Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

the_monkey wrote: »
    I remember back in '97 GL mentioning that it was a 3*3 and he took the middle trilogy which had the best story to make...

Lucky for us, we won't be getting his 7 - 9 trilogy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

absolutely!

But this prequel/sequel thing is not a money spinning "new" idea like some think, the premise has always been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    maybe I am just old but when did Star Wars start being called 'A New Hope'?
    When I was a kid it was always just Star Wars

It still just Star Wars for some of us...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Lucky for us, we won't be getting his 7 - 9 trilogy then.

My understanding was he gave the basic story outline to Disney and that's what they're following.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

ads20101 wrote: »
    Don't rule out watching them again.

Some of the best films ever made IMHO

As for the new trailer - I think I nearly had an accident when han & chewie appeared at the end

While I'm a fan of star wars, I think its a stretch to say some of the best films ever made to be honest.

I just watched the original trilogy over the weekend, and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd struggle to put any of them into my top 10.

Star Wars mental popularity and place in hearts is obviously from a generation and era where this sort of film was new, and massive spaceships was a genuine jaw dropping moment.

I'm not going to go into a big mad retro review of them, but I've never freaked my **** over them. I've always felt better Star Wars experiences were had in some of the video games. I still feel that Knights of the Old Republic is a far superior narrative and story then the films, and enjoy that game more then the films. I long for the day someone takes it up and makes it. It's a lot more mature, and it has some incredible story and characters.

I geniuenlly hope that this set of films really takes a grasp of the concepts and ideas that are in that universe. Even looking back at six films present now, there was potential for some amazing story and mind blowing stuff, some incredible mythology etc, but it actually end sup being really frivolous and to be blunt about it, a bit rubbish.

Obviously script leaks come with a health warning of being potential a massive lie, but some of the stuff I've read about this, looks like finally the film will get into some of the meat of what the most interesting concept of Star Wars, the Jedi, Sith and the Force.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan but I'm not really surprised an adult seeing them for the first time wasn't bowled over, I don't think I'd be as invested in them now if I only watched them for the first time, the nostalgia factor makes a big difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan but I'm not really surprised an adult seeing them for the first time wasn't bowled over, I don't think I'd be as invested in them now if I only watched them for the first time, the nostalgia factor makes a big difference imo.

I saw 1-3 first, and then the originals after. I'd seen them as a small child but never really understood them, was just some noises and lights on screen to keep me happy :)

But after seeing Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as a teen, I was entranced by the concept of the Jedi and Sith and thought the lightsabre duels where incredible. When I then went to watch the Originals, I was extremely disappointed with how the lightsabre battles happened, and how and what the story was about.

I thought, with so much reference to "the prophecy" in 1-3, that it would form a big part of 4-6.

Does seem to be a theme that people who saw the originals during their first screening, seemed much more protective and nostalgic over them.

MY nephew who is pretty opinionated, who loves Star Wars, has all his influences from the video games and the prequel trilogy. I'd say he would cause seizures if he came into post here with his thoughts on the originals :D

My understanding was he gave the basic story outline to Disney and that's what they're following.

Ya, and I'm nearly sure I read that GL said about ep 7, is that its not the direction he would have went with the story.

I think I read that in this thread somewhere, ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Ya, and I'm nearly sure I read that GL said about ep 7, is that its not the direction he would have went with the story.

Well that's reassuring anyway.

Well that's reassuring anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

People give George Lucas some amount of **** yet.... he invented the ****ing story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Poor George is getting awful stick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

An adult seeing them for the first time might not get too excited. But my kids (3 & 5) have watched them all and they absolutely love them. Can't get enough

J Mysterio wrote: »
    People give George Lucas some amount of **** yet.... he invented the ****ing story.

Yeah but it's like they said in the Red Letter Media reviews of the prequels, he was brilliant, came up with a fantastic story that was a homage to his boyhood influences, and he created in adversity a tremendous visual spectacle and an iconic world. Nobody doubts that. But then in the prequels there is no evidence of anyone being willing to question him anymore, and he doesn't question himself, and that complacency is there for all to see in the movies that made it to screen, which are static, lack spontaneity, are horribly scripted, make no sense, and are shoddy and forgettable all round. Basically, the Sick Boy theory of life, first he had it, then he lost it, and now it's gone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

pixelburp wrote: »
    I particularly loved some of the initial reaction to the Disney takeover, with the outrage that Disney might cheapen the Star Wars brand with inevitable toy lines and merchandise, as if such a thing had never been a problem with the franchise :D

I know right, like Star Wars didn't already CREATE movie merchandising in the late 70's to now. And the quality (thematically at least) of the films still holds up no matter how overexposed they are/were.

If the franchise hadn't being buried long at this point, it'll never be. Now that there's a revival, we won't have the same material recycled over and over, and when you think about it for a series that changed blockbuster film making, there have only been 6 films since nearly 40 years ago. In modern terms that's low.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Yeah George you beardy hack, you may have created a fictional world which has kept millions of us entertained for almost 40 years in films, cartoons, toys, games, comics and books, started companies which revolutionised movie sound and SFX, donated actual billions to literacy programmes and other charities, but what have you done for me lately?

If I were George, I'd be spending my days chuckling with unconstrained schadenfreude as I awaited fandom's inevitable reaction to the schmaltzy death of a geriatric Han Solo.

We'll be begging for him to come back yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I just finished reading How Star Wars Conquered the Universe by Chris Taylor (well worth the read btw) and tbh, it's very evident that Lucas never envisioned anything beyond the first movie, or at least, never intended to do anything beyond the first movie himself. He liked the idea of handing the universe over to others from the very start but got annoyed at the treatments he was seeing for sequels. He's pulled the notion of their being multiple trilogies out of his ass a few times, and admitted at others that he never had anything beyond vague ideas for the prequels and sequels to the original trilogy. He made it all up as he went along and got some bits brilliantly right and others horrifically wrong, particularly in the prequels where he didn't allow a final script polish from better writers no-one would stand up to him on his awful dialogue in the way that the likes of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford did in the original movies.

Tordelback wrote: »

Well I won't be.

There is no denying he created something great, look at all us 30something year olds (and older) going mad over a new film!

But, he did kinda completely lose it with the prequels and the constant messing with the originals.

Not that he cares what we think...he has billions of dollars to console himself with even if he did care.

Tordelback wrote: »
    Yeah George you beardy hack, you may have created a fictional world which has kept millions of us entertained for almost 40 years in films, cartoons, toys, games, comics and books, started companies which revolutionised movie sound and SFX, donated actual billions to literacy programmes and other charities, but what have you done for me lately?

If I were George, I'd be spending my days chuckling with unconstrained schadenfreude as I awaited fandom's inevitable reaction to the schmaltzy death of a geriatric Han Solo.

Yeah you're right the prequels weren't ****e at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Revenge of the Sith was good, the other two were pretty horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,668 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney added about $2b to it's share price on the back of the trailer..

That is pretty crazy really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sleepy wrote: »
    I just finished reading How Star Wars Conquered the Universe by Chris Taylor (well worth the read btw) and tbh, it's very evident that Lucas never envisioned anything beyond the first movie, or at least, never intended to do anything beyond the first movie himself. He liked the idea of handing the universe over to others from the very start but got annoyed at the treatments he was seeing for sequels. He's pulled the notion of their being multiple trilogies out of his ass a few times, and admitted at others that he never had anything beyond vague ideas for the prequels and sequels to the original trilogy. He made it all up as he went along and got some bits brilliantly right and others horrifically wrong, particularly in the prequels where he didn't allow a final script polish from better writers no-one would stand up to him on his awful dialogue in the way that the likes of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford did in the original movies.

In fairness, Lucas already knew his dialogue was terrible which is why he asked Huyck and Katz to re-write it, which they did, significantly. Bar some of Hamill’s stuff, it’s actually really good for the most part, as you would expect from the writers of American Graffiti. The wit-to-cheese ratio is higher than most modern blockbusters.

I’d argue that the script and directing issues with the prequels were less due to people not standing up to Lucas and more to do with him having burned all his bridges with the Hollywood unions in the ‘80s. Lucas actually asked Kasdan and Darabont to write the script for the TPM and repeatedly stated he was open to other people directing Episodes II and III. Darabont even entered into negotiations, but balked when he realised it would have to be a non-WGA job. The same happened with Kasdan and any other writers/directors Lucas approached. This is also likely the real reason why Lynch, Cronenberg and Spielberg turned down Jedi. Nobody goes against the guilds unless they want to end up in court and agentless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

more to do with him having burned all his bridges with the Hollywood unions in the ‘80s.

What did he do? Any link to a story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Sleepy wrote: »
    He made it all up as he went along and got some bits brilliantly right and others horrifically wrong, particularly in the prequels where he didn't allow a final script polish from better writers no-one would stand up to him on his awful dialogue in the way that the likes of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford did in the original movies.

George gets a great knowing laugh from Harrison Ford in the crowd at 4:42 when he was presented a lifetime achievement award. He knows what's up. This speech says so much about the man in general. So humble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Synode wrote: »
    What did he do? Any link to a story?

Lucas didn't like their the director's guild policy around pre film credits and had a disagreement about what he wanted for ESB so he quit the guild. Not sure if he burnt bridges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm really looking forward to it, and I really hope that they expand on the lore/universe instead of just lots of CGI chases in spaceships that go on too long.

As for the sequels? I still love that scene where the doors open and Darth Maul releases both sabers. Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In fairness, Lucas already knew his dialogue was terrible which is why he asked Huyck and Katz to re-write it, which they did, significantly. Bar some of Hamill’s stuff, it’s actually really good for the most part, as you would expect from the writers of American Graffiti. The wit-to-cheese ratio is higher than most modern blockbusters.

I’d argue that the script and directing issues with the prequels were less due to people not standing up to Lucas and more to do with him having burned all his bridges with the Hollywood unions in the ‘80s. Lucas actually asked Kasdan and Darabont to write the script for the TPM and repeatedly stated he was open to other people directing Episodes II and III. Darabont even entered into negotiations, but balked when he realised it would have to be a non-WGA job. The same happened with Kasdan and any other writers/directors Lucas approached. This is also likely the real reason why Lynch, Cronenberg and Spielberg turned down Jedi. Nobody goes against the guilds unless they want to end up in court and agentless.
    Oh, I'd agree, as a film-maker he always needed a proper scriptwriter to add decent dialogue to his vision. I think in the absence of one though, the actors should have challenged him on some of the dialogue they were lumbered with. Easier said than done if you're a 19 year old virtually unknown (and arguably to be fair, even if you're a seasoned pro filming against green screens for the first time).

Unions... they ruin everything eventually! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Corvo wrote: »
    As for the prequels? I still love that scene where the doors open and Darth Maul releases both sabers. Classic.

Fixed it there, but also I agree with you. The "duel of the fates" wasn't it? Ironically TFM delivered more quality Star Wars-y moments than either of the follow ups. Some great landscapes too, and Naboo looked amazing. I didn't find Jake Lloyd as annoying as most people do, and as for Jar Jar... well:

comicbookguy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

the_monkey wrote: »
    You didn't like the 1st Star Trek he did then ?

Two hours of watching catch-phrases from TOS with no interval of inventiveness or proper storytelling in between? A cast where only one of them even bothered to try and understand the part he was playing (Karl Urban as Bones)? A script that bordered on the lines of "Profit and Lace" for awfulness?

You bet your arse I didn't (well, at least when I took the time to actually think about what I witnessed, having seen the film the first week of release).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The premise for Rogue one pisses me off no end, its ALWAYS been canon that Luke created Rogue Squadron after the first death star blew, and if Rogue One is set between RotS and NH then this stomping all over canon is just getting ridiculous as its not possible for Luke to have started them, it also likely destroys the likelihood of seeing any of the great characters and plots from the x-wing books ever again

Advertisement