Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with PC 'hanging'?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all.

My PC/desktop is hanging. It has plenty of memory but tends to stall/hang and then screen blacks out, and comes back on 5 - 10 seconds. Sometimes page on screen just hangs/locks and have to force shutdown to get PC working again.

Something else, but may not be related: the speakers are screeching (low tone) practically all of the time. However, when I move the mouse it stops. Related? Not sure but thing these issues arrived at the same time (weeks ago)

Not much to go on but any ideas? Who/where could I bring this here machine for repair? Midlands area.

Thanks in advance.icon7.png

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

What memory and processor do you have. What operating system are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Start at the bottom with a chkdsk to verify the drive is ok.
    Then move up to the OS and verify system file and drivers are ok.
    Then/or before, run performance checking software/antivirus programs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Download the latest audio driver for your computer from the manufactures website for your model of PC. Or make sure that duplicate audio drivers are not installed. Can cause havoc. Then run Antivirus software for viruses and check your PC for any unwanted programs you may have downloaded by mistake and uninstall them. Sounds like one of those crappy automatic driver updates things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Get a linux livecd (i.e. here ubuntu.com) and test if it works. If it's OK then your current system (windows?) is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mobyfitz20

check for windows update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Just do what Biko says

biko wrote: »
    Start at the bottom with a chkdsk to verify the drive is ok.
    Then move up to the OS and verify system file and drivers are ok.
    Then/or before, run performance checking software/antivirus programs.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

could be dusty processor cooler, CPU just about overheat, same could be on ram or hard drive. make sure there no dust in computer (assume you have desktop , not laptop) , and all coolers working.

Advertisement