Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

J Mysterio wrote: »
    ****, this thread is getting spoilery

Agree. I think I'm gonna bail. I've seen too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd say he'll have stunt doubles if he's doing anything in particular but if he's sitting around or just standing Mahew will fill in.

It's about the idea of it. Mahew deserved to be involved.

I hope the stand in can do his very unique odd Chewbacca run.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

****, this thread is getting spoilery

Yeah... I'm trying to ignore but I keep getting dragged back in! One of my mates has done a very good job ignoring everything. Hasn't seen either trailer or any pics or read any storyline speculation... and he runs a sci-fi blog! Fair play to him.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Probably somewhat off topic, but I really have to wonder if it's actually Peter Mayhew in that Chewie suit. He's so crippled with back problems that I cannot see him undergoing the rigors of a grueling make up session and a shoot.

It also makes me wonder how long Han and Chewie will be in the new film, considering Mayhew's condition and the fact that Ford is a septuagenarian.

I had to google that. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Second Star Wars Standalone Film Rumored To Be

A Boba Fett Origin Story

Spoiler link

Might be an idea to have separate threads for the spin-off films? Could get messy in here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

.ak wrote: »
    I had to google that. Fair play.

ha ha...what do I win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tony EH wrote: »
    ha ha...what do I win?

The award for using words that make youfeel clever ;-)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Award rescinded.

Awwwwww...

:(

It would have looked nice next to the plastic Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kaloshma

Okay now i believe it.
    But it so long and i have forgoten almost all. I have to start all over again.
    Loving this!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I really hope we're not seeing re-jigged Empire vs Rebels action, Vader worshipping/grave robbing, in particular. it would be nice for people to impose some standards for a change instead of giving the movie credit for simply pulling their nostalgia strings and pandering.

The new films could do with a bit more zen director and more zen in general.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Watching that makes me want to punch every single one of those 'reaction' video authors *sigh* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

That video was the ultimate 'reaction' video to the trailer. It was actually exactly the thing it's supposed to be slagging. It's going to be a long 7 months till the movie is released.

I remember during the original movies era, you'd get the odd article in a magazine 6-12 months out from the movie release, a few trailers on the TV at release and a 'making of' documentary on TV when the movie came out. Not as clumsy or as random as a blogger.

It was a more elegant media for a more civilised age. Before the dark times, before the Internet !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wedwood wrote: »
    Not as clumsy or as random as a blogger.

It was a more elegant media for a more civilised age. Before the dark times, before the Internet !!

Ha, nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

The chrome stormtrooper is Gwendaline Christie who plays Brienne of Tarth in Game of Thrones.
    Hmm, in danger of being typecast as Big Chick In Armour? Thought her acting was a bit stilted at first in GoT but she has really grown into that role so hopefully will do well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have to say I'm not mad about the Chrome Trooper nor the Snow Troopers.

From the dark lit corridor scene in the trailer and stills from the trailer I thought the Chrome Troopers armour was Gunmetal Grey/Dark Titanium coloured and thought it looked Bad-@ss. I was actually confused as to why everyone was referring to him/her as the 'Chrome' Trooper. Now I know why! It is indeed chrome and tbh looks a bit too cheesey 70's Cylon for my taste. And now to find its Brienne inside!! I don't think its a good idea to be reminded of GOT while watching StarWars as it risks pulling me out of it. That kind of thing isn't a worry with other familiar actors when they are playing totally different characters and costumes to anything thing else they've been in but Brienne being a bad @ss knight in chrome armour in both is too close IMHO.

As for the Snow troopers. The proportionally larger and flared helmet compared to the original design is getting a bit to close to the giant helmet worn by Rick Moranis in Spaceballs. I don't want to be reminded of Spaceballs while watching Star Wars either!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Calibos wrote: »

As for the Snow troopers. The proportionally larger and flared helmet compared to the original design is getting a bit to close to the giant helmet worn by Rick Moranis in Spaceballs. I don't want to be reminded of Spaceballs while watching Star Wars either!! :D

You went over my helmet?

Calibos wrote: »
    Have to say I'm not mad about the Chrome Trooper nor the Snow Troopers.

From the dark lit corridor scene in the trailer and stills from the trailer I thought the Chrome Troopers armour was Gunmetal Grey/Dark Titanium coloured and thought it looked Bad-@ss. I was actually confused as to why everyone was referring to him/her as the 'Chrome' Trooper. Now I know why! It is indeed chrome and tbh looks a bit too cheesey 70's Cylon for my taste. And now to find its Brienne inside!! I don't think its a good idea to be reminded of GOT while watching StarWars as it risks pulling me out of it. That kind of thing isn't a worry with other familiar actors when they are playing totally different characters and costumes to anything thing else they've been in but Brienne being a bad @ss knight in chrome armour in both is too close IMHO.

I loved the chrome trooper because it reminded me of the 70s! Which is exactly what they need to be going for. The other pics of the alien suits and puppets fill me with confidence - the prequels are far too removed from the originals because they wanted to make everything look different and new and clean and fresh. Fine, it's a different 'era', but not really, it's only 20 odd years off by the time of RotS right?

This looks far more in keeping with the originals, so the idea is if you finish watching RoTJ you should be able to pop this on and it still seem like the same universe. I never got that with the prequels. Watching RoTS then onto ANH never really clicked for me.

I also thought it was a black trooper and was excited! I would prefer black but that's just the nerd in me. The chrome trooper looks naff and that's what the 70s/80s were all about! It looks like the right call to me.

Ha, the Spaceballs reference will ruin the snowtroopers for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I loved the chrome trooper because it reminded me of the 70s! Which is exactly what they need to be going for. The other pics of the alien suits and puppets fill me with confidence - the prequels are far too removed from the originals because they wanted to make everything look different and new and clean and fresh. Fine, it's a different 'era', but not really, it's only 20 odd years off by the time of RotS right?

This looks far more in keeping with the originals, so the idea is if you finish watching RoTJ you should be able to pop this on and it still seem like the same universe. I never got that with the prequels. Watching RoTS then onto ANH never really clicked for me.

I also thought it was a black trooper and was excited! I would prefer black but that's just the nerd in me. The chrome trooper looks naff and that's what the 70s/80s were all about! It looks like the right call to me.

Ha, the Spaceballs reference will ruin the snowtroopers for me! :D

I thiink that's great how they're keeping contunity with the originals, which is almost never done. It always annoys to see rebooted or prequel films like Prometheus where none of the tech looks remotely like the original, just because it's 30 years later in real time, and then they get lazy breaking the look of continuity of the universe.

It would have been great if Prometheus had been full of 70's white designs, (even hairstyles) CRT monitors instead of holographic displays and gunmetal steel. Like how Alien Isolation did it.

If you set up a universe one way in the 70's and 80's, stick to the look.

The Thing prequel was one of the few others that did this well.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw this gallery on reddit today, not related to the upcoming movie but I thought it was pretty cool: https://imgur.com/gallery/WdtoP

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They are very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

China to screen the episodes IV-VI for the first time;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3096660/China-set-six-Star-Wars-films-time-Shanghai-Film-Festival.html

They are available on dvd there but never shown on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

funny_pictures_of_the_day_18.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That was indeed Andy Serkis' voice on the trailer: he is doing motion capture for Snoke:

Andy-Serkis-Star-Wars-Character-700x525.jpg

No pictures of the character yet, just speculation ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Aaaaaah! Feck ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Aaaaaah! Feck ya!
    What? Should I have put SPOILER around that? :confused:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Think it was fairly well obvious serkis was always gonna play an emperor type dude

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bnt wrote: »
    What? Should I have put SPOILER around that? :confused:

I think he meant that in the "F**k Yeah!" sense.

• Advertisement

Think it was fairly well obvious serkis was always gonna play an emperor type dude

Maybe but I hadnt thought of it. Now I know that on of the major sith characters will be basically CGI.

Advertisement