Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology for a technology illiterate.

Options
  • 30-10-2012 9:58pm

I am looking for some advice. My mother is looking for something to access the internet, but she is a complete novice when it comes to anything like this. Has never even switched on a computer, the most high tech thing she owns is a kindle. She loves her kindle touch, i put the books on it, and then she can manage it. Her eye-sight isn't the greatest so she likes the fact you can enlarge the text.
    So I am wondering what is the easiest way for her to access the internet, what is the best thing for her to buy? (we have wi-fi)
    She wants something she can use while sitting on the couch, and do the very basics, e-mail, shopping and facebook.

So far I can think of:
    iPad you can get an iPad 2 for €300 or the new iPad for €509
    Android Tablet eg the new Nexus 10 or a galaxy tab 2 10.1
    Windows Tablet eg the Surface
    Laptop: any 15" laptop would do really
    Chromebook

I am thinking an iPad 2 but I would love some other peoples' advice and experience. Thanks for any info.

What should my mum get? 11 votes

iPad
    0% 0 votes
    Android tablet
    54% 6 votes
    Windows tablet
    9% 1 vote
    Laptop
    18% 2 votes
    Chromebook
    18% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Reading books on a handheld device is one thing, typing messages or even an URL into a browser address bar is an entirely different matter.

I'd say, get your mother some off-the-rails Core i3 laptop. Still makes for the best experience. Decent screen size, good performance, ease of use (maybe throw in a mouse).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You could set it up with Chrome/Android browser and Sync the bookmarks she would use the most remotely (set up a Chrome profile on your own laptop/PC) to avoid typing addresses in:
    http://www.enmitelefono.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/android-chrome-bookmarks5.jpg

You can even push links with Chrome to phone, or sync files to it using Dropbox or something.

One of the reasons i was edging towards a tablet, was I though a touchscreen would be more intuitive than using a mouse/trackpad.
    The thing as a person familiar to computers, its hard to know what she will find easy. To me its all second nature, while to her, me saying double click, is like a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Kindle fire?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Chromebook is the easiest device in the world to use.

We got one for my step father who calls the internet google and does not know how to do anything only type things in to google and it is working out really well.
    He also manages to make laptops virus ridden and had no issue so far.
    A few people I know got them for parents and are happy with them.
    The ipad is way too complicated for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I have shown many older people the Ipad and they picked it up very easly and quick once their email, broswer and wifi is setup for them
    never get a support call back

Laptop older person can never cant hang of the mouse allways double clicking to many times ,creating unnessary shortcuts on desktop.
    Older person does not know what to do with windows updates ,Adobe flash
    java and virus updates they all get out of date very quick
    plenty of support calls message keep popping on screen.

Android Tablet I find is just not as easy to use as the ipad
    but it is the cheaper option more learning to do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2226223/The-worlds-oldest-iFan-94-year-old-Elsie-Corner-claims-iPad-changed-life-turned-Words-With-Friends-addict.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Old people love Apple stuff in my experience. For people that have never been much into technology Apple stuff seems to be great at breaking them into it. I think it may be how Apple users love talking about their products and enjoy indoctrinating people into their cult and the old people just like having someone to talk too.

Advertisement