Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 and never been abroad

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Whenever I leave the country I'm counting down the minutes until I get to come home. I hate leaving the country, everywhere else is a dive compared to South Dublin. Real South Dublin, not west Dublin tag alongs likes Tallaght, Clondalkin etc.

Lol... really. Please tell me you are trolling! Dublin is a sh1t hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

FearDark wrote: »

Lol... really. Please tell me you are trolling! Dublin is a sh1t hole.

I love Dublin. Not for everyone of course but I have to say I think its a beautiful city and I don't think i could ever leave it.

I've been all over the world, but I've never experienced the same feeling as when I walk around Dublin city. And no, its not fear :P

mauzo wrote: »
    I love Dublin. Not for everyone of course but I have to say I think its a beautiful city and I don't think i could ever leave it.

I've been all over the world, but I've never experienced the same feeling as when I walk around Dublin city. And no, its not fear :P

His quote was "everywhere else is a dive compared to south Dublin"

Thats even embarrassing to read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Yeah ok I'll give you that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

From the rural people of Rathmichael to the City dwellers of D4, from the riff raff of Sallynoggin to the whores by the shore of Dalkey. God bless our great nation. God bless ths Real Southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I havnt been outside Tipperary Town in 6 years alone.

Ah come on now, you mush have gone to Croke Park a few times in the last 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I've never been abroad either but I did wear a dress once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

No need to go abroad now with google maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

My grandfather is 84 next week,He has never left this country.Never even been to the uk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

i've been abroad a couple of times, it's ok I guess. I loved London but Paris and Brussels sucked. My favourite holidays I ever went on were to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

phasers wrote: »
    i've been abroad a couple of times, it's ok I guess. I loved London but Paris and Brussels sucked. My favourite holidays I ever went on were to Cork.

In fairness, if you keep comparing everything to Cork you'll be disappointed a lot. Paris is OK to be fair, the Eiffel Tower's grand. But I see your point: nothing beats the Butter Museum and the Shandon Bells and some Lennox's afterwards. And that's before you even get to Mahon Point.

I havnt been outside Tipperary Town in 6 years alone.

Isn't Tipperary town one or two streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

When I was young we always holidayed in Ireland, my parents couldn't afford to bring all 4 kids to a foreign country. I haven't went on holiday since my youth.

I would love to visit Portugal, something fascinates me about that country.

Then just book a flight and go for it. I was there last month and it is indeed a great place. I toured around the wine valleys between staying at different quintos (was grape picking time), visited the port wine fest and chilled out in their national park in the north. People are friendly and it's generally cheap over all.

In 10 years it most likely won't be as easy if you have a young family, so make best use of the time you now have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wander around the local Polski Sklep for two hours and pretend I'm on holiday in Krakow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Go to Sweden, the women alone are worth it

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Isn't Tipperary town one or two streets?

Ah now. It's about five to be fair.

Five awesome streets.

*may be joking and in actual fact living it up in New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

says somebody who hasn't left Tipp town in 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

token101 wrote: »
    In fairness, if you keep comparing everything to Cork you'll be disappointed a lot. Paris is OK to be fair, the Eiffel Tower's grand. But I see your point: nothing beats the Butter Museum and the Shandon Bells and some Lennox's afterwards. And that's before you even get to Mahon Point.

Well, it's possible he/she enjoyed the holidays in Cork more because of other factors - the company kept etc.

And it's to see how one of the "big" destinations can be a let down when you actually visit - we hear SO much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Oscarwells

Oh get on a plane to anywhere and have a ball!! the world is your oyster!!:)

Whenever I leave the country I'm counting down the minutes until I get to come home. I hate leaving the country, everywhere else is a dive compared to South Dublin. Real South Dublin, not west Dublin tag alongs likes Tallaght, Clondalkin etc.

I have no interest in going to "Oz" to hang around with a load of drunk gaa fans, nor to New York to shout loudly at overweight people, I don't want to go to Thailand to get coaxed into appearing on Banged Up Abroad and I certainly don't want to go to the foothills of Tibet where they've got no broadband.

So no, I shan't "broaden my horizons" or narrow them in my opinion. My view is clear. I will stick right here thank you. A place where the people of these **** holes can only dream about.

I thought you lived on an estate in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Dunno about anyone else, but I took FearDark's original post with a sizeable pinch of salt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Not even to the UK. Is that weird?

Just get a cheap ryanair flight to somewhere unsuaul, they used to fly to Zadar in coratia, if they still do, go there or somewhere similar, you will enjoy it and see something totally different to Ireland.

Dont bother with the major european cities, they tend to be expensive and ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

iDave wrote: »
    Go to Sweden, the women alone are worth it

Sweden is nice, but jesus it's ****ing insanely expensive.

Bagel and a coffee there please sir.

here ya go, that will be €11, your left testicle and your first born son, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think in these days of budget airlines we forget that foreign holidays were expensive only a few years ago. My parents could never afford to take us abroad when I was growing up however pretty much as soon as I was earning/got a credit card I took myself abroad to Italy and then to the US.

I don't necessarily buy this stuff about travelling broadening the mind. I think it's more simple than that. There's some great places to go and see and experience for a few days just a short plane trip away. You've got two of the World's great cities (London & Paris) just a short plane journey away, for starters. Amsterdam, Rome, Madrid, Munich (a personal favourite of mine), Stockholm, Edinburgh, Barcelona, Monaco and so many other places are all easily within reach. Some of them I've not been to but I'm sure I will at some point.

Plus you've got to go abroad to get to Las Vegas :)

"I've been to paradise but I've never been to me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Have you tried the picturesque village of Kilmuckridge?

I grew up in a small village somewhere in Connemara. There were friends of mine where the furthest they got was in to Galway city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

9959 wrote: »
    Have you tried the picturesque village of Kilmuckridge?

LOL. I went to the "Crazy Night Out" there back in 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Back in the 70s when I was growing up going abroad was quite rare. One time the teacher asked my sister's class had anyone been abroad and no one had so she stuck up her hand and said "yes, Achill Island". Oh the shame :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not even to the UK. Is that weird?

Never been up North? Never been on the ferry to Wales? Never been to London? Never been on a plane or a boat to anywhere?

Not weird at all, but I do think its time 4u to travel, even just across the water for starters, and then a bit further. I seem to remember having a two week holiday in the Canaries with some mates when I was about 23, always camping in Wales with the family as a kid too. Once you start to travel you will probably get the bug which is a good thing, as it will broaden your mind & give you many happy memories for life - travel is good :))

PS: I had an uncle (now dead) who never left this island, and he was fine!

• Advertisement

I've been to me but I've never been to paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Charlene 1982 if memory serves me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Read post #67 really carefully and you'll see it was a joke

MarkMc wrote: »
    Read post #67 really carefully and you'll see it was a joke

See the thanks on post 72 and you will see that I know. However my post 63 was posted at around the same time as his mea culpa.

It wasn't much of a joke. It was a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Gauss wrote: »
    No need to go abroad now with google maps.

No choice now, I've updated to Apple Maps :o

It wasn't much of a joke. It was a lie.

Who pissed on your cornflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I like living in Ireland but I would crack up if I didn't have a couple of guaranteed weeks of sunshine every year. I don't like package holidays but they suit some people. Over the years I've developed a fondness for doing my own thing when booking holidays (having said that, driving from Madrid to Murcia because it would be an 'adventure' won't be repeated. I don't care how cheap the flights are).

I don't like very long flights but I love going to new places places. Europe has some lovely cities and I've enjoyed visiting them. The flights are mostly quite short so Ryanair are fine to travel with.
    OP, if you feel like you want to go somewhere then just take the plunge and book something! I'm going to Disneyland Paris in 2 weeks time :D Third time abroad this year. Would really love to go to Munich for Oktoberfest next year so I think that will be next on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

CianRyan wrote: »
    I've been on every landmass except for Antarctica, this bothers me.

Damn, I've never left Afroeurasia. I'm so common.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

OneArt wrote: »
    Damn, I've never left Afroeurasia. I'm so common.:(

Not sure if this is meant to be an insult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not sure if this is meant to be an insult?

No, I was just showing off that I could spell Afroeurasia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

When I was young we always holidayed in Ireland, my parents couldn't afford to bring all 4 kids to a foreign country. I haven't went on holiday since my youth.

Dublin Faro - Fri 07 Dec
    Faro Dublin - MOn Dec 10

total 75 euro.

*Blablabla Hostel
    Blablabla is actual name of this hostel - 10 euro per night x 3 = 30 euro

total 105 euro + food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I could never stay in a hostel. Do you have to share a bathroom with strangers? Nasty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dunno about the rest of Portugal but we spent a long weekend in Lisbon and had a ball, great craic for the nightlife, great restaurants - especially with the fado singing and lovely Sintra just 40 mins away on the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Dublin Faro - Fri 07 Dec
    Faro Dublin - MOn Dec 10

total 75 euro.

*Blablabla Hostel
    Blablabla is actual name of this hostel - 10 euro per night x 3 = 30 euro

total 105 euro + food
    Seems like great value but what's the weather like at that time of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Same boat as me so, though we went to Wales for a week when I was 18. That was it until I was almost 26. Went to France for christmas 2005 with my now wife and again in 2007 and then in July last year we went to Portugal for our honeymoon. I loved it there. And apart from regular trips to England (wife is from there) thats all I've been to in 33 years. Though I hope to correct that in the next few years.

I've been in every county in Ireland (North and South) for at least a week each! The amount of people that don't know their own country is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I could never stay in a hostel. Do you have to share a bathroom with strangers? Nasty.
    Short budget trip.
    Not everyone need luxury.

point is to travel somewhere ....
    Seems like great value but what's the weather like at that time of the year?
    average tem is 16 *C

Didn't realise the ****ing queen of England was in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't ever leave your house. You may be forced to pee in these horrific things called "Public bathrooms" And don't think you can avoid them. They're everywhere in restaurants, cinemas pubs... You can't avoid them. Even in your own home you might have visitors who will use your bathroom. So it's best to do a Howard Hughes and store all your pee in bottles.

Besides, I've stayed in plenty of hostels. There are plenty of budget room options that have en suites.

Still, if a bathroom is your biggest worry, you're acting like a pussy.

Didn't realise the ****ing queen of England was in the house.
    Grayson wrote: »
    Don't ever leave your house. You may be forced to pee in these horrific things called "Public bathrooms" And don't think you can avoid them. They're everywhere in restaurants, cinemas pubs... You can't avoid them. Even in your own home you might have visitors who will use your bathroom. So it's best to do a Howard Hughes and store all your pee in bottles.

Besides, I've stayed in plenty of hostels. There are plenty of budget room options that have en suites.

Still, if a bathroom is your biggest worry, you're acting like a pussy.

Hostels are utterly sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

@OP. Ignore everyone who mentions the phrase "finding yourself". you'll notice that most of them are disparaging travelling. There are many people in this country who will never travel further than the next big town. They will always get defensive and try to rubbish travelling and make people who have been further than the next county sound pretentious.

There's lots of different people who travel and each have different motives. There are some who love sunshine, some who like short city breaks. Some who like travelling to the back end of nowhere and taking photo's of the natives. And yes, some are pretentious and some are ****. But most people are just people who like going somewhere different for anything from a few days to a few years (depending on their tastes). They're generally down to earth and just happy to be experiencing something a bit different. You won't find yourself, but your mind will be a little bit broader. Kinda like someone who'd only ever eaten Italian food who gets to try Indian. It's not mind blowing, but it's interesting :)

If you want to head somewhere (like Portugal) go to your local bookshop and buy the lonely planet for Portugal. Start flicking through it and decide what you'd like to see. I'd recommend Lisbon as opposed to the algarve. I've always felt that the algarve was the east end of london in the sun. But it's a big country with plenty to wander around.

Or you could even do what I do. Just pick a few days in the future. Look at a site like skyscanner and see where the cheapest return flights are. Look at a website like hostelworld or hotels.com or booking.com and check out accommodation (after sorting by price ;) ). Then book it. There's always plenty of options. It'll fit your budget and you'll find yourself thinking about going to places you'd never think of going to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement