Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding dilema!

• 30-10-2012 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I have been asked to go to a wedding with a guy that I dont know very well. We met on a nite out and so don't know each other very well and I won't knjow anybody at the wedding as it is another end of the country.

I need advice on whether I should accept or not, I like the guy and he seems very nice but I don't know him at all so it could be a long day:confused: also there is the issue of having to share a room with him that nite:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Have you established whether or not you're the bride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

is he good in bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Why would you want to go to a strangers wedding with someone you don't know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Why would you want to go to a strangers wedding with someone you don't know?

Spot on..:cool:

Free food, free drink, excuse to dress up (if you're a girl, excuse to wear a nice pair of heels).

Why not?!

If it's going well with him, happy days and a nice hotel room experience.
    If it's not going well with him, there'll probably be plenty of other guys there, and if all else fails just get really drunk and pass out in a hotel room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Is he saying mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have been asked to go to a wedding with a guy that I dont know very well. We met on a nite out and so don't know each other very well and I won't knjow anybody at the wedding as it is another end of the country.

I need advice on whether I should accept or not, I like the guy and he seems very nice but I don't know him at all so it could be a long day:confused: also there is the issue of having to share a room with him that nite:confused:

Yeah, that would be a NO. It's a bit of a weird situation to be honest, and a bit cheeky to assume you'd share a room - like him or not. Kindly decline, but offer to meet up again if you feel up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

when is the wedding? will he be taking you out again before the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Hey ma, I gots me a gurlfriend.... *quietly* she's got a purdy mouth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Ask him if you can bring your Mammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

go for it.. nothing to lose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

After one night out, "Will you come to a wedding with me?".

Sounds dubious, could be bringing you to a cabin in the woods..... full of hatchets and knives.....

Ah no, I'm sure it'd be alright....... I hope.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

These comments are scaring me!!

Ah to explain more I've met up with him 3 times and he seemed very nice, we met through mutual friends and its them that are telling me that he's a gent a would treat me really well, we've been txting alot so I'd feel I know him fairly well, its more that I feel is it a bit much to go to a wedding together and we'll get plauged with questions on whether we're a couple!!! and I do think the sharing of a room isn't ideal but dosn't mean anything will happed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mmm I'd say go for it on the proviso that he pays for a seperate room for you. It doesn't matter if you want to ride him into next week but at least have a get out clause....he could turn out to be a nightmare and I'd be MASSIVELY put off that he think it is fine to presume that you'll want to share a room with him after three dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

These comments are scaring me!!

Ah to explain more I've met up with him 3 times and he seemed very nice, we met through mutual friends and its them that are telling me that he's a gent a would treat me really well, we've been txting alot so I'd feel I know him fairly well,
    Slightly contradictory to the OP.. but okay..
    its more that I feel is it a bit much to go to a wedding together and we'll get plauged with questions on whether we're a couple!!! and I do think the sharing of a room isn't ideal but dosn't mean anything will happed:D
    Book yourself a single room for the night. Maybe he meant well, but at the same time it's a bit cheeky. If you have that single room to spare, at least you have something to fall back on. You said you don't know anyone else there, are the mutual friends not going? I personally wouldn't feel up to going to an event like that with someone I'd just met though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 energeticxx

No we met through mutual friends, the wedding is of someone that he works with and there'll be about 5 people from work there that he'll know, thats all, thanks for the advice, I'll be going with having my own room if I do go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Enough with all the sensible "do-gooder" advice.
    Yuck !! This is After Hours ....

Show up with a fake pregnant belly and half-way through the wedding scream "I'm having your baby you bastard !!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

You know what they say: 'That going to a wedding is the making of another'
    Go girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...we've been txting alot so I'd feel I know him fairly well...
    Oh well, in that case...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

go for it.. nothing to lose
    I bet he does though.....his virginity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Really?

If you met him and he blew you away it would be a yes.

Otherwise.... no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, he's looking for an excuse to get you drunk and shag you. End of. I'd be very dubious. No-one in their right mind invite someone they've only met to a wedding without an ulterior motive. On second thoughts, he might want to introduce you to the clan to size you up for marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You want the D?

If so, go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

You want the D?

If so, go.

"D" ??

What's a D ? You mean 'P' right, for Pizzaman ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You have to weigh up the costs of going to a wedding like this to see if it is worth while or not.

I would guess you would be lucky to get out of it for under e300 and that dose not include loss of earnings if you had to take the day or even following day off. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Where is the wedding? There are bound to be a few AH'ers that live nearby that you can use as back up people if he turns out to be a psycho...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Lexe

Go! It's a compliment to be asked to a wedding, he's single and didn't have anyone else to ask. Just get yourself a single room, if it's not used what harm but have it there in case! Wedding are always great craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

GO ffs maybe ye'll hit it off, get the second room tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Ara go for it OP - life is short, you'll probably have a great day.

You're more likely to regret the things you didnt do than those you did...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Abi wrote: »
    Book yourself a single room for the night.

This lady is correct.

Book yourself a room as a safety net and sure if he turns out to be Ted Bundy, leg it to your own room and sleep 'till midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bohboh

Best just to have sex with him since you think he is nice at the wedding then you wont have to worry about being afraid of sex ,If you dont like him after you dont have to marry him, just make sure he wears a johnny, wheres the damage like, In fact all Irish women should just have sex all the time, Id love it if women were like men and you wanted sex all the time as much as men do, As a man I think some women find it hard to develop sexually because women dont need an erection for sex which makes it easy for a woman to become uninterested in sex/ bored and just lye back and go through the motions. If the wedding is close by you can just head phone faking illness if it gets too much, I say go, everyone gets nervous before going to these sort of social occasions, Im sure there will be other people there like you who only know their partner & nobody else, Dont overthink it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

bohboh wrote: »
    Best just to have sex with him since you think he is nice at the wedding then you wont have to worry about being afraid of sex ,If you dont like him after you dont have to marry him, just make sure he wears a johnny, wheres the damage like, In fact all Irish women should just have sex all the time, Id love it if women were like men and you wanted sex all the time as much as men do, As a man I think some women find it hard to develop sexually because women dont need an erection for sex which makes it easy for a woman to become uninterested in sex/ bored and just lye back and go through the motions. If the wedding is close by you can just head phone faking illness if it gets too much, I say go, everyone gets nervous before going to these sort of social occasions, Im sure there will be other people there like you who only know their partner & nobody else, Dont overthink it

LOL!!!:D:D:D

It will be all fun and games until the "Grabbing" starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sauve wrote: »
    Ara go for it OP - life is short, you'll probably have a great day.

You're more likely to regret the things you didnt do than those you did...

I've heard this sentiment before and I find it quite odd. I've never set myself on fire. Oddly, I don't regret not doing it.

Speaking for myself, any wedding I've ever been to has been a torturous bore......and that's when I knew the bride and groom. I can't imagine sitting through it when I didn't even know them. However it sounds as if you like him alot OP and are just looking for social approval.

Just go. You obviously want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As a male I can guarantee this thought has crossed his mind.

"After she's see's all the lovey dovey stuff, she would be randy as ****. Im on a sure bet"

Now I ain't gonna hate on a dawg trying to bury his bone, but it is a bit creepy to ask a girl you barely know to a wedding including overnight stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Ah here, I think people are taking this a bit seriously! Is it that big a deal going to a wedding with someone? Ffs go and have a laugh! :D

If you're not ready to sleep with the guy just be upfront about it before you go. Course since things are going well between you and all, you may change your mind after a few drinks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You gotta feel bad for the Guy now, he's probably the nicest guy ever and all the stuff the posters have put in your head now :D

He hasn't a chance of the ride now. Shame on you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's no dilemma, just don't go.
    Don't you have girlfriends you can hash this out with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Is he saying mass?

Is the OP an altar boy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Weddings are the most Godawful load of shíte at the best of times. The fact that this guy that you barely know has asked you to one means he deserves a good slap. The added fact that you don't know the people involved means that you should probably knee him in the balls too. It being an overnighter means you should stick a couple of boots in his face while he's curled up in a ball and finally because he wants to share a room with you he should be set on fire and beaten with shovels.

So in summary polite decline but put all of the above into your eyes when you say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

First things First. I see no reason why the OP shouldn't go. Asked to a wedding by a lad and the first thing that springs to her mind is he's :

1. He's going to ride you within an inch of your life when he gets you drunk.

2. He's not right in the head for asking someone he barely knows to a wedding in the first place.

Where is the wedding demographically? Do you have to stay overnight there?

You say you've been texting him, why not meet up a few more times before the wedding to get to know him a bit better.

I presume you're both adults but the original post sounds like you're at most 16/17.
    I presume you could both stay in the same room in separate beds if needs be. Book a twin room.
    Talk it out with the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

When you tell him about the second room, you won't have the dilemma to worry about:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Any wedding I've ever been to has been godawfully boring. I envisage you stuck at a table trying to make idle chit chat for a few hours with people you don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Merkin wrote: »
    Mmm I'd say go for it on the proviso that he pays for a seperate room for you. It doesn't matter if you want to ride him into next week but at least have a get out clause....he could turn out to be a nightmare and I'd be MASSIVELY put off that he think it is fine to presume that you'll want to share a room with him after three dates

Why should he pay for a separate room? Anyone with any bit of decency would at least offer to pay for half a shared room or for their own room if thats what they prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Weddings are boring its the afters that are great craic. You should just go and enjoy yourself, the guy is obviously a gentleman if you still havnt put out after 3 dates, yet he still asks you out agian :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Kirby wrote: »
    I've heard this sentiment before and I find it quite odd. I've never set myself on fire. Oddly, I don't regret not doing it.

You really don't know what your missing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

It puts the lotion in the basket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lexe wrote: »
    Go! It's a compliment to be asked to a wedding, he's single and didn't have anyone else to ask. Just get yourself a single room, if it's not used what harm but have it there in case! Wedding are always great craic!

I'd say most of the time they are as boring as be fook......until the sectarian sing song starts in the resident's bar about 3am :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

kfallon wrote: »
    I'd say most of the time they are as boring as be fook......until the sectarian sing song starts in the resident's bar about 3am :pac:
    How many hotels have you been kicked out of now for that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement