Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

A decent script would've been a start...

FYP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels. I think the story in the prequels is fine. Better than fine, in fact. Lucas just needed someone to do a really good dialogue re-write. The original Star Wars actually has some excellent dialogue, but Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz wrote it all.
    LUKE
    If we don’t do something, they’re going to execute her! A minute ago you said you didn’t want to just wait here and be captured… and now all you want to do is stay.
    HAN
    Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind.
    LUKE
    But they’re going to execute her!
    HAN
    Better her than me…
    LUKE
    I’ve seen her… she’s beautiful!
    HAN
    So’s life.
    LUKE
    She’s rich.
    HAN
    So… uh… rich?
    LUKE
    Yes, powerful and rich and if we were to rescue her, the reward would be more wealth than you can imagine.
    HAN
    I don’t know… I can imagine quite a bit.
    LUKE
    You’ll get it!
    Han looks at Chewie who grunts a short grunt.

It's difficult to imagine the original film being so much fun without witty exchanges like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels.

There is nothing wrong with the dialogue in the prequels. See this gem below:pac:
    ANAKIN: Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire.

OBI-WAN: Your new Empire?

ANAKIN: Don't make me kill you.

OBI-WAN: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic ... to democracy.

ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

Sigh, I retract my above statement.

The democracy line is particular is painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the senate scenes are my favourite. the dialogue just zings, it's so snappy and witty
    AMIDALA : Honorable representatives of the Republic, distinguished
    delegates, and Your Honor Supreme Chancellor Valorum, I come to you under
    the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded by force.
    Invaded...against all the laws of the Republic by the Droid Armies of the
    Trade...
    LOTT DOD : I object! There is no proof. This is incredible. We recommend a
    commision be sent to Naboo to assertain the truth.
    VALORUM : Overruled.
    LOTT DOD : Your Honor, you cannot allow us to be condemned without
    reasonable observation. It's against all the rules of procedure.

AKS MOE : The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate
    from the Trade Federation. A commision must be appointed...that is the law.
    VALORUM : The point...

PALPATINE : Enter the bureaucrats, the true rulers of the Republic, and on
    the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add. This is where Chancellor
    Valorum's strength will dissapear.
    VALORUM : The point is conceded...Section 523A take precedence here. Queen
    Amidala of the Naboo, will you defer your motion to allow a commission to
    explore the validity of your accusations?

AMIDALA : (angrily) I will not defer...I have come before you to resolve
    this attack on our sovereignty now. I was not elected to watch my people
    suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee. If this body
    is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a
    "vote of no confidence"...in Chancellor Valorum's leadership.
    VALORUM : What?...No!

Oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Dialogue was the major problem with the scripts for the prequels. I think the story in the prequels is fine. Better than fine, in fact. Lucas just needed someone to do a really good dialogue re-write. The original Star Wars actually has some excellent dialogue, but Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz wrote it all.

It's difficult to imagine the original film being so much fun without witty exchanges like this.

God no. The amount of plot holes was just absolutely horrendous.
    Very little made sense. It was convoluted and confusing and Lucas just tried to horn is as much CGI as he could to make up for it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I can't think of one line I laughed at in TPM. AOTC had some real doozies. Obi-Wan's "You'll be the death of me" was awful, the jabbering of C3PO was just plain annoying, and the only laugh I got out if it was the 'death sticks' bit and Anakin's confession to Padme that he can't breath. Get used to it, bud...

What made Sith imo was slightly better dialogue ("How uncivilized!"), and Ian McDairmud hamming it up at the Emperor. Alas, the lightsabre fight was more or less just two blue stobe lights flashing for ten minutes. For all its faults, TPM did have a great lightsabre duel.

But yeah, the original three had much snappier dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The romantic dialogue was spot on too:
    PADME: Annie, I want to have our baby back home on Naboo. We could go to the lake country where no one would know . . . where we would be safe. I could go early-and fix up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, right by the gardens.

ANAKIN: You are so beautiful!

PADME: It's only because I'm so in love . . .

ANAKIN: No, it's because I'm so in love with you.

PADME: So love has blinded you?

ANAKIN: Well, that's not exactly what I meant . . .

PADME: But it's probably true!

They laugh. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

or how about
    I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

So snappy, so quotable. I don't know how many times I've used that line to look cool with the ladies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The senate scenes aren't even that bad, they are just boring. It's when Lucas is trying to be witty or profound that the really bad stuff comes out. It's like nails on chalkboard. The prequels have so much going on visually and musically and are so imaginatively designed that if the dialogue was just bland and boring (like in the senate scene) I'd be fine with it. But it's very difficult to listen to that crap for two hours. It's a shame there's no isolated score on the DVD/Blu-ray.
    mathie wrote: »
    God no. The amount of plot holes was just absolutely horrendous.
    Very little made sense. It was convoluted and confusing and Lucas just tried to horn is as much CGI as he could to make up for it all.
    I agree, but I was referring to story. Plot is a separate issue. Lots of great films have lousy plots. I'm not sure the originals hold up to much scrutiny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The senate scenes aren't even that bad, they are just boring. It's when Lucas is trying to be witty or profound that the really bad stuff comes out. It's like nails on chalkboard. The prequels have so much going on visually and musically and are so imaginatively designed that if the dialogue was just bland and boring (like in the senate scene) I'd be fine with it. But it's very difficult to listen to that crap for two hours. It's a shame there's no isolated score on the DVD/Blu-ray.

I agree, but I was referring to story. Plot is a separate issue. Lots of great films have lousy plots. I'm not sure the originals hold up to much scrutiny either.

Please elaborate .

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

How about this peach of a line from Obi,
    first part of the video only, dont know whats going on in the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is there any particular reason why they elected to invent a completely new word for children?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Gbear wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why they elected to invent a completely new word for children?

Who knows, crazy people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Could you lay out the story of the prequels for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Gbear wrote: »

It's so they wouldn't have to say "kill the children", instead it's "kill the younglings", and frighten children.. After all, these are movies for younglings kids. As the dialogue I posted from the senate scene above perfectly illustrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Looks like Han and Leia may make an appearance, the thick plottens:

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Carrie-Fisher-to-reprise-her-role-as-Princess-Leia/148782.htm

I could be about to relive 1981 again, please god ,please....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm guessing VoiceOver or hologram, you couldn't put that in a gold bikini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

word knocking around the transformers sites is disney is gunning to buy hasbro now.

that pretty much means theyve tied up pretty much EVERY major boys franchise going if it goes ahead.

it'll be like a mouse monopoly

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

That's a crap article. Carrie Fisher is of course best-known as Leia, but you're a journalist writing about film, and the "only thing other than Star Wars which springs to mind" is When Harry Met Sally? So you haven't seen Shampoo, Hannah and Her Sisters, or The Blues Brothers? And you don't know that she wrote (and later adapted for the screen) a bestselling novel, Postcards from the Edge? Do your research, Entertainment.ie person!

Kinski wrote: »
    That's a crap article. Carrie Fisher is of course best-known as Leia, but you're a journalist writing about film, and the "only thing other than Star Wars which springs to mind" is When Harry Met Sally? So you haven't seen Shampoo, Hannah and Her Sisters, or The Blues Brothers? And you don't know that she wrote (and later adapted for the screen) a bestselling novel, Postcards from the Edge? Do your research, Entertainment.ie person!

TBH I'd expect better from a journalist who uses phrases like "one of my fave movies ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

you would? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I don't think entertainment.ie is any good in general but that was an awful excuse for article.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, the director might still be a mystery, but the scriptwriter isnt. Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) will be writing the script, presumably ignoring Lucas' dialogue suggestions:

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

He's well able to strike the balance between mature enough for adults while childish enough for kids.

Good decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, the director might still be a mystery, but the scriptwriter isnt. Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) will be writing the script, presumably ignoring Lucas' dialogue suggestions:

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

This is looking promising, TS3 was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Well, Vaughn is usually writer-director (with his own preferred co-writers), so I wonder if this pours some cold water on rumours that he's directing. Tbh, I'm not that hot on the idea of someone who produced a bunch of Guy Richie films and made Kick-Ass (which had some decent scenes but overall really sucked, especially the handling of character) helming this.

Haven't seen Toy Story 3, but I thought Little Miss Sunshine was a bit crap.

pixelburp wrote: »

Good choice. Little Miss Sunshine was a breath of fresh air. Also, have to admit when those Toys were falling down the chute into the furnace at the end of TS3, I actually cared! Get that kinda feeling back into Star Wars and the franchise might finally show people again what all the hype was about back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kinski wrote: »
    Well, Vaughn is usually writer-director (with his own preferred co-writers), so I wonder if this pours some cold water on rumours that he's directing. Tbh, I'm not that hot on the idea of someone who produced a bunch of Guy Richie films and made Kick-Ass (which had some decent scenes but overall really sucked, especially the handling of character) helming this.

Haven't seen Toy Story 3, but I thought Little Miss Sunshine was a bit crap.

Toy Story 3 is fantastic, genuinely can't recommend it enough.

While Little Miss Sunshine wasn't everyone's cup of tea, it was really well written, so this should be good.

Somebody posted this in You Laugh, You Lose -
    0Rekj.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Zach Efron in it. In movies like Water for Elephants, Me & Orson Welles and even 17 Again, he has proven himself to be a competent actor with enough charm and charisma to pull off a role like that.

Shia LaBeouf in talks to star as the son of Luke Skywalker.

http://collider.com/shia-labeouf-in-talks-for--episode-7/210108/

j/k :pac:

• Advertisement

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Zach Efron in it. In movies like Water for Elephants, Me & Orson Welles and even 17 Again, he has proven himself to be a competent actor with enough charm and charisma to pull off a role like that.

Enron wasn't in Water for Elephants, that was Robert Pattenson.

I really like Efron as an actor, he's charming, charasmatic and is actually a damn fine actor whose not taking the easy part but going after interesting roles. Could easily see him as a young Han Solo.

Advertisement