Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving ireland.

Options
  • 30-10-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey as my title suggests i am leving ireland to move to holland and was wondering has anyone any advice on what forms i need to fill in when leaving and what i need to do when im over in holland?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I may be completely wrong but if you're just talking about jumping on a plane and going to the Netherlands to work then there isn't really anything at all you need to do. Nothing to fill out in Ireland and no declarations to make once you arrive.
    It's pretty much the same for all European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Make an appointment with Revenue and fill out the forms for rebates etc.
    Rent allowance etc and also if you haven't worked a full tax year you'll be due money back.

Cancel any subscriptions/direct debits before you leave.
    Get the IBAN details of your Irish account + Irish Credit card
    Get your Birth Certificate apostilled by the Department of Foreign affairs (I didn't need this but others have when registering with the city hall)
    If your married do the same with your Marriage Certificate.

If you were renting in Ireland previously, bring letters of recommendation with you from previous landlords, the rental market in the Netherlands is tough and it could make a difference.
    Ponster wrote: »
    I may be completely wrong but if you're just talking about jumping on a plane and going to the Netherlands to work then there isn't really anything at all you need to do. Nothing to fill out in Ireland and no declarations to make once you arrive.

I would say its completely the opposite for the Netherlands, if you do not de-register you will continue to receive City Tax bills and be liable for tax returns as long as you are registered.

I would say its completely the opposite for the Netherlands, if you do not de-register you will continue to receive City Tax bills and be liable for tax returns as long as you are registered.

Isn't that when you leave as opposed to arriving ?

Ah no .. I just meant that this bit:

Isn't the same everywhere else, UK/Ireland you just 'leave' no formal de-registration.

Netherlands/Germany/Belgium you need to de-register otherwise you get bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

In comparison to Britain and Ireland, European countries are a lot more keen on bureaucracy...
    Netherlands/Germany/Belgium you need to de-register otherwise you get bills.

Not to mention that you need to de-register to get the proper back-up to then register somewhere else afterwards - unless moving to the UK or Ireland of course!

• Advertisement

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    In comparison to Britain and Ireland, European countries are a lot more keen on bureaucracy...

Not to mention that you need to de-register to get the proper back-up to then register somewhere else afterwards - unless moving to the UK or Ireland of course!

Not really, if you move
    Netherlands -> Netherlands: De registration is Automatic once you register in your new city.
    In the case of a colleague she moved from Netherlands -> Germany its not automatic, she was still registered in the Hague and getting bills.

Best to ring the City Hall in the city your leaving just to be sure :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In almost ALL European countries you are required to register on arrival and de-register on departure... not alone that but, you are sometimes also required register long staying visitors of more than say 5 nights. this is particularly the case in countries who had a visit from Napoleon!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    In almost ALL European countries you are required to register on arrival and de-register on departure... not alone that but, you are sometimes also required register long staying visitors of more than say 5 nights. this is particularly the case in countries who had a visit from Napoleon!

Hmmm.. I've just spent 15 years living in different European countries and I never 'registered' with any of them. Of course maybe this registration process took place when I got a job and filed my tax returns.
    Registration in Spain, Italy and France is not necessary and in both Italy and France there isn't even a way for Europeans to register themselves if they wanted to (not since 2006).

> you are sometimes also required register long staying visitors of more than say 5 nights.

I really don't think that this applies to any European citizens.

Not really, if you move
    Netherlands -> Netherlands: De registration is Automatic once you register in your new city.
    In the case of a colleague she moved from Netherlands -> Germany its not automatic, she was still registered in the Hague and getting bills.

Best to ring the City Hall in the city your leaving just to be sure :)

Sure there might be differences between the EU states but you'd find in the other two low countries for example that you do need to de-register at the local commune. Same in France too I believe.

Hmmm.. I've just spent 15 years living in different European countries and I never 'registered' with any of them. Of course maybe this registration process took place when I got a job and filed my tax returns.
    Registration in Spain, Italy and France is not necessary and in both Italy and France there isn't even a way for Europeans to register themselves if they wanted to (not since 2006).

> you are sometimes also required register long staying visitors of more than say 5 nights.

I really don't think that this applies to any European citizens.

I don't know how this worked for you but I lived in Belgium and Luxembourg and you most certainly do have to register your address, previous address, place of work, birth certificate and all that stuff. Coming from the UK made it a slightly longer process as I had no paperwork. I remember the procedure in Belgium was that they send a policeman round to your address to see that you actually live there! When I moved between countries I had to de-register. And I would have had to have done so again except that coming to Ireland meant I didn't need to bother.

As for France you would have required to get a carte de sejour (it was the same in Belgium I believe) but a quick look elsewhere tells me this has now been relaxed for certain EU citizens. But surely if you go to any country you have to formally register in person somewhere as how would you get a social security number? Even here in Ireland I had to do this (I'm English btw).

• Advertisement

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Same in France too I believe.

I wasn't debating that point. The OP didn't ask anything about what to do when leaving these countries, just when entering.

I didn't know that you had to register your presence in the Low Countries :)

> As for France you would have required to get a carte de sejour...

Only for people who had work contracts for less than 6 months and even then it shouldn't have been applied to European citizens but the French did it anyway. (I had to get a 6-month one in 1998). The carte de sejour is a 'residence visa' that allows you to live in the country. When the cops stop and ask for papers this is what they want to see. Not having one for an Irish person isn't an issue but then you'd need to go around with your passport for the cops which is less than ideal.

> But surely if you go to any country you have to formally register in person somewhere as how would you get a social security number? Even here in Ireland I had to do this.

Ahh, When I worked in France and Spain this process just happened (the companies that I worked for told me what I needed and provided the paperwork to fill in). Some of the paperwork had to come from the companies and I couldn't just fill it in in advance.

Ahh, When I worked in France and Spain this process just happened (the companies that I worked for told me what I needed and provided the paperwork to fill in). Some of the paperwork had to come from the companies and I couldn't just fill it in in advance.

Perhaps you were in a position you could work around it. I had an English friend for example who worked for several years in Munich and I got the impression that his company took care of everything for him. He never had to bother personally dealing with the German authorities. But my own personal experience and the general impression I've got is that there is a lot more red tape in Europe; and it's certainly worth anyone's while looking into what are the correct documents to have and procedures to follow. By contrast now that I've registered in Ireland I never expect to have to see the inside of an Irish government building again...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Registration is required in all the countries you mention - in fact the UK, Ireland and Portugal are the only ones that do not have such a requirement, as far as I can see.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Registration is required in all the countries you mention - in fact the UK, Ireland and Portugal are the only ones that do not have such a requirement, as far as I can see.

Can you explain what you mean by registration? I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I'm basing my beliefs on having lived and worked (in 2 of the countries) since 1998. The only think you have to do is 'register' to get a Social Security Number (and even that is optional depending on your job). I have self-employed friends who as far as France are concerned don't exist. They don't pay taxes in France, don't vote and don't use the French health care system.
    All this is perfectly legal but if you are not European you 'must' declare your presence by applying for residency.

Can you explain what you mean by registration? I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

I'm basing my beliefs on having lived and worked (in 2 of the countries) since 1998. The only think you have to do is 'register' to get a Social Security Number (and even that is optional depending on your job). I have self-employed friends who as far as France are concerned don't exist. They don't pay taxes in France, don't vote and don't use the French health care system.
    All this is perfectly legal but if you are not European you 'must' declare your presence by applying for residency.

Well in the Netherlands 'Registration' Generally means registering with the local Gemeente (City Hall)

Your Social Security Number or BSN (Burger Service Nummer) you get that when you register with the Belastingdienst, however you get that anyway even if you don't live in the Netherlands but work here.

E.G. I'm 'Registered' in Germany with the Tax Authorities because I work there, but I'm not registered with the Landhauptstadt (City Hall) because I don't live there.

Not registering with the City hall is grand, but is a pain in the ar$e at some point since you can't get parking permit, or it can affect your pension, or tax liability (to name a few things)

Some people never have to register in Germany, e.g. Self employed cross border workers that work in Germany for less than 158 days per year for a non German Umbrella Company.

Other things also, like its impossible to transfer ownership of a Dutch Registered Car to a person that isn't registered with the local city hall.

Some expats I know didn't register for a few years and then eventually did because of one of the above reasons, then they received a notification from the CVZ that they were legally required to have health insurance. When they applied for Health Insurance they got a bill for all the previous years they hadn't registered.

So in short, yes you can get by without registering and in some places you rent its possible that the landlord will rent to you on the basis that you don't register (because on his taxes he's claiming that he lives there and is claiming a mortgage rebate) but its in your best interest really.

From personal experience I know its required in The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria,Switzerland, Finland and Italy.

Not sure about other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ad83

hey as my title suggests i am leving ireland to move to holland and was wondering has anyone any advice on what forms i need to fill in when leaving and what i need to do when im over in holland?

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/living/Expatcenter

If you are going to Amsterdam make an appointment with the expat centre.

Makes things very simple

Best of luck

ad83 wrote: »
    http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/living/Expatcenter

If you are going to Amsterdam make an appointment with the expat centre.

Makes things very simple

Best of luck

Expat Center is a mirror of the Expat desk in the Hague, i.e. an absolute waste of time for EU Citizens.

You'll basically get a bag full crap (Brochures, some vouchers and some postcards)

E.G.

This:
    http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/living/Expatcenter/expatcenter-services/the-expatcenter-procedure

Only bit that Applies to EU Citizens:
    All EU citizens who have a work contract with a company that is part of the IND’s highly skilled migrant ruling can visit the Expatcenter for their municipal registration. The Expatcenter also provides vignettes (verklaring van inschrijving voor burgers van de unie), if needed, for EU citizens.

That bit you can do at the City Hall.
    BSN number in 3 days

As an additional service for employers, the Expatcenter can provide the employee’s new BSN number by email three days after the initial appointment. To request this service, please email the Expatcenter.

Make an appointment yourself at the Belastingdienst and you have your BSN in around 10 minutes.

All of this:

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/living/Expatcenter/expatcenter-services/application-for-the-expatcenter-highly-skilled-migrants

Applies to people who have to deal with the Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst (non EU Citizens)

And this bit:

http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/living/Expatcenter/expatcenter-services/the-30-ruling-via-the-expatcenter
    Please note that this does not apply to EU-citizens. EU-citizens are to send their applications to the tax department directly.

IMO the whole thing is a layer of crap that sits on stop of the standard processes that work just fine for non Dutch speakers already.

Just do the same as all the Natives and you'll be better off (Believe me)

Or just go .. but don't be expecting great things :)

Advertisement