Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tumblr_mcti7jYVXe1rk5dywo1_r1_1280.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Just fan the old rumour flames a bit, some are wondering if mysterious Disney project "1952" - written by Damon Lindelof and to be directed by Brad Bird - might be a codename for Episode VII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Kinski wrote: »
    Just fan the old rumour flames a bit, some are wondering if mysterious Disney project "1952" - written by Damon Lindelof and to be directed by Brad Bird - might be a codename for Episode VII.

Brad Bird directing it I would be ok about. But I wouldn't be sure about anything Lindelof writes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It appears my "whoever it is they can't be any worse than Lucas" comment may have been premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Goldstein wrote: »
    It appears my "whoever it is they can't be any worse than Lucas" comment may have been premature.

I concur. When someone posted earlier that they should get Ridley Scott to direct and make the new film more Prometheus-like, I was like WTeverlovingF!!

Get a hack to screenwrite and another old fart who pissed all over his creation upon revisiting it to replace an old fart who pissed all over his creation upon revisiting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Forget Nolan forget Ridley , the two directors I could most see directing these films are Rise of the planet of the Apes Rupert Wyatt or First Classes Matthew Vaughn , the formers work with Mo Cap and Serkis would be invaluable in bringing that universe to life in a meaningful way something Lucas singularly failed to do with jar jar et al while the latters work on the x-men franchise with first class and in the fantasy realm with Stardust would stand him in good stead for the job. Both are callow enough to be willing to work within the paradigm of what George created(with the OT not the PT let me stress) but have proven themselves unwilling to compromise quality when it comes to release schedules as evidenced by their dropping out or sequels to Rise and first class respectively. Sign one of em up I say .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Forget Nolan forget Ridley , the two directors I could most see directing these films are Rise of the planet of the Apes Rupert Wyatt or First Classes Matthew Vaughn , the formers work with Mo Cap and Serkis would be invaluable in bringing that universe to life in a meaningful way something Lucas singularly failed to do with jar jar et al while the latters work on the x-men franchise with first class and in the fantasy realm with Stardust would stand him in good stead for the job. Both are callow enough to be willing to work within the paradigm of what George created(with the OT not the PT let me stress) but have proven themselves unwilling to compromise quality when it comes to release schedules as evidenced by their dropping out or sequels to Rise and first class respectively. Sign one of em up I say .

Brilliant choices especially Wyatt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

bullvine wrote: »
    Brilliant choices especially Wyatt!

Yes, Rupert Wyatt would be a great choice. And if he could get James Franco and Andy Serkis in on it too, that could make for a really good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think we'll see a young, talented and well-liked director (not a hack) take the helm of the first film.

Michael Bay?

;)

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Michael Bay?

;)

Oh, not even in jest! :p

From looking at Andy Serkis' wiki page it looks like he'll have his hands full with the Hobbit and Planet of the Apes franchises. Oh well.

• Advertisement

Another decent prospect for the directors chair would be Andrew Stanton whose already proven with his adaption of Edgar Rice Borroughs John Carter(A film I love) that he can handle the swashbuckling action serial thing. The marketing ooomph of Disney along with the name recognition of Star wars would ensure the debacle that was the John Carter marketing campaign would not be repeated .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'm not worried about Disney ruining the Star Wars. It had it's time and was ruined in recent years so it's almost a matter of irrelevance if it gets any worse, amn't too bothered seeing Star Wars 7 anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they turn it into something as bland and derivative as possible to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it's all about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'm not worried about Disney ruining the Star Wars. It had it's time and was ruined in recent years

It was ruined a few minutes into Revenge Return of the Jedi, when Luke went ape on Jabba's yacht with a light-sabre...

and didn't even cut anyone! They just fell down!

We knew from Star Wars and Empire what should have happened: there should have been arms, legs, hands and heads flying all over the screen, but no, the bad guys, given a full-on strike with a light-sabre, just fell down. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It was ruined a few minutes into Revenge Return of the Jedi, when Luke went ape on Jabba's yacht with a light-sabre...

and didn't even cut anyone! They just fell down!

We knew from Star Wars and Empire what should have happened: there should have been arms, legs, hands and heads flying all over the screen, but no, the bad guys, given a full-on strike with a light-sabre, just fell down. Bah.

maybe lightsabers have different modes, like phasers in Star Trek, such as "maim" "sever" "lightly twat" "surgery mode" "lockpick" and "DIY". He didn't want to kill Jabba's guards, just make them sorry for their poor choosing of allegiance.

krudler wrote: »
    maybe lightsabers have different modes, like phasers in Star Trek, such as "maim" "sever" "lightly twat" "surgery mode" "lockpick" and "DIY". He didn't want to kill Jabba's guards, just make them sorry for their poor choosing of allegiance.

Not forgetting 'inconsistent sequel mode', much favoured by jedi who did their training over a three week period in a bog. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

disney-star-wars-films-by-how-to-be-a-dad-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

disney-star-wars-films-by-how-to-be-a-dad-02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

http://collider.com/star-wars-episod...vaughn/208715/
    I’m hearing that Matthew Vaughn, the director of Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, and X-Men: First Class, is in talks with Lucasfilm to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. My sources tell me this is the main reason he dropped out of the X-Men sequel (which Bryan Singer is now directing).

Hmmmm, haven't seen Stardust or Layer Cake, but I have seen the other two and enjoyed them. Not sure if he'd be right for this franchise, but he would definitely be a pair of capable safe hands, and one who would have the confidence to helm such a major project. With the likes of Blomkamp and Duncan Jones, from the things they have said previously, I wouldn't be sure if they'd have such confidence in themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hmmmm, haven't seen Stardust or Layer Cake, but I have seen the other two and enjoyed them. Not sure if he'd be right for this franchise, but he would definitely be a pair of capable safe hands, and one who would have the confidence to helm such a major project. With the likes of Blomkamp and Duncan Jones, from the things they have said previously, I wouldn't be sure if they'd have such confidence in themselves.

I wasn't really that impressed with Kick Ass (at least not the way everyone seemed to be at the time), but I thought Stardust was probably the best fantasy movie I've seen in years. It had the right blend of humour and adventure and would be a perfect calling card for what I'd want in a potential SW directior.

He's done four films so far (i've seen all four) and I think they've all been fairly excellent from a directorial POV at least.

Not to mention he's the right age for the movie. In my own encounters I've found the most die hard SW fans are invariably guys who are now in their early forties. They are the people who were little kids when the first movie came out and seem to have been impacted greater than any other generation since. They know what a great SW movie is (or should be) better than anyone (and by that I mean they know even better than GL).

TBH I'd be delighted if Vaughn got the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

He wouldn't be my first pick, but Vaughn is a solid enough choice. He's quite a versatile director. And he's shown he can work with a tight budget and schedule while still delivering the goods, making him studio-friendly, which would be very appealing to Disney after the disaster that was John Carter. However, I'm not sure he has enough geek cred to satisfy the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Would be a very good choice in my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If true, I think it's a smart choice - he's young, up & coming director with a few decent vehicles under his belt and proven track record with mid-scale blockbuster cinema. There was certainly no way Disney would have gone with another rookie ala Stanton, and I can't imagine they'd be keen to splash the cash on a marquee director.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

He wouldn't be my first pick, but Vaughn is a solid enough choice. He's quite a versatile director. And he's shown he can work with a tight budget and schedule while still delivering the goods, making him studio-friendly, which would be very appealing to Disney after the disaster that was John Carter. However, I'm not sure he has enough geek cred to satisfy the fans.

Unless I'm mixed up, I thought Kick-Ass was a geek cred-accruing cult hit?:confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Unless I'm mixed up, I thought Kick-Ass was a geek cred-accruing cult hit?:confused:

Not to mention making a good X-Men film for the first time in about ten years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kick-Ass is something of a love-hate film, and X-Men First Class wasn't that good. I just think the likes of Bird, Jones, Johnson would probably prove more popular with the fans, not to say they'd necessarily make a better film though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

True, but this film is going to live or die on its script & cast; Lucas himself couldn't derail the original trilogy, so who directs is largely irrelevant anyway. Plus in many respects, the director is an afterthought given how much is going to be SFX work. Maybe we should be looking to who the 2nd Unit Director or SFX Lead will be instead of director? :)

Haha if true I called it four days ago ^

just call me punxsutawny phil ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Why do people think that "Dark" is a good thing?

The prequels featured a decapitation and they were absolute 5hite.

It comes from the belief that what made Empire great was that it was "dark" and that it was Kersh not Lucas who made it that way. Both of which are nonsense. Lucas never had a problem with "dark", if anything Kershner made it less dark. What made Empire great (among other things) was that it was funny, emotional, fun and dark. The prequels didn't lack darkness, but they did lack the other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

but they did lack the other things.

A decent script would've been a start...

Advertisement