Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens [** SPOILERS FROM POST 4472 ONWARD **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I think that scene was brilliant. McGregor in particular was great there.

The first two prequels sucked but 3 was good

It was his best performance of the prequels, but his lines were mostly crap.
    And Haydens lines were even worse.

"From my point of view the Jedi are evil"
    "I HATE YOU"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    "I HATE YOU"

Haha, ill give you those two. McGregor delivered the 'you were said to bring balance to the force' line pretty well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Haha, ill give you those two. McGregor delivered the 'you were said to bring balance to the force' line pretty well though.

All the more so given their environment was something like this, with Lucas in charge to boot

green-screen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I still blame those prequel reviews for the cursed rise of the 'nitpick review'. While they're considerably more thorough and analytical than your average 'everything that's wrong with...' horse****, the legacy of those reviews has been unfortunate. Doesn't help that I can't stand Plinkett's delivery :pac:

They're hilarious is the main thing. Like a couple of others have said I watch them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    It was his best performance of the prequels, but his lines were mostly crap.
    And Haydens lines were even worse.

"I HATE YOU"

Anakin/Darth Vader was pretty dumb really. At this point he knew the Jedi had been tricked by Palpatine and that Palpatine was really Darth Sidious and yet he came to the conclusion that the Jedi were evil. That never made sense, although I suppose Lucas can get out of it by saying the dark side had consumed Anakin etc etc, but still I wish there was more of a story there, something along the lines of the Jedi taking Padme from him or something would have been a bit more understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Red King wrote: »
    His performance was hard to judge because the script was so laughably bad. One minute he is worried about the Sith taking over and the next minute he is a Sith himself murdering children.

"I HATE YOU!" - that line always make me laugh, just cringeworthy.

Similar scene in Wrath of Khan, the doomed Ricardo Montalban uses his last moments to tell Kirk he'll use every last breath to try and kill him. Great stuff that added to both characters.

Why couldn't they have just mimicked that scene in ROTS, with Anakin vowing to Kenobi that he'll not rest till he kills him. Far more powerful and resonating with what we know is to come in 'episode 4'.

BTW Onthe final scene in ROTS, given that Anakin/Vader had tried to kill padre by force choking her, why then the big NOOOOOO! when the Emperor tells him he succeeded.

I like ROTS better than the other sequels, but they really did turn Vader into a wuss !!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Between the cr@ppy CGI of them eating the meal in Episode 2, Jake Lloyd in Episode 1 and the terrible direction once he went to the dark side Christensen didn't have a chance, throw in the whole "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and not being able to walk in the suit and you've a fairly terrible portrayal of an iconic character, it doesn't help that in the prequels he's the central character but in A New Hope he's only on screen for 12 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Anakin slow turn into Vader was greatly shown in a few episodes in The Clone Wars TV series but in the film its just bad really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

This 360-degree video of Jakku is awesome. I love the sound of the speeder (pure Ben Burtt) and BB-8 bleeping at the end. Is it December yet?

https://www.facebook.com/StarWars/videos/1030579940326940/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

was just about to share that vid. pure awesome

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Anakin slow turn into Vader was greatly shown in a few episodes in The Clone Wars TV series but in the film its just bad really bad

Any ideas of the episode numbers? I wouldn't mind watching those

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just seeing Anthony Daniels negative comments about Mark Hamill's 'fading looks', as well as Kenny Baker on the credits as a 'gesture'. He seems to be a thoroughly horrible person full of his own self importance and small enough talent. Pity Chewie put him back together in ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Link?

Something about it here:
    "Poor Mark," Daniels told The Week. "He was a young lovely looking lad when he was first Luke Skywalker and now... well..."

Harrison Ford, on the other hand, "is 72 but he's still got the charm, the charisma," Daniels said. "Harrison was just brilliant, he just made me smile -- I'm smiling at the memory."

Source

It could have been said in jest, we don't know without context really. Is he generally regarded in such negative light?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe his sense of humour rubs some people the wrong way, but this is the first time I've heard anything really bad about him. Kenny's tabloid feud with him is a relatively recent thing, helped by the fact that they probably haven't seen each other in a long time. Kenny was really only involved in TPM, so what Daniels says is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Maybe his sense of humour rubs some people the wrong way, but this is the first time I've heard anything really bad about him. Kenny's tabloid feud with him is a relatively recent thing, helped by the fact that they probably haven't seen each other in a long time. Kenny was really only involved in TPM, so what Daniels says is true.

Have you seen the Justin lee Colins documentary where he brings some of the cast together - Anthony Daniels comes across as a real prick and wouldn't talk to Baker.

He always comes across very camp and theatrical in his interviews. I think he fancies himself as a classic actor. However, he seems genuine and very good with fans and interviewers etc. Although, I could see how some would be rubbed up the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Maybe his sense of humour rubs some people the wrong way, but this is the first time I've heard anything really bad about him.

I've heard it a lot over the years that Daniels is supposed to be a horrible person.

I was very surprised the first time I heard it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I recall seeing an interview with them years ago in which Baker did nothing but bitch about Daniels while Daniels comes across as very professional until the interviewer started making Threepio boner jokes and telling him all the horrible things Baker said about him.

I dunno but I always got the impression that Daniels took his role very seriously, even if he probably has a bit of Alan Rickman in Galaxy Quest-syndrome. Which, in fairness to him, is probably inevitable after spending several decades at conventions conversing with people in Wookie costumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Daniels voice the part of Legolas in The Lord of the Rings, 1978.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Daniels voice the part of Legolas in The Lord of the Rings, 1978.

Yeah but he's still a cvnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ive never hated a character as much as c3po give me jar jar binks anyday over him

Really? I love C3PO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

sky88 wrote: »
    ive never hated a character as much as c3po give me jar jar binks anyday over him

Ok, Daniels may be a grade A wanker, but let's not get silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

... give me jar jar binks anyday over him

Nothing you say ever again can be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Nothing you say ever again can be taken seriously.

The lesser of two evils for me and it has nothing to do with how daniels seems as a person which is horrible. have always hated c3po since i was a kid

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The lesser of two evils for me and it has nothing to do with how daniels seems as a person which is horrible. have always hated c3po since i was a kid

At least C3po isn't a throw back to blackface minstrels though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Ah, I'm only messing. But jaysis, even typing the name Jar Jar induces a gag reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Ah, I'm only messing.

Meesa tinking you sorry now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

what was lucas thinking when he created jar jar binks :confused:

Advertisement