Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

I can't get on board with that face mask at all. No great time for that lightsaber either.

Looks like Duck Vader

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

.ak wrote: »
    Really? I think the mask is amazing. Just like the stormtrooper design it plays on the emotive form; an angry scowl featured upon a featureless face. It's very clever. All the Star Wars universe "bad guy" designs often feature very simplistic routes to define their stance in the universe. Take Darth Vader; a skull in a nazi helmet with a furrowed brow. It's so bloody simple but so effective.

The mask is essentially a direct rip off Darth Ravan's ... Although Ravan's would be considered less emotive, but both are very, very simple and very cool, but most importantly very in keeping with the sw universe.

The mask reminds me of the cylons from the original BSG for some reason (it does seem kind of toasterish :pac:) or even the sith from The Old Republic, who wear armour/helmets.

Here's revans mask, originally a mandalorian mask:
    Revanfindsmaskblank.JPG

Really? I just think the light sabre is cool. It's all jagged and flickering suggesting that it wasn't made properly because the maker didn't have the right training (that has been done before in the sw universe).

I don't really get the George Lucas reference. Is it because he introduced mauls double blade? Well aside from the fact different variations of lightsabres have been present in the sw universe well before the prequels were drummed up I thought it did a pretty good job.

Sith, or whatever this guy is, have a history of making sabre more ornate and dangerous. People are assuming their hand guards but they're more likely offering an extra point of attack, something else sticking out that can cause damage. The point is it's not supposed to be practical...

At the end of the day it just looks cool. He just looks like a proper dark, evil knight. Brief nailed.

It just seems unnecessary and just there for the sake of it imo. I mean they just ripped off this classic :
    jesus-star-wars.png?w=620

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At this stage they have to do something with the light sabres, they can't just do the standard design from the OT, with TPM they brought in the double, then they brought in all the colours (purple ffs), they brought in Yoda's small one, Dooku curved hilt and the emperoursurrounding ornate 1.

Personally I like the new 1 for the jagged look, after all in RotJ the Emperour called a lightsabre a Jedi's weapon so I take it that the sith don't put much stock in building proper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

.ak wrote: »
    Really? I think the mask is amazing. Just like the stormtrooper design it plays on the emotive form; an angry scowl featured upon a featureless face. It's very clever. All the Star Wars universe "bad guy" designs often feature very simplistic routes to define their stance in the universe. Take Darth Vader; a skull in a nazi helmet with a furrowed brow. It's so bloody simple but so effective.

While their certainly a lot of Nazi iconography in the star wars films think you'll find the helmet were more modelled on Bushido(Samurai) helmets rather then Nazi ones.

samurai-4.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

While their certainly a lot of Nazi iconography in the star wars films think you'll find the helmet were more modelled on Bushido(Samurai) helmets rather then Nazi ones.

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/samurai-4.jpg

Star Wars is heavily influenced by Seven Samurai

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema-behind-star-wars-seven-samurai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Clareman wrote: »
    Star Wars is heavily influenced by Seven Samurai

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema-behind-star-wars-seven-samurai

And more so by Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

[pedant]It's Lightsaber people. Lightsaber.[/pedant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Looks like Duck Vader

Well now it does!!

....... cant be unseen..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Colin Trevorrow Confirmed As Director for Star Wars IX

http://deadline.com/2015/08/star-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-1201499843/

[pedant]It's Lightsaber people. Lightsaber.[/pedant]

As a proud owner of a Master Replic's Vader RotJ lightsaber, I know :D

Phones tend to split the words though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thrill wrote: »
    Colin Trevorrow Confirmed As Director for Star Wars IX

http://deadline.com/2015/08/star-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-1201499843/

My first instinct was eek!, but I suppose there's nothing particularly wrong with the direction of Jurassic World.

Kids are usually annoying, no matter who's directing them, and Pratt and whatsherface were grand.
    Everything looked pretty, although one would hope they take a leaf out of JJ's book and go a bit more practical.

So long as they've still got someone decent (like Kasdan) to write it hopefully it'll both be fairly good and consistent with the other films in the trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

As a proud owner of a Master Replic's Vader RotJ lightsaber, I know :D

Phones tend to split the words though

Got the Anakin one myself. :pac:

I see that Disney are finally going to make proper use of the licence in their parks. The wreck that is Disney Hollywood Studios is getting a 14 acre SW land. Two main attractions. One is a MF simulator and the other features a battle between the New Order and the resistance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's a huge step down for Abrams and Johnson :( I liked Safety Not Guaranteed and all, but it wasn't exactly the height of auteur driven indie cinema. Jurassic World was as blandly directed a blockbuster as one will find. The other two are much more aesthetically minded directors (I've said it before, but I almost think Rian Johnson is too good for the franchise), well capable of visual spectacle of the old-fashioned kind. While the (slightly baffling!) commercial success of Jurassic World clearly makes Trevorrow an attractive draw for studios, he has yet to prove himself anywhere near a director on the level of the other two. Here's hoping he disproves that here. But can't help but see him as a significantly weaker choice than Johnson and Abrams - but at least it frees those two up to hopefully make some more original fare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very unhappy with choice of director for IX

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Official poster has been released and it's suitably Star Wars, with that classic cinema poster look that's so evocative. Love the use of vertical lines:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2015/08/ep7poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Official poster has been released and it's suitably Star Wars, with that classic cinema poster look that's so evocative. Love the use of vertical lines:

Orange and goddamn teal :P

Cool poster though :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's not the movie poster, it was created just for the Disney conference that's going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Inevitable I guess but Star Wars Land has been announced by Disney.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/d23-star-wars-land-disneyland-1201571059/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Anybody know when the figures are coming out? Thinking of getting me some Storm Troopers...

yea, I'm 32 shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

py2006 wrote: »
    Anybody know when the figures are coming out? Thinking of getting me some Storm Troopers...

yea, I'm 32 shut up
    Disney is set to reveal its anticipated line of "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" toys next month in stores on September 4.
    The toys have supposedly been under lock and key for months in preparation of keeping them hidden from the public eye until next month, but it looks like some retailers may have spoiled parts of the big reveal.

Link contains pics of figures.

http://www.techinsider.io/star-wars-the-force-awakens-toys-pop-up-on-ebay-2015-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So is that the first glimpse we've seen of his lightsaber? Is that official?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

that website is blocked for me.. can anyone put a picture up..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Re-uploaded it to here

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

I just noticed that towards the bottom of the poster in the background you can see the steps from the carbon freezing room on Bespin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Vinculus wrote: »
    I just noticed that towards the bottom of the poster in the background you can see the steps from the carbon freezing room on Bespin.

Oooh, good spot.

I also noticed that the Moisture Vaporator makes it appear like it's featuring Tatooine, but there are actually 3 suns in the poster. Unless the smallest one in the bottom left is actually just a lens flare... (*cough* JJ *cough*)

I'm not a fan of that poster to be honest, the biggest problem is Han having such a massive part of it, I know Ford is the biggest star in the movies but he isn't the biggest character, why have some much poster real estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I'm not a fan of that poster to be honest, the biggest problem is Han having such a massive part of it, I know Ford is the biggest star in the movies but he isn't the biggest character, why have some much poster real estate?

If you watch the Disney Conference, Boyega clearly states this is a mock-up for the Disney Conference. The official poster has yet to be released. Harrison Ford is on it because he is the only old-trilogy actor to have been officially revealed thus far. Nobody knows what Hamill and Fisher look like in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

robdonn wrote: »
    Oooh, good spot.

I also noticed that the Moisture Vaporator makes it appear like it's featuring Tatooine, but there are actually 3 suns in the poster. Unless the smallest one in the bottom left is actually just a lens flare... (*cough* JJ *cough*)

There was talk before, it's not going to be Tatooine but a new planet called 'Jakku'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Han has a major role in TFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mickalus wrote: »
    There was talk before, it's not going to be Tatooine but a new planet called 'Jakku'.

One thing that annoys me... Why do another desert planet at all? Why not something more unique? I always thought Tattooine was over used in the movies... They're in a galaxy full of planets and they keep using this dustball... and now they're moving away from it, to another dustball!

Advertisement