Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    And these boys...

345546.jpg

:eek:

The design is just so, so good.

How sweet are those inverted tie fighters?

That black armour for the stormtrooper? :cool:

I love the real JJ shots, like the wide far pan to zoom on the falcon. Loved it in Star Trek.

I wonder who the guy on the balcony is. It looks like he has a droid alongside him, perhaps even an R2 unit. It couldn't be Luke Skywalker could it? It's not easy to tell but I think the guy has dark hair so probably not Luke but the apparent droid had me wondering!

Edit - In fact are those Imperial Guards on each side of the balcony?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

- X-wings, Stormtroopers, Star destroyers, the Millennium Falcon - the marketing so far is really trying to hammer home the idea that this - unlike the prequels - is the Star Wars you know and love. Which is great, but I hope there’s some new ideas in there as well. Because I’ll say this for the prequels: Lucas wasn’t afraid to be different from the original films.

In the "legends" banner, they've basically tried everything, so no idea can be truly "original" but in terms of the canon, the fancy lightsaber, the masked Kylo Ren, a possibly splintered Empire (he looks like he's leading a faction of the Empire but I can't see him as a leading politician - I'm guessing a militaristic splinter group of which Kylo Ren is the overlord in a might-makes-right situation), a brand new cast of heroes, and all that should be enough to move things along.

Even after 30 years, you can't expect anything other than iterative design on things like the Storm troopers, TIE fighters or what have you. They can't change too much or it'll feel like we've missed a huge chunk of history.

All the different styles in the prequels were something I actually loved but the transition from the pointy Jedi fighters to the very TIE-fightery ETA-2 flown in ROTS were still an iterative sort of change and so too were the original clone desings to the OT Stormtroopers.

It still needs to be part of the same story and after about 30 years since ROTJ I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to the icons of the original trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Gbear wrote: »
    In the "legends" banner, they've basically tried everything, so no idea can be truly "original" but in terms of the canon, the fancy lightsaber, the masked Kylo Ren, a possibly splintered Empire (he looks like he's leading a faction of the Empire but I can't see him as a leading politician - I'm guessing a militaristic splinter group of which Kylo Ren is the overlord in a might-makes-right situation), a brand new cast of heroes, and all that should be enough to move things along.

Even after 30 years, you can't expect anything other than iterative design on things like the Storm troopers, TIE fighters or what have you. They can't change too much or it'll feel like we've missed a huge chunk of history.

All the different styles in the prequels were something I actually loved but the transition from the pointy Jedi fighters to the very TIE-fightery ETA-2 flown in ROTS were still an iterative sort of change and so too were the original clone desings to the OT Stormtroopers.

It still needs to be part of the same story and after about 30 years since ROTJ I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to the icons of the original trilogy.

Exactly.
    This is fantasy, how often does tech advance in fantasy? Not too often, generally its a dark age or society reaches a tech level that is "good enough" and doesn't move for centuries or millenia. We see this in our own world history.

When you can cross a galaxy in days and that's old hat, does anyone care about a new paint job to a ship or super sexy designs for soldiers; what could it add it? Most people wore brown for millenia in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Because it's like watching the f**king Oireachtas Report. I don't care how the Revenue Commisioners go about their boring jobs, I certainly don't want to see a fictional alien equivalent of the same **** in my spare time during an escapist fantasy movie. A certain amount of depth to give a sense of there being a real administration is grand, but I don't want to get a degree in galactic economics from the Star Wars equivalent of Open University either.

I'm surprised Lucas didn't end up having a scene where Kenobi is using a flip chart or Yoda giving a Powerpoint Presentation on that whole trade federation crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'm surprised Lucas didn't end up having a scene where Kenobi is using a flip chart or Yoda giving a Powerpoint Presentation on that whole trade federation crap.

To be fair, at least then we might have understood it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,186 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

bilston wrote: »
    I wonder who the guy on the balcony is. It looks like he has a droid alongside him, perhaps even an R2 unit. It couldn't be Luke Skywalker could it? It's not easy to tell but I think the guy has dark hair so probably not Luke but the apparent droid had me wondering!

Yeh, I was wondering that myself. It looks like some sort of ceremony, perhaps an unveiling of a revitalised Empire, taking place on some distant planet.

In essence the Empire have now become the rebels, trying to wrestle back power.

I think it would be cool to also dispense with the "evil" in the Empire too and have them be a little greyer in ambition. For me, the prequels were far too childish in their politics and I frankly roll my eyes at every utterance of "dark side" when it's mentioned by a Sith character. Why would they all themselves the "dark" side? It's understandable that the Jedi would call them such, but Palpatine and Vader gabbing on and on about the dark side grates on my nerves.

The originals (and I mean the non abused versions) largely left the Empire's political motivation rather vague and wisely focused on the partisan war with the rebellious factions. focused and one got the impression that there were many systems that were quite happy with Imperial control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Shush! Don't be giving him ideas for new scenes in the inevitable special edition!

Anakin and the Jedi were portrayed as a bunch of retards, not as unlucky participants trapped and trying to outwit a devilish plan by the to-be Emperor.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, I was wondering that myself. It looks like some sort of ceremony, perhaps an unveiling of a revitalised Empire, taking place on some distant planet.

In essence the Empire have now become the rebels, trying to wrestle back power.

I think it would be cool to also dispense with the "evil" in the Empire too and have them be a little greyer in ambition. For me, the prequels were far too childish in their politics and I frankly roll my eyes at every utterance of "dark side" when it's mentioned by a Sith character. Why would they all themselves the "dark" side? It's understandable that the Jedi would call them such, but Palpatine and Vader gabbing on and on about the dark side grates on my nerves.

The originals (and I mean the non abused versions) largely left the Empire's political motivation rather vague and wisely focused on the partisan war with the rebellious factions. focused and one got the impression that there were many systems that were quite happy with Imperial control.

I agree with all of this.

I liked that in ROTJ the dark side and the light side are vague and that Luke at the end was neither good nor but bad, but a grey Jedi him being the final result of a long struggle.

I'd also like certain powers to not be a signifier of "look he's the baddy". Lightning should not be reserved for the villians and red sabers don't mean irredemably evil and people wearing long robes because well that what they do.

The originals didn't even have the word Sith (which I don't like either), and Vader was just a jumped henchmen who's popularity in the following decades meant he morphed into/ became the cause of everything in the prequels, Lucas fell beholden to him and not "this is a human character I'm writing for, not a pop cultural icon"

Before the prequels I imagined that the Republic still existed in the OT alongside the Empire, which was an ever increasing size maybe 80%. And the Empire brought tech e.m Millenium Falcon and materialism that The Republic never had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do you think they ripped off this XKCD comic from 2008 for BB-8 or was it a coincidence?

new_pet.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bilston wrote: »

qft

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It was the first thing my 5 year old son talked to me about this morning. The crashed Star Destroyer was 'totally awesome', R2 and Chewbacca were 'cool' and he wants a new lightsaber. It took 10 minutes for me to convince him that the 'old guy' with Chewbacca was Han though.

Sure what do you expect, you're so steeped in sarcasm and irony, it's impossible to tell if you're telling it straight or not. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

leaked cast

Han Solo
    (Queen) Leia
    Luke Skywalker
    Rey (Kira)
    Finn
    Kylo Ren
    Poe Dameron
    Rose
    Chewbacca
    C-3PO (See-Threepio)
    The General (Gleeson)
    Uber (Serkis)
    R2-D2 (Artoo-Detoo)
    BB-8
    Wounded Stormtrooper (Village)
    The Vicar
    Junk Dealer
    Junk Minion 1
    Snowtrooper #12 (Falcon)
    Salvage Station Bully (Desert Set)
    Scared Villager
    Captain Phasma
    Star Destroyer Colonel
    Rose’s Pub Barman (C049)
    Evil Castle Teach #1
    Brance (Rebel)
    Rebel 1 Major Ematt
    Rebel 2 Captain Trilla
    Rebel Admiral
    Evil Castle Officer #1
    Evil Castle Officer #2
    Gorwyn (Rebel Pilot)
    Rebel Pilot #1 (Duncan)
    Evil Castle Tech (Weapons)
    Stormtrooper #1 (Village)
    Star Destroyer Bridge Teach #2
    Stormtrooper 2 (Village)
    Gang member Mod #1
    Gang member Rocker #1
    “Bus Stop” Mother
    “Bus Stop” Son
    Lieutenant Mitaka
    Ruddo
    Emissary
    Naka (Flashback)
    Local Trader (Flashback)
    Young Luke Skywalker (Flashback)
    Stormtrooper #10
    Rebel Pilot
    Rebel Pilot N.N.
    Rebel Pilot #3
    Statura
    Rebel Tech #1
    Rebel Tech #2
    Captain Trilla
    Stormtrooper #11
    Stormtrooper #3 (Kylo Ren’s Request)
    Stormtrooper #5 (Woods)
    Snowtrooper #7 (Snow Steal)
    Stormtrooper #8 (Door to Ramparts)
    Evil Castle Tech (Scared)
    Star Destroyer Bridge Tech #1
    Star Destroyer Technician
    Evil Castle Tech #4
    Evil Castle Tech #5
    Salvage Station Bully 2
    Gang Member Rocker #2
    Rose’s Pub Patron #1
    Rose’s Pub Patron #2
    Rose’s Pub Patron #3
    Fat Cat (Flashback)
    Gangsters Mill
    Rebel Tech #3
    Dr. Kalonia
    Rebel Tech. #4
    Doubles:

Chewbacca PhotoDouble
    Han Solo Stunt Double
    Kira/Rey Stunt Double
    Finn Stunt Double
    Kylo Ren Stunt Double
    Poe Dameron Stunt Double
    Chewbacca Stunt Double
    Vicar Stunt Double
    Star Destroyer Colonel Stunt Double

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

New ANA Boeing 787 due in service later this year:

_82376911_afp_plane1.jpg

More pics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Skerries wrote: »
    jpnMDuV.jpg

The meme to end all memes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

billyhead wrote: »
    Where in the order of star wars films does this one place i.e is it supposed to be after the Empire strikes back?
    See, they should have kept "Episode VII" as part of the official title.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I'm so tempted to do this,not sure how the missus would react.:)

smile_4.jpg

This is the section of the panel with the main cast, Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy and droids+model wakers. No Harrison, at home recovering. At 17.50, Abrams jabs Boyega for leaking something about his character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

The new trailer looks amazing, I'm kinda reluctant to get my hopes up ... BUT IT LOOKS F*CKING AMAZING!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

I hate people who film themselves reacting to a video. Why?! So you can prove how into Star Wars you are!? Seriously, just f*ck off. Nobody cares about your reaction. You're a nobody.

/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I hate people who film themselves reacting to a video. Why?! So you can prove how into Star Wars you are!? Seriously, just f*ck off. Nobody cares about your reaction. You're a nobody.

/rant.

I detest it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

/rant.

Not to mention that most people wouldn't react in such an animated fashion but for they know they're being filmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, reaction videos serve an important any role. They remind us that there are people out there who have intense emotional overreactions to a ****ing marketing campaign, and that we should never ever become them.

The infantilisation of cultural consumption continues.

And we're just nobodies on a board discussing an upcoming film with words. See how arbitrary it is, were we can draw the line?

Its lovely to see people being reduced to children at the sight of a series that changed cinema and impacted childhoods being revived in the right way.

I can't think of any other long running series in cinema that has permeated life the world over with its timeless themes and gives people this sort of reaction, discussion, good and bad.
    I love the inter generational aspect from those reaction videos, much like the films themselves.

I just find it hard to be cynical about stuff like this all time (and I'm as cynicial as one can be about marketing), why not let people get caught up in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thy never looked like scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Adamantium wrote: »
    I just find it hard to be cynical about stuff like this all time (and I'm as cynicial as one can be about marketing), why not let people get caught up in something.

Because it isn't genuine. They are doing it for social status/image/money. In fact, the more ridiculous their reaction the more hits they will receive. Symptomatic of today's culture whereby if other people don't see or hear you doing something, it may as well never have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

CatInABox wrote: »
    Looks good. Fears of this being a total mess are continuing to recede.

Don't worry on that score, JJ Abrams is in control. He's a man that could manage to mess up Wrath of Khan even after having been given the completed vers....

Oh, wait he did.

I'd recommend not going until after the first week is over, not just on the grounds that Abrams is over the film (though scepticism that he'll finally deliver something worth watching is a valid position to hold), but given the way modern cinema works, you'll avoid all the knuckle draggers and mouth breathers and be able to enjoy the film in peace (pretty much nearly every film has it's cinema take massively frontloaded these days, largely due to marketing strategies generating massive hype for massively mediocre films), if it turns out to be good.

Advertisement