Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will i bring with me.

Options
  • 31-10-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi, my 3yr old son is getting his tonsills and adenoids out this week. i was given guideline as to what to do etc. but is there anything any parents out there who have done this can recommend i bring. little tips etc. I am really nervous about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

A good book, travel pillow, maybe a fleece blanket or something from home, for yourself while sitting on the chairs waiting for him. Several pair pjs for him, fav teddy/night time book or a few toys that he just play with on the bed. Things that make you both comfortable and calm in the hospital. MP3 player (with access to radio)/tablet/laptop (with portable internet connection if possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

a) Slippers , for yourself and the little one , the wards are always so hot you will need to remove your shoes
    b) His fav toy ( teddy or whatever ) , essential !
    c) Books for him and you .
    d) Light clothing for yourself , a change of clothing may be worth while . Toiletries for yourself , you will need to freshen up.

The chairs in hospital are special , they are designed to be as uncomfortable as possible and carefully designed to ensure maximum pain if you are sitting in them for more than 10 mins , so as MrTsSnickers says , a travel pillow or something like that .

Finally , remember to adjust your watch to hospital time , when they say 10 mins they mean 2-3 hours , the Dr will be around in a min translates to 3 hours maybe .

The staff are nearly always wonderful and welcoming ( I only have experience at TS ).

Do you have anyone who can come in to give you breaks ? If your little one is asleep , talk to the staff and take a break yourself , get out when you can to get fresh air and a break from the ward .

Good luck , you will be fine , I hope your son recovers quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Thanks guys. i was under the impression that they'd give me a mammy bed rather than a chair. maybe i should bring my camp bed lol! i will take all that stuff with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

What hospital are you going to?

My son was in Tullamore getting his adenoids removed nearly 2 years ago. Staff were brilliant and each bed had its own TV so the kids could watch what they wanted. Also a big play room at the end of the wards were they could play if they felt up to it.

I had to sleep on a chair that converted to a single bed. It wasnt the best nights sleep I ever had but I was glad of it!!

The kids are looked after great and the nurses ordered pizza for them.
    The only thing is you will have to sort out food for yourself. The meals are obviously only for the kids in the wards and the hospital cafe closes early. Be prepared, bring food or have someone come up later with something for you.

Other than that relax and dont stress, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

coolabula wrote: »
    The only thing is you will have to sort out food for yourself. The meals are obviously only for the kids in the wards and the hospital cafe closes early. Be prepared, bring food or have someone come up later with something for you.

That's a really important point actually .

Have plenty of water ready , and don't neglect yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement