Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'll be seeing it in 2D anyway.

Still think 3D is such a distracting gimmick, not sure why it hasn't fizzled out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

.ak wrote: »
    I'll be seeing it in 2D anyway.

Still think 3D is such a distracting gimmick, not sure why it hasn't fizzled out yet.

I've heard that Ant-Man is supposed to be very good in 3D, but I think that it is unique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

2D all the way. Unless a film is purposely shot in 3D, it can feck off, & even then, I'm not inclined to bother these days. Avatar 3D blew me away, but in the six years since, I've not seen anything rival as a demonstration of the tech itself.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

robdonn wrote: »
    I've heard that Ant-Man is supposed to be very good in 3D, but I think that it is unique.

I saw it in 3D (only convenient time that day was a 3D showing unfortunately) and it didn't enhance the experience one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,621 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Myrddin wrote: »
    2D all the way. Unless a film is purposely shot in 3D, it can feck off, & even then, I'm not inclined to bother these days. Avatar 3D blew me away, but in the six years since, I've not seen anything rival as a demonstration of the tech itself.

Piranha 3DD was actually one of the best I have seen for display of 3D tech - no joke. Not even talking from a DD persepctive! Was actually just a very good example of depth actually being visually there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I never got the 3D fad. To me the quality of the picture is poor and after 10mins you don't even notice the 3D anymore.

They try it every few decades and it wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Piranha 3DD was actually one of the best I have seen for display of 3D tech - no joke. Not even talking from a DD persepctive! Was actually just a very good example of depth actually being visually there.

On a scale of 1 to Luke Wilson, how stoned were you when watching that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet is the best 3D film of the past few years but due to distribution issues it never got screened/released in USA or UK/Ireland.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet is the best 3D film of the past few years but due to distribution issues it never got screened/released in USA or UK/Ireland.

I watched that on Netflix, thought it was great, hadn't realised it was made for 3D at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I watched that on Netflix, thought it was great, hadn't realised it was made for 3D at all.

Filmed in 3D 100% Native 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Not his call anymore.

Also, wasn't The Phantom Menace released in 3D a couple of years ago.

It was and it was Lucas's decision to do so. They apparently did it properly though and not some automatic conversion. The sales weren't great though, so the other two prequel movies were never released in 3D- bad enough that the first one was.

JJ isn't a fan of 3D and I really don't understand why Disney are pushing it again. 3D audience numbers are plummeting- I think people got tired of the gimmick. I don't think 3D movies will take off until they become autosteroscopic and the films are designed around a 3D experience.

I've seen way too many movies where the 3D was applied afterwards and applied terribly. Action scenes are impossible to watch in these instances.

Liamario wrote: »
    They apparently did it properly though and not some automatic conversion.

Even at that, I didn't think it was anything other than a tacked on gimmick. The 3D in TPM wasn't all that impressive tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Even at that, I didn't think it was anything other than a tacked on gimmick. The 3D in TPM wasn't all that impressive tbh

You actually paid money and saw it in 3D?? What's wrong with you!

:p

You actually paid money and saw it in 3D?? What's wrong with you!

:p

It was a Star Wars film in the cinema, at a time when Star Wars was finished for good...what can I say :o

It was a Star Wars film in the cinema, at a time when Star Wars was finished for good...what can I say :o

To be fair, I'd go to a cinema screening of the OT in Mountjoy if they had it.

robdonn wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd go to a cinema screening of the OT in Mountjoy if they had it.

Lol, indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

The 3D conversion of Clones was finished too, but was pulled when the Disney deal was confirmed.

Can't help but feel Disney are missing a trick by not re-releasing the original trilogy in the build up to episode 7 - even a limited, one week engagement for each film for the first three weeks in November.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Roar wrote: »
    Can't help but feel Disney are missing a trick by not re-releasing the original trilogy in the build up to episode 7 - even a limited, one week engagement for each film for the first three weeks in November.

This would require a deal with Fox who still own the distribution rights.

In addition to the rights issues, I’d imagine if a re-release happens it will be of the theatrical versions, which could take some time to restore.

This would require a deal with Fox who still own the distribution rights.

In addition to the rights issues, I’d imagine if a re-release happens it will be of the theatrical versions, which could take some time to restore.

The should just use the Despecialized version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Han shot first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The emperor is a monkey woman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

JJ isn't a fan of 3D and I really don't understand why Disney are pushing it again.

Surely it's to help with the box office numbers. 3D is an couple of coins per bum on seat, "IMAX" is a few more again.

Even with a Cineworld Unlimited card going to see an "IMAX" 3D film in Dublin costs around €6.50. (Regular screenings are free, which is the point of the unlimited card subscription).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Never saw these. Deleted scenes from ROTJ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qyXxLIXLw&sns=em

david75 wrote: »
    Never saw these. Deleted scenes from ROTJ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qyXxLIXLw&sns=em

That footage is amazing, but I'm also so glad that they got cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

My favourite bit was yet another stormtrooper walking into scenery (5:30).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

david75 wrote: »

Jesus, that's disgusting. I love Star Wars but stories like this leave you with a massive sour taste. Shame on everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

faceman wrote: »
    Jesus, that's disgusting. I love Star Wars but stories like this leave you with a massive sour taste. Shame on everyone involved.

This was known about a while ago,the Times are sensationalising things.I doubt very much that they are filming a huge battle scene with loads of extras.It's probably one or two characters in the scene.

Since the original filming took place,we've not heard one wildlife expert say the birdlife was affected in any way.Outrage for the sake of it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Mentions nothing about the local yokels who went out there, ate a load of the local flora and fauna, disturbed the local geography, built a monastery then buggered off without restoring the island to it's original state :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Advertisement