Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I like it once there's no Vader resurrection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

I like it once there's no Vader resurrection

Then you might not like some of the latest theories...

http://youtu.be/EJPVpTXnLSQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Vader in the new movies... whats not to like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I have wondered if a force ghost will appear to Luke in The Force Awakens.

Obi-Wan - not really, unless they want to do a CGI Alec Guinness.

Yoda - Can see this happening, the last one to train Luke and no issues like above.

Anakin - An interesting one. Would be weird seeing a young Hayden Christiansen talking to an older Luke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Vader in the new movies... whats not to like....

If it's Hayden Christensen, then quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hayden is a decent actor to be fair but in the prequels he was given crap to work with.... everyone in it was poor - apart from R2 that dude can do no wrong in my eyes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's funny how Hayden Christensen still gets the worse end of the abuse from critics, yet arguably it was the well-known names who really sank the films, performance-wise: the likes of Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Samuel L Jackson were dreadful - especially Jackson who gave the kind of stale, phoned-in performance even Bruce Willis would think was a bit unprofessional. I guess because by then they were already well-enough known they got an easier ride, as opposed to Christensen the newcomer. Only Ian McDiarmid seemed to bother, but then at least he could chew the scenery with a moustache-twirling villain role.

No actor living or dead could have done anything with the diarrhoea that passed for dialogue in those films; it's also worth noting that Lucas gave absolutely nothing for the cast to work with, direction wise. He just sat in his chair and expected the actors to work it out, so it's no wonder Christensen & co. floundered.

Hayden Christensen was by far one of the few brights spots in the second trilogy, he was given some of the most GOd awful dialogue in the history of cinema and still managed to come out looking rather good, especially when compared to the more seasoned actors such as Jackson. Jackson's performance is amongst the worst ever delivered by a professional actor and he deserve every bit of criticism he got. Much like Jake Lloyd, Christensen got a lot more abuse than he deserved.

If Disney want to resurrect Vader, it will be the suited Vader. What is important here is not the actor under the mask but the actor that provides the voice - James Earl Jones.

He is getting on a bit but no doubt can still deliver. But what will (would) they do when he is no longer around? I can't imagine another actor voicing Vader. It just wouldn't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Red King wrote: »
    He is getting on a bit but no doubt can still deliver. But what will (would) they do when he is no longer around? I can't imagine another actor voicing Vader. It just wouldn't be right.

The voice actor that did if for The Force Unleashed games, did a very convincing job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It has to be a force-ghost thing, & I'm perfectly fine with Christensen appearing. As many have said, the direction & script were so diabolically bad in the preguel trilogy....there wasn't much more he could have done. I'm confident he'll shine a lot brighter this time around, though if it is a force-ghost, then the part itself would likely be quite small/infrequent...

Would prefer a Yoda force ghost.

The Yoda in the prequels was godawful. Nothing like the original trilogy Yoda, he just seemed so cold in comparison.

I hope Yoda appears in this new trilogy so they can redeem the character somewhat, make him likeable again.

Jesus the more I think about what Lucas did with the prequels the more I want to tear my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Myrddin wrote: »
    It has to be a force-ghost thing, & I'm perfectly fine with Christensen appearing. As many have said, the direction & script were so diabolically bad in the preguel trilogy....there wasn't much more he could have done. I'm confident he'll shine a lot brighter this time around, though if it is a force-ghost, then the part itself would likely be quite small/infrequent...

I would agree that if it happens, it'll be Anakin showing up at the age when he ceased to be Anakin. I don't mind it either as I have much more faith in JJ and co delivering better dialogue than Lucas did back in those prequels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I thought Anakin was brilliant in Revenge of the Sith it was one of the best Star Wars Movies for me and I hated the other 2

His performance was hard to judge because the script was so laughably bad. One minute he is worried about the Sith taking over and the next minute he is a Sith himself murdering children.

"I HATE YOU!" - that line always make me laugh, just cringeworthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If Disney want to resurrect Vader, it will be the suited Vader. What is important here is not the actor under the mask but the actor that provides the voice - James Earl Jones.

Tell my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival-in the 'new' empire strikes back clearly wasn't Jones

His performance was hard to judge because the script was so laughably bad. One minute he is worried about the Sith taking over and the next minute he is a Sith himself murdering children.

I think it's a bit much to put it down to JUST the script, or even direction. I've seen Hayden in other films and while he's some what serviceable, he's in no way what one would consider a good actor.

That being said, few people come out of the prequels looking good. But a good actor, which is what that role needed could have, ya know acted around the dialogue. It's been done before.

Besides, dialogue aside, his actual ACTING sucked in those pictures. He couldn't emote to save his life. The scenes between him and Porter are simply terrible, likewise there is just no feeling between him and McGregor either.

That's not the fault of a script, that's the actual acting that's needed there. Acting is more than just reading good lines from a script.

Maybe it did just come down to what McGregor said about performing in front of blue screens, who knows, but Christensen was simply out of his depth in the Star Wars prequels.

Completely agree, and Obi Wan roaring about Democracy too in the same scene. It was as bad as scenes with Jar Jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Tony EH wrote: »

That being said, few people come out of the prequels looking good. But a good actor, which is what that role needed could have, ya know acted around the dialogue. It's been done before.

There are many fine actors in the prequel trilogy. None of them were able to act around the dialogue.

Terence Stamp's utterly bored and flat and completely disinterested "will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations" is a testament to that. It always stands out to me as one of the worst lines of dialogue in Star Wars, and a fine actor like Stamp couldn't make it sound good.

Hayden Christiansen is a decent actor (he's superb in Shattered Glass, for example) but takes the brunt of the blame for the terrible acting in the prequel trilogy - this is because he had the most to do and was the most important character. But every other actor in the PT is terrible as well. Hayden just gets more of the focus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Tell my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival-in the 'new' empire strikes back clearly wasn't Jones
    Pretty sure that is JEJ but taken from outtakes of one of the other films and manipulated to fit the scene. It sticks out in large part because of just how good JEJ's voice performance is in Empire, far superior to the other films. Kershner apparently recorded all of Vader's dialogue himself as a temp track to guide Jones's performance.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    There are many fine actors in the prequel trilogy. None of them were able to act around the dialogue.

Terence Stamp's utterly bored and flat and completely disinterested "will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations" is a testament to that. It always stands out to me as one of the worst lines of dialogue in Star Wars, and a fine actor like Stamp couldn't make it sound good.

Hayden Christiansen is a decent actor (he's superb in Shattered Glass, for example) but takes the brunt of the blame for the terrible acting in the prequel trilogy - this is because he had the most to do and was the most important character. But every other actor in the PT is terrible as well. Hayden just gets more of the focus.

Agreed there are a number of good actors involved and yes, nobody comes out of the prequels looking great, as I said, But Christensen is just unable for the role. Any part of the role.

At least, the likes of Stamp just underplayed and hoped for the best. Others involved like Neeson get away with it because they're just playing themselves.

I actually pity poor Hayden Christensen. He doesn't seem like a bad lad, from some interviews I seen. But he was just dead wrong for the part.

As for 'Shattered Glass' or even 'Jumper', he was good and OK in those roles, but he was certainly not setting the screen alight.

Had to go and google worst lines from the prequels, there is no shortage of results, and not all of them are Jar Jar or Anakin.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Had to go and google worst lines from the prequels, there is no shortage of results, and not all of them are Jar Jar or Anakin.

My favourite line was:

Yoda: "Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice."
    Windu: "But which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"

The timing of it was so off and the repetition by Jackson of what Yoda had said made it seem like the lines had been changed at some point.

robdonn wrote: »

Except there may be more, Dooku for example.
    Or there might be less, ye just killed one after all.

No thought was put into the lines at all, that line from Yoda just sounded cool but overall made little sense.

It's amazing how we can't discuss anything Star Wars without going back to discuss how bad the prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My favourite line was:

Windu: "But which was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?"

The timing of it was so off and the repetition by Jackson of what Yoda had said made it seem like the lines had been changed at some point.

Still makes me laugh, I watch Plinketts Star Wars reviews about once a year.

It's amazing how we can't discuss anything Star Wars without going back to discuss how bad the prequels.

Just wait a few months, we might be able to shift the discussion onto how bad the sequels are. :(

Thargor wrote: »
    Still makes me laugh, I watch Plinketts Star Wars reviews about once a year.

Plinketts Star Wars reviews are part of my Christmas ritual. I watch the original trilogy, then the prequels, then the reviews.

Just wait a few months, we might be able to shift the discussion onto how bad the sequels are. :(

Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still blame those prequel reviews for the cursed rise of the 'nitpick review'. While they're considerably more thorough and analytical than your average 'everything that's wrong with...' horse****, the legacy of those reviews has been unfortunate. Doesn't help that I can't stand Plinkett's delivery :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Completely agree, and Obi Wan roaring about Democracy too in the same scene. It was as bad as scenes with Jar Jar.

I think that scene was brilliant. McGregor in particular was great there.

The first two prequels sucked but 3 was good

Advertisement