Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

.ak wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me... Why do another desert planet at all? Why not something more unique? I always thought Tattooine was over used in the movies... They're in a galaxy full of planets and they keep using this dustball... and now they're moving away from it, to another dustball!

As opposed to an ice planet, or a swamp planet, or a city plant, or an Italian planet, or a water planet, or a forest planet (moon)........... :pac:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they went for a dessert look cause they thought that it would look very "alien" like Mars and they didn't want everything to look too much like Earth. At this stage I'd say they just don't want everything to look cgi so it's easier to get nice tax breaks and head to the dessert for shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

One thing that annoys me... Why do another desert planet at all? Why not something more unique? I always thought Tattooine was over used in the movies... They're in a galaxy full of planets and they keep using this dustball... and now they're moving away from it, to another dustball!

Can you give us an example of a unique planetary environment that hasn't been covered in the films. Desert = Tattoine , Snow= Hoth , Forest = Endor , City = Coruscant , Water = Gungun , Primordial = Mustafar . They have pretty much covered every possible environment in the course of the 6 films.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Clareman wrote: »
    As opposed to an ice planet, or a swamp planet, or a city plant, or an Italian planet, or a water planet, or a forest planet (moon)........... :pac:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they went for a dessert look cause they thought that it would look very "alien" like Mars and they didn't want everything to look too much like Earth. At this stage I'd say they just don't want everything to look cgi so it's easier to get nice tax breaks and head to the dessert for shooting.
    Can you give us an example of a unique planetary environment that hasn't been covered in the films. Desert = Tattoine , Snow= Hoth , Forest = Endor , City = Coruscant , Water = Gungun , Primordial = Mustafar . They have pretty much covered every possible environment in the course of the 6 films.

Ah where's your imagination lads? Eh how about marshmallow world? Or pixel-planet?!

But in all seriousness... It's a sci-fi flick, I think they could've thought of absolutely anything. How about another city world like Nar Shaddaa? That could be made look completely different to Coruscant? Or what about somewhere like Sullust? i.e; something with a different extreme geographical look to it.

Doing another desert thing but on a different planet just seems confusing and cheap to me...

But, it's a tiny point, I'm still going to love it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Ah where's your imagination lads? Eh how about marshmallow world? Or pixel-planet?!

But in all seriousness... It's a sci-fi flick, I think they could've thought of absolutely anything. How about another city world like Nar Shaddaa? That could be made look completely different to Coruscant? Or what about somewhere like Sullust? i.e; something with a different extreme geographical look to it.

Doing another desert thing but on a different planet just seems confusing and cheap to me...

But, it's a tiny point, I'm still going to love it. :D

There's supposed to be more info to come out about the planet Jakku before December.

All the ruins you can see should make it interesting, the scene of the Millennium Falcon flying thru the ruins looks really cool.

Political aspect too to be considered, is it a Hutt run 'Scum and Villainy' type of planet like Tatooine is, or something totally different.

It's also not the only planet in the film, you can see a snow/forest-y planet and a more lush/green mist covered forest-y planet too (could be one and the same...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

What would be really 'novel' would be a moon/planet that isn't defined as having one unvarying physical environment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

so I had a dream about the old star wars reboot and in it Han is dying...
    Han:(to leah) I love
    Leah : I know
    Han: Aggghhh

Mickalus wrote: »
    There's supposed to be more info to come out about the planet Jakku before December.

All the ruins you can see should make it interesting, the scene of the Millennium Falcon flying thru the ruins looks really cool.

Political aspect too to be considered, is it a Hutt run 'Scum and Villainy' type of planet like Tatooine is, or something totally different.

It's also not the only planet in the film, you can see a snow/forest-y planet and a more lush/green mist covered forest-y planet too (could be one and the same...)

All good points. I'm just griping for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

All good points. I'm just griping for the sake of it.

I think we're all just getting a little antsy waiting to see a full trailer.

But we also have to keep in mind that this isn't the only Star Wars movie, Rogue One seems to be going down a completely different path. The concept art they showed at it's announcement looks very different to anything else we've seen, a lot darker. Hopefully they'll still retain it's Star Wars-iness and not go down the bleak Man of Steel path.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

robdonn wrote: »
    I think we're all just getting a little antsy waiting to see a full trailer.

But we also have to keep in mind that this isn't the only Star Wars movie, Rogue One seems to be going down a completely different path. The concept art they showed at it's announcement looks very different to anything else we've seen, a lot darker. Hopefully they'll still retain it's Star Wars-iness and not go down the bleak Man of Steel path.

To be honest I hope it is a bit darker. There isn't a lot out there about it but it seems like it could be a bit more adult.

Of course Disney want to make money so they will no doubt ensure it is a PG.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

bilston wrote: »
    To be honest I hope it is a bit darker. There isn't a lot out there about it but it seems like it could be a bit more adult.

Of course Disney want to make money so they will no doubt ensure it is a PG.

I'm hoping for a PG-13.
    Episode III was PG-13, with all the others being just PG.

Rating won't matter as long as it's not a **** movie! :D

• Advertisement

If the 'darker' Rogue One proves popular then 1313 may get a reboot! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Maybe Tatooine changed its name to Jakku to attract more tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Just a quick rant - I hate when I get a notification to my email that the Star Wars Ep 7 thread has been updated on boards, and then I come flying online only to see a comment such as the above...grr, I'm always hoping it'll be some cool behind the scenes info, or more context to plot or pretty much anything other than the renaming of Tatooine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

empiretfacoverdark_large.jpg

empiretfacoverlight_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

[Possible Spoilers]Following on from the Empire covers, J.J. Abrams discusses Kylo Ren:

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/08/25/star-wars-the-force-awakens-kylo-ren-is-not-a-sith-and-the-first-order-are-basically-nazis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I was really excited about this. I loved the original trilogy growing up. But I rewatched them recently and thought they were actually a bit rubbish :( I forgot how much they go on about the force.

I hope they do make it this one a bit darker and more grown up - aim it more for grown up fans of the originals. I thought JJ Abrams did a great job on Star Trek, so hopefully he can do similarly well for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

blue note wrote: »
    I was really excited about this. I loved the original trilogy growing up. But I rewatched them recently and thought they were actually a bit rubbish :( I forgot how much they go on about the force.

You should be flogged for this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Synode wrote: »
    You should be flogged for this

I'm really sorry! I was so excited every time I saw a new teaser trailer. I loved the originals as a kid and watched them repeatedly. I went to see the star wars one man play when it was in Dundrum and loved it - every line brought back a childhood memory. But then I rewatched the original and was disappointed throughout. I used to even like the ewoks. I struggled not to fast forward all the scenes with them in them.

But fingers crossed the new one will be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jones

I just watched the link with the american dude watching the trailer for the first time...absolutely classic!!!

Really getting excited about this think its time to dust off the blurays and rewatch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jones wrote: »
    Really getting excited about this think its time to dust off the blurays and rewatch them

It's too soon, wait till November :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's some new footage in this instragram post

https://instagram.com/p/65PhxOs_RH/?taken-by=starwars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Which bit is new? Thought we'd seen all that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Synode wrote: »
    Which bit is new? Thought we'd seen all that before?

I don't remember seeing the bit with John Boyega before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Burgo wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing the bit with John Boyega before?

yeah, that thing in his hand... seems like it might be important... i dunno though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Slydice wrote: »
    yeah, that thing in his hand... seems like it might be important... i dunno though :)

What, this?

Nah, don't think that could be important... :p

I thought that bit was VERY new and VERY important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Boyega comes across as a bit of a doofus in his interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

empireswtfabb8_big.jpg

empireswtfafinndesertbts_large.jpg

empireswtfastormtrooperfinnbts_large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Boyega might have a lightsaber but it doesn't mean he is going to be a Jedi ;)

Advertisement