Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers or Abattoir for fillet steak in Dublin

Options
  • 30-10-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Does anyone know anyone Butchers or Abattoir in Dublin that sell full steaks direct to the consumer?
    I was in Aldi the weekend and there were 2 pieces of fillet steaks for 13 euro, that was supposed to be a good deal
    In Waterford there are plenty of places to buy 2-3kg of Fillet beef for about 30 euro, fillets for the month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

JR1210 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anyone Butchers or Abattoir in Dublin that sell full steaks direct to the consumer?
    I was in Aldi the weekend and there were 2 pieces of fillet steaks for 13 euro, that was supposed to be a good deal
    In Waterford there are plenty of places to buy 2-3kg of Fillet beef for about 30 euro, fillets for the month

Wholesale decent filet will cost €15-€18 per kilo.

Dont know how they sell them in waterford for €10 kilo per kilo?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought it sounded far too cheap too. OP, are you sure the animal it came from said 'moo' and not 'neigh' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If "plenty" of places had it for €10 per kilo you would definitely have heard about it in the bargain alerts forum by now. I have never heard of steak anywhere near that cheap.

There has to be some mixup here, either incorrect terminology of what fillet steak is, or a mixup of kilos & lbs or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

The last time I was in Waterford I bought 2kg of fillet for 35 euro in Westside Business Park, Old Kilmeaden Road (not sure the name of the place). It is a wholesale supplier. You can buy large chicken fillets by the box (25) and top class mince meat for 2.50 a pack, everything is vacuum packed
    Previous to this I bought a much bigger steak from Dawn Meats, it must have been 3kg and worked out cheaper than the whole seller
    There is another slaughter house out the kilmeaden road and heard you can get the same there

So the question is does anyone know of whole sellers in Dublin open to the public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Not sure about the price but the finest fillet steak you will come accross is M and K meats in greenogue industrial estate, they are wholesalers but sell to the public. They supply L'ecrivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Had steak in L'ecrivain last night, certainly can't complain about the quality of meat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Bateman wrote: »
    Had steak in L'ecrivain last night, certainly can't complain about the quality of meat

Tis fine for ya:), only I'd never order steak in a place like that.

I'd be very suspicious of any fillet of beef that cost a tenner a kilo to be honest, couldn't be from a decent animal anyway, going on that rationale your striploin/ribeye would be about the same price as cheap sausages, there has to be some mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ivorsflutter

It's not Dublin but you could try Keelaghan meats in Ashbourne, they sell to the public at close to wholesale prices from their factory. I paid €4.50/kg for shin beef and €2.50kg for mince. The lg chicken fillets are €1 and are 180g-210g from what I remember, far cheaper than any retail butcher.

I went to that place in Ashbourne, it aint cheap they where looking 33 euro for a KG of fillet and so I just bought chicken fillets but they where small
    Yesterday I was down in Waterford and got the steak, 2.5KG for 35 euro. Bought loads of meat from them. Bought Chicken fillets (large) 10 for 10 euro. Minced Beef and the Fillet steak
    Some value and the fillet steaks are top class. Its Irish beef so the same as most butchers, only you can cut them how big you want. so I cut a few Argentinean sized ones, love it :)

Philip Egan Wholesale Meats - Westside Business Park, Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

I went to that place in Ashbourne, it aint cheap they where looking 33 euro for a KG of fillet and so I just bought chicken fillets but they where small
    Yesterday I was down in Waterford and got the steak, 2.5KG for 35 euro. Bought loads of meat from them. Bought Chicken fillets (large) 10 for 10 euro. Minced Beef and the Fillet steak
    Some value and the fillet steaks are top class. Its Irish beef so the same as most butchers, only you can cut them how big you want. so I cut a few Argentinean sized ones, love it :)

Reality is the chicken your buying is either Brazilian or Thai which has been processed in Holland where they pump it with 10-12% water & additives. Just look at the signage ... chicken fillets ... no Irish or Ireland in site.
    Cappoquin chicken in your home county are as good as out of business because people like yourself can't see past price.
    You are what you eat & quality is what your body needs not quantity.
    You choose fillets of beef and chicken...on beef that represents 1% of the weight of the animal. What about the other 99% ?? Chump sirloin properly cooked has twice the flavour of fillet anyday, while having a nice texture too.
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs are juicy and moist, great for stir fries & always are fresh and IRISH wherever you buy them.

Think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

TBoneMan wrote: »

Reality is the chicken your buying is either Brazilian or Thai which has been processed in Holland where they pump it with 10-12% water & additives. Just look at the signage ... chicken fillets ... no Irish or Ireland in site.
    Cappoquin chicken in your home county are as good as out of business because people like yourself can't see past price.
    You choose fillets of beef and chicken...on beef that represents 1% of the weight of the animal. What about the other 99% ?? Chump sirloin properly cooked has twice the flavour of fillet anyday, while having a nice texture too.
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs are juicy and moist, great for stir fries & always are fresh and IRISH wherever you buy them.

Think about it...
    Being all superior and arsey only annoys people rather than bringing them on side. Doesn't help the cause although lots of what you say makes sense.

I also prefer other cuts to fillet but if somebody wants fillet steak, then that's what they want. It seem that you are suggesting that the fillet steak should be a waste product. All the animal should be used and that includes the 'prime' cuts. I for one am very glad that there are so many people who will only eat chicken breast or fillet steak - it makes the cuts I want cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can you tell me how to get to PE Wholesale meats in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

Being all superior and arsey only annoys people rather than bringing them on side. Doesn't help the cause although lots of what you say makes sense.

I also prefer other cuts to fillet but if somebody wants fillet steak, then that's what they want. It seem that you are suggesting that the fillet steak should be a waste product. All the animal should be used and that includes the 'prime' cuts. I for one am very glad that there are so many people who will only eat chicken breast or fillet steak - it makes the cuts I want cheaper!

Please highlight for me where I said fillet steak was a waste product...I eat nose to tail on all animals, it's the only way. But the fact is most people will only want the leanest choosest cuts.

That's their loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Having just bought a sous-vide vacuum sealer and a sous-vide supreme waterbath, it is not the quality of the beef but how delicately you cook it.

90 minutes at 56.5 centigrade turns the cheapest round steak into filet mignon. You can try it with a beer cooler and ziplock bags if you want try before you buy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFTyb5QEb2E

Not a cheap piece of kit, but I see why most restaurants are moving this direction.

Interesting. As it happens, I had an really good steak recently in a steak restaurant in Copenhagen, and as I was walking in I caught a glimpse into the kitchen and saw a big tray of steaks all individually vacuum packed sitting there. The steak I had was a big thick sirloin, 400g and about an inch thick, but cooked to perfection throughout, and now I'm wondering whether they prepared their steaks that way.

How long would it take to cook a steak of that size like that, or would they possibly pre-cook them?

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting. As it happens, I had an really good steak recently in a steak restaurant in Copenhagen, and as I was walking in I caught a glimpse into the kitchen and saw a big tray of steaks all individually vacuum packed sitting there. The steak I had was a big thick sirloin, 400g and about an inch thick, but cooked to perfection throughout, and now I'm wondering whether they prepared their steaks that way.

How long would it take to cook a steak of that size like that, or would they possibly pre-cook them?

They almost certainly do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide.

Cooking times range from 90 minutes to 48 hours, depending on toughness of the cut. I just made beef fajitas with flank steak cooked for 24 hours and it was butter tender even though the meat was supermarket boot leather.

You can cook the meat, quick chill it in an ice-bath, pop it in the fridge for up to two-three days or freeze it. As it is vacuum packed it will stay moist.

Reheating just means bring the bath up to 40 or so degrees for 20 mins then sear or blowtorch. I bought a very powerful professional plumbing blowtorch to sear steaks, you would be there all day with a culinary blowtorch.

Cooking temps for beef run rare 49C, medium rare 56.5C, well done 60C.

Chicken and fish are amazing in it, although my wife dislikes oilier fish in like salmon as she says it cooks "too fishy"

I also cook veggies in it and the infusion of herbs into veggies is amazing, carrots are perfectly al dente all through and bursting with flavour.

I also find (as a very messy cook) that it is a much cleaner and relaxed way of cooking. It is more or less impossible to overcook a protein unless you forget about it for 8 hours.

Buy one! Or at least try the ziplock/beer cooler approach.

MadsL wrote: »
    Buy one! Or at least try the ziplock/beer cooler approach.
    I like the look of it but they're stupidly expensive for what they are, which is just a thermostatically controlled water heater. Also, I'm slowly running out of counter space for gadgets such as that what with a bread machine and a newly arrived bean-to-cup espresso machine!

I already have a thing for extracting air out of bags for freezing, so I guess that would probably do. I don't suppose a slow cooker would provide sufficient heat to get up to the temperatures required would it?

Alun wrote: »
    I like the look of it but they're stupidly expensive for what they are, which is just a thermostatically controlled water heater. Also, I'm slowly running out of counter space for gadgets such as that what with a bread machine and a newly arrived bean-to-cup espresso machine!

I already have a thing for extracting air out of bags for freezing, so I guess that would probably do. I don't suppose a slow cooker would provide sufficient heat to get up to the temperatures required would it?

You can rig a thermostat to switch the slow cooker to turn on and off.
    Google for a sous-vide slow cooker DIY

The very pro polyscience circulator has just been bought out in a domestic model for $499 if you already have a sealer. It takes up no space unless you are cooking.
    http://www.abt.com/product/65711/PolyScience-CRC5AC1B.html

I would have bought that but didn't want to spend the extra for a sealer.

If you are ok with putting together electronic componants. Here's a self-build.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/
    http://www.amazon.com/sous-vide-on-the-cheap/lm/R2HZFC5QFYMDKI

and finally a cheap version of the sous-vide supreme.
    http://www.aquachef.com/

What would one need to go about the beer-cooler approach?

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote: »
    What would one need to go about the beer-cooler approach?
    There's a video that MadsL linked to in one of his posts above.

cheers

TBoneMan wrote: »

Think about it...

The reality is the chicken that Im eating is Irish... Its an Irish wholesale business supplying Irish meat. I can find out the name of the provider next time Im there if your so concerned about my eating

I dont live on fillet steak and chicken, that is not the point to this thread. This thread was created to find out if there was anywhere in Dublin you could get good deals on wholesale meat

There are plenty of places in Waterford to buy quality meat at the right price, it seems in Dublin it is a lot more expensive. In Kilmeaden you can buy black Angus sirloin for 17 euro a Kg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

The reality is the chicken that Im eating is Irish... Its an Irish wholesale business supplying Irish meat. I can find out the name of the provider next time Im there if your so concerned about my eating

I dont live on fillet steak and chicken, that is not the point to this thread. This thread was created to find out if there was anywhere in Dublin you could get good deals on wholesale meat

There are plenty of places in Waterford to buy quality meat at the right price, it seems in Dublin it is a lot more expensive. In Kilmeaden you can buy black Angus sirloin for 17 euro a Kg

Without wishing to get involved too much here I have to say that I would be surprised if you could get 10 large Irish chicken fillets for a tenner, generally speaking when it's that cheap it will be from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Without wishing to get involved too much here I have to say that I would be surprised if you could get 10 large Irish chicken fillets for a tenner, generally speaking when it's that cheap it will be from elsewhere.

Agreed, at those prices I doubt it's Irish produce, or someone's being screwed, the farmer, the animal husbandry... etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

FX Buckleys factory shop in Rathcoole sell full fillet steaks. I was buying pork, but I'm almost 100% the fillets were 28 euro.
    Contact details here http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/380347818954752 - you could ring them and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ivorsflutter

Have to say I was back in keelaghan meats for the first time in ages during the week, didnt seem to have the value that was there before or maybe I just assumed it was better value. Chicken fillets were all EEC ( Dutch) but assume they have Thai passports. I didnt even notice this last time when I bought them, butcher reckoned no one would buy the irish fillets because of the price. They did have Irish supremes but these were 1.50 a fillet and a little small.

Have to say I feel a little bit pissed with myself that I bought the thai fillets, I didnt when cooking notice any difference in taste or texture although I wouldnt eat chicken fillets that often.

Ended up buying a bit of pork shoulder and shin beef which for me are 2 of the best cuts and cheapest from any beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You can pick up fillets for €30/40 but they will not be Irish. Now there is nothing wrong with this beef but at the same time the wholesalers / Butcher should make the customer aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Have to say I was back in keelaghan meats for the first time in ages during the week, didnt seem to have the value that was there before or maybe I just assumed it was better value. Chicken fillets were all EEC ( Dutch) but assume they have Thai passports. I didnt even notice this last time when I bought them, butcher reckoned no one would buy the irish fillets because of the price. They did have Irish supremes but these were 1.50 a fillet and a little small.

Have to say I feel a little bit pissed with myself that I bought the thai fillets, I didnt when cooking notice any difference in taste or texture although I wouldnt eat chicken fillets that often.

Ended up buying a bit of pork shoulder and shin beef which for me are 2 of the best cuts and cheapest from any beast.

The chicken was always dutch and that goes for all these wholesalers. Irish chicken fillets were so expensive a lot of restaurants avoid buying Irish.

Depending on the size a dutch fillet would cost the wholesaler .50/.60 cent the Irish fillets are double that price. Yet most shops sell 4 for 5 or 10 for 10 etc... doesn't add up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement