Kurosawa-inspired compositions, which were probably the most distinctive and under-appreciated thing about the prequels.

- While Boyega will probably more closely resemble Luke in terms of character, I’m assuming Daisy Ridley will be the central protagonist of this trilogy. She features quite strongly and has at least two hero shots in the teaser. She’s also almost certainly the one with the Skywalker family connection, though I’m guessing there’s probably another still to be revealed.

- X-wings, Stormtroopers, Star destroyers, the Millennium Falcon - the marketing so far is really trying to hammer home the idea that this - unlike the prequels - is the Star Wars you know and love. Which is great, but I hope there’s some new ideas in there as well. Because I’ll say this for the prequels: Lucas wasn’t afraid to be different from the original films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'd be cautious about the nostalgia feeling. Remember we're not children anymore and no movie can ever captivate us in the way any of our favourite films do when we're children.

Anyone else wonder if the trailer has any particular appeal to kids of today? It didn't really show anything that appeared to target children directly.

No more on screen Star Wars council meetings about taxation and trade agreements please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The only way that trailer cant get any better, is to see Luke chop off Jar Jar Binks head with a light saber, while driving the land speeder (blind folded)!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

faceman wrote: »
    I'd be cautious about the nostalgia feeling. Remember we're not children anymore and no movie can ever captivate us in the way any of our favourite films do when we're children.

Anyone else wonder if the trailer has any particular appeal to kids of today? It didn't really show anything that appeared to target children directly.

No more on screen Star Wars council meetings about taxation and trade agreements please.

It was the first thing my 5 year old son talked to me about this morning. The crashed Star Destroyer was 'totally awesome', R2 and Chewbacca were 'cool' and he wants a new lightsaber. It took 10 minutes for me to convince him that the 'old guy' with Chewbacca was Han though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where in the order of star wars films does this one place i.e is it supposed to be after the Empire strikes back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

billyhead wrote: »
    Where in the order of star wars films does this one place i.e is it supposed to be after the Empire strikes back?

After Return Of The Jedi by a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Set ~30 years after RotJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I had the same reaction, even after multiple viewings. Before the "Chewie..." part I was like "wow" and that part came ... Awesome.

Growing up Han Solo was my hero. I was too young to see Star Wars or Empire in the cinema, but I saw them on TV enough times. I remember when I was 7 I got a cowboy costume for a present and it had a black waist coat; I threw away the rest of the present and just wore the waistcoat over a white shirt, and with couple of belts fashioned a holster for my gun (important to have the bit that ties around your leg). I got to see Jedi in the cinema, which was great, though I was worried that Han had changed cos he looked different when he first came out of the carbon freeze. :-)

I just hope the "new" Han Solo is fast talking and quick witted, unlike the way Ford portrayed Indiana Jones in the recent movie, sort of slower speech and lower voice. There might even be some good Leia / Han bickering during a battle scene, even after all these years.

Off topic, I think Phantom Menace gets a bad wrap. Why? Well, it was the last one shot on film - the other two were shot on digital, which equaled "maximum CGI" in Lucas's world, so at least TFM looked and felt like a Star Wars movie. Liam Neeson was excellent, and the pod race (whatever you think about the goings on before and after it) was a thrill ride. The dual with Darth Maul was awesome, and while "Ani" and Jar Jar detracted from it, I'd still rather watch that than Hayden whathisface mumble his stoney way through dialogue such as "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth".

Jaysis. They just got worse and worse, more and more CGI piled on top. At least TPM didn't have that problem!

Anyway it looks like JJ has got the Star Wars mojo back, and I cannot wait till Christmas.

Until literally a month ago, I'd had been an ardent supporter of drawing as much attention to the positive parts of the prequels. But no longer.

I rewatched the RedLetterMedia Reviews again and just couldn't stop laughing and ultimately, it clicked. They're real fcuking bad. Nothing make sense internally, its appalling. I've even heard people defending Lucas as a great ideas man, but I'm not sure either, everyone has great ideas, that's not uncommon in the creative industry, I think he had inherently bad ideas for the prequels that were botched from the beginning. It was like he tried to do what the reimagined BSG (with regards to fall of democracy and characterisation), but appallingly bad. A series that began as a rip off Star Wars in the 70's had a reimaging in the 00's that was everything I wanted the prequels to be.

Two of my favourite shots in the trailer were that close of up Daisy Ridley and that Boyega arm grab, they look more real and improvised that every action taking in the prequels. It wasn't just the chreography in them that was staged, it was the conversations too

I wouldn't mind that opening shot of the trailer to the opening shot of the trilogy, says it all about where that universe is. Reminded me of this shot from 1:20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

faceman wrote: »

I dont know what peoples problem is with this? I like that ****, really fleshes out the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I dont know what peoples problem is with this? I like that ****, really fleshes out the world.

Because it's like watching the f**king Oireachtas Report. I don't care how the Revenue Commisioners go about their boring jobs, I certainly don't want to see a fictional alien equivalent of the same **** in my spare time during an escapist fantasy movie. A certain amount of depth to give a sense of there being a real administration is grand, but I don't want to get a degree in galactic economics from the Star Wars equivalent of Open University either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

J Mysterio wrote: »

It was probably a bit overkill but in fairness while people bring it up a lot if it was the only thing wrong with TPM it would have been a great movie!

Advertisement