Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrican job advice

Options
  • 30-10-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hey All,
    My brother has recently moved to Australia (Perth). He has been there a short period but is struggling to find work. He is a qualified electrician back home and has held a variety of technical jobs in medical devices assembly, PLC installation and commissioning etc. Would anybody have recommendation on how to go about getting work particularly in his trade? He would like to work in the mines but would do anything to at least get on his feet. Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Unfortunately I have seen a few electrification come to Perth and leave because they couldnt get a job as an electrician.

Firstly its persistence and some good luck to get a well paid trades job in Perth. Its not the trade/digger driver/labourer job mecca everyone in Ireland seems to think it is.

I'd suggest he stick an ad on gumtree and take what he can find for the moment. Get money coming in. Then at every opportunity canvas other people for the job he wants.

The guys I have seen get the good jobs are the ones who put themselves in the position to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cc181187

choice one recruitment its on georges terrace or hays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Hey All,
    My brother has recently moved to Australia (Perth). He has been there a short period but is struggling to find work. He is a qualified electrician back home and has held a variety of technical jobs in medical devices assembly, PLC installation and commissioning etc. Would anybody have recommendation on how to go about getting work particularly in his trade? He would like to work in the mines but would do anything to at least get on his feet. Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Darren

Does he have a full A electrical license?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

el diablo wrote: »
    Does he have a full A electrical license?

No, he has his full trade from FAS. I believe he said he cannot get the qualification in WA for another six months. Is this typically the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    No, he has his full trade from FAS. I believe he said he cannot get the qualification in WA for another six months. Is this typically the case?

Is he on a WHV or did he get residency? If he got residency then he would've got his trades accessed before he arrived in Australia.

He will need to do gap training and work under supervision before he can gain a full electrical license.
    Apparently Perth is flooded with overseas electricians in a similar position to him though. A lot of employers are reluctant to take on electricians with a "provisional" license.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Is he on a WHV or did he get residency? If he got residency then he would've got his trades accessed before he arrived in Australia.

He will need to do gap training and work under supervision before he can gain a full electrical license.
    Apparently Perth is flooded with overseas electricians in a similar position to him though. A lot of employers are reluctant to take on electricians with a "provisional" license.

He is on WHV, so he does not have his skills assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

He needs to get his A-Class ASAP otherwise he should be looking for Trade Assistant positions with electrical contractors until he gets his WA license.

How does he do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

Just call up a load of contractors and explain that he's a fully qualified electrician who's in the process of applying for his WA license (Id lie about this if he hasnt the gas to do it yet!) and he'd be looking for a TA position to keep him ticking over. This way he gets a bit of experience with an Australian contractor that he can put down on his CV when his license eventually comes through and he's applying for a Electrician's position. The same company may even just bump his pay! This is what a few guys did in a company I was with in Adelaide last year. Money will be worse than he may be expecting but better than a lot of alternatives :) Like Sundy said though, Perth isnt the job paradise some people in Ireland think it is.

Hey Lads,
    Just to follow up. He applied for his license a couple of days ago and based on that got a job sparking.
    Thanks for your help,
    Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Theres a group on facebook Irish Familys in Perth, I have seen a few posts on it looking for sparkies, they may want the A licence though.

Advertisement