Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

I wonder how much it would cost for a private showing? :D:D:D

If I get a ticket for opening show I'll be happy. Jam packed but as long as you don't get stuck behind the tallest person in the country, or in front of THAT person that can't sit still with twitchy feet! :mad: ;)

The buzz from all the other people dying to see it is deadly too. Really adds to the enjoyment. Got that feeling from Lord of the Rings at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I was totally put off 3D by the last Hobbit movie - also due to the increased frame rate. I felt like I was watching a made for TV movie.

Not sure what frame rate TFA will be but I'm not risking it - old school 2D for me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was totally put off 3D by the last Hobbit movie - also due to the increased frame rate. I felt like I was watching a made for TV movie.

Not sure what frame rate TFA will be but I'm not risking it - old school 2D for me.

I don't think HFR like in the hobbit is possible with 35mm film so it will surely be the usual 24fps? That's only an assumption on my part though, but if this was being filmed in HFR they'd probably be publicising it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes, it will be good old 24fps, no worries there. Not even sure James Cameron is going with HFR for Avatar sequels anymore.

As for 3d, the list of essential 3d films begins with Goodbye to Language. It also ends with Goodbye to Language. Otherwise it is a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Yes, it will be good old 24fps, no worrie there. Not even sure James Cameron is going with HFR for Avatar sequels.

As for 3d, the list of essential 3d films begins with Goodbye to Language. It also ends with Goodbye to Language.

Not to derail the thread but there is allot of good 3D films out there if you look beyond the Hollywood blockbusters.

As for Star Wars The Force Awakens god it going to be a nightmare to see this when it comes out to try and avoid spoilers and the way crowds are in the cinema

I can see something like this happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm the opposite (not about 3D - that can fook off) but regarding the "craic" - I'm planning to wait awhile before I see it, so the cinema is a little quieter / less morons eating nachos etc / less likely to have someone's big head in your way. Maybe an early morning mid week showing.

Isn't it amazing the amount of people that attend the cinema that have huge domes for heads? Like fooking Frankenstein stuff. I think they grew up too close to power lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's no way I'm going to this in 3D.

I went to the Avengers the other night and the old mince pies gave me a very stern look when I got home.

They weren't happy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Corvo wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing the amount of people that attend the cinema that have huge domes for heads? Like fooking Frankenstein stuff. I think they grew up too close to power lines.

Some people just sit up straight, instead of slouching like normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Some people just sit up straight, instead of slouching like normal people.

Posturing feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm the opposite (not about 3D - that can fook off) but regarding the "craic" - I'm planning to wait awhile before I see it, so the cinema is a little quieter / less morons eating nachos etc / less likely to have someone's big head in your way. Maybe an early morning mid week showing.

I'm the exact same, so will be waiting a week or two post release to take the plunge. The barrage of phones, chatter, & just general lack of any form of consideration means I rarely, rarely frequent a cinema these days. I know that can generally be avoided by going to less mainstream cinemas, but even at that, people will if they can find ways to annoy....the man in the IFI at the T2 35mm screening can attest to that, he seemed to think it was a comedy film!

So no, no 'craic' for me either. Just give me a dark room, silence, a big screen, & a good film and I'm happy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've said this before in several threads, but I really think people worry too much about the cinema. I go two or three times a week, and very rarely encounter any issues beyond very mild annoyances. Even at peak times. Choose the right cinema - and Lighthouse and IMC Dun Laoghaire audiences are almost always perfectly behaved for any major releases - and you're fine, whether that's opening night or a few weeks after release. Daytime screenings are the ideal, but again I simply haven't encountered anywhere near enough bad experiences to put me off the many benefits of heading to the cinema - and I've been to the cinema enough that that's a conclusion with plenty of evidence!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So the second Star Wars Anthology director has left for "personal reasons."

I loved Chronicle, but I can understand why people don't like it, and the upcoming Fantastic Four film doesn't look great in my opinion, but I'm still disappointed that he's gone, thought that he could have brought original at least.

Still, plenty of other directors out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

CatInABox wrote: »
    So the second Star Wars Anthology director has left for "personal reasons."

2d7ea8e38d4a66db680e9e608d6d622a97c6079871930ebdf1f8f7090343c0ff.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've said this before in several threads, but I really think people worry too much about the cinema. I go two or three times a week, and very rarely encounter any issues beyond very mild annoyances. Even at peak times. Choose the right cinema - and Lighthouse and IMC Dun Laoghaire audiences are almost always perfectly behaved for any major releases - and you're fine, whether that's opening night or a few weeks after release. Daytime screenings are the ideal, but again I simply haven't encountered anywhere near enough bad experiences to put me off the many benefits of heading to the cinema - and I've been to the cinema enough that that's a conclusion with plenty of evidence!

You're totally right in what you're saying JU, it is a case of knowing when and where to go for the best experience. It's not always convenient to seek out the less mainstream screens, and there are the dreaded times, when I've to frequent the likes of Vue etc. The things people mention like constant chatter, phones lighting up, loud talking, seat kicking, constant disruptions, people using the cinema as a hang out area etc are all real though, & certainly not imagined. I'd imagine such is a lot less likely though, the further away from mainstream one goes hence why you don't experience it all that often. Well, except for "old man in cinema" which I'll leave you to explain to the good folk here :p I do take your point though in the same respect.

However, Star Wars is a film I'll gladly brave the mainstream screens for, albeit well after release & prob about about 10am of a Sunday morning :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

osNLL8t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

5543ca96801ffcbc36b34181_vanity-fair-star-wars-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Is that real?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s real, but it’s not an official still. It’s from Annie Leibovitz’s photoshoot for Vanity Fair. Here’s the video:

More images here:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-force-awakens-photos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Was it known that Lupita Nyong'o's character was CGI? And does that mean we would have two CGI characters, assuming Andy Serkis is one also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Here are some of the images from the vanity fair shoot along with identity of chrome stormtrooper

bEqWTl2.jpg

vEdCFXH.jpg

ckyczWG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love the alien characters... Very nostalgia buzz going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

****, this thread is getting spoilery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That 'chrometrooper' looks ridiculously cool though.

Probably somewhat off topic, but I really have to wonder if it's actually Peter Mayhew in that Chewie suit. He's so crippled with back problems that I cannot see him undergoing the rigors of a grueling make up session and a shoot.

It also makes me wonder how long Han and Chewie will be in the new film, considering Mayhew's condition and the fact that Ford is a septuagenarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Tony EH wrote: »
    Probably somewhat off topic, but I really have to wonder if it's actually Peter Mayhew in that Chewie suit. He's so crippled with back problems that I cannot see him undergoing the rigors of a grueling make up session and a shoot.

It also makes me wonder how long Han and Chewie will be in the new film, considering Mayhew's condition and the fact that Ford is a septuagenarian.

Surely they could just put any big tall fella in the Chewie suit?

Surely they could just put any big tall fella in the Chewie suit?

That's sort of my point. Be Mayhew is credited as Chewbacca for the film.

If he's really doing it, then fair balls. I'd say at times it must be awful for him though. He can barely stand at the best of times and needs walking sticks to move about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's sort of my point. Be Mayhew is credited as Chewbacca for the film.

If he's really doing it, then fair balls. I'd say at times it must be awful for him though. He can barely stand at the best of times and needs walking sticks to move about.

I'd say he'll have stunt doubles if he's doing anything in particular but if he's sitting around or just standing Mahew will fill in.

It's about the idea of it. Mahew deserved to be involved.

Agree totally. It wouldn't be Star Wars without him mentioned.

I'm just wondering how he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,549 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Second Star Wars Standalone Film Rumored To Be

A Boba Fett Origin Story

Spoiler link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

The chrome stormtrooper is Gwendaline Christie who plays Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones.

Advertisement