Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower cord not working

Options
  • 30-10-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

The shower cord light will not switch on or off, it's off at the moment. What could be the problem and how much would an electrician charge to fix it? Galway city btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Its probably just the light thats gone, and changing the switch will fix it.I assume the shower itself is working.You might even be able to change it yourself .I am after changing about two of them since the house was done in 2002, but not for the light.The switch part burns out from time to time.

After I have a shower, I cant switch mine off.The switch sticks, and to switch it off I have to pull the chord, then hold the part that says off/on and then it will go off.They are not the best switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

lots of reports of faulty shower switches
    yours will need replacing i believe
    some say its best to use the switch as an isolator only and leave it in the on position constantly(like your cooker switch)

search the electrical forum for shower switch and you will get plenty to read;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    lots of reports of faulty shower switches
    yours will need replacing i believe
    some say its best to use the switch as an isolator only and leave it in the on position constantly(like your cooker switch)

search the electrical forum for shower switch and you will get plenty to read;)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Common problem with these switches, the dampness does not help but its usually caused by electricity arcing from one wire to the next due to the wires not being tightened enough when originally fitted.
    I recently replaced mine, it was a good bit cheaper in Woodies than in Homebase, shop around.
    Its an relatively easy diy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Common problem with these switches, the dampness does not help but its usually caused by electricity arcing from one wire to the next due to the wires not being tightened enough when originally fitted.
    I recently replaced mine, it was a good bit cheaper in Woodies than in Homebase, shop around.
    Its an relatively easy diy job.
    cheap switches won't help either

• Advertisement
Advertisement