Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

25 and never been abroad

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My cousin is 25 and he has only been outside Kerry twice once to the Ploughing in Carlow and another time to Croke Park to see Kerry in some match there. He has never been on a train either. I've offered to bring him along on trips to Europe before and he wouldn't budge. Some People....

I've been to 14 countries on four continents and spend a full month traveling each year and have been focusing primarily on Asia the last two years. The only county I have never been to is Derry and I've driven in three different countries both LHD and RHD cars. I swear since I first spread my wings five years ago and started exploring the world that it has been the best experience and education you could get tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I once flew to Liverpool for 9.99 and home for 1 cent.
    Time was aerlingus would have charged my maybe 500 pounds for that trip, so that's about 630 - 640 euros. But they'd have given me a cup of tea and a hang sangwhich, so they're fúcking marvelous.
    People who complain about ryanair are muppets in my book!

Yeah. I am a muppet. They stated one set of measurements for hand luggage, then had a completely different (smaller) maximum size (and shape for **** sake) when I got to the airport, and charged me €50 to bring the bag. But yeah that's fair enough I suppose.............:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

RADIUS wrote: »
    I flew to London for 12 euro and got the flight home for 5 euro with Ryanair, for that price, they can treat me like cattle anytime!

Personally I'd rather pay more. The price isn't an excuse, it costs nothing to treat people with respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Ryanair are nowhere near as cheap as they were, to be fair. I moved over here from the UK three years ago and when I first moved I could easily get a return trip home for a maximum of €20, which is crazy vlaue. Nowadays it's difficult to get the flight for less than €60. Don't get me wrong, that's still cheap but it's the same sort of price as Aer Lingus and a couple of other airlines offer so there's no longer any price incentive to fly Ryanair.

But Ryanair are a major reason why other airlines have had to cut their price and so long as you book your flight 6-8 weeks in advance, only take hand luggage (of the right size) and print your boarding card off before you get to the airport they've made travel to most of Europe relatively cheap and relatively easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Not even to the UK. Is that weird?

Not really! I'd say over half of America hasn't been outside their country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

You haven't lived until you've been to China to "find yourself".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

thomasj wrote: »
    Not really! I'd say over half of America hasn't been outside their country!

That's not really the same thing though considering the size and diversity of America. I'd have thought a fair chunk of Europeans won't have been outside of Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Stinicker wrote: »
    My cousin is 25 and he has only been outside Kerry twice once to the Ploughing in Carlow and another time to Croke Park to see Kerry in some match there. He has never been on a train either. I've offered to bring him along on trips to Europe before and he wouldn't budge. Some People....

I've been to 14 countries on four continents and spend a full month traveling each year and have been focusing primarily on Asia the last two years. The only county I have never been to is Derry and I've driven in three different countries both LHD and RHD cars. I swear since I first spread my wings five years ago and started exploring the world that it has been the best experience and education you could get tbh.

Whereabouts in Asia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Not having ever gone abroad does not as some may imply mean that you'll inherently mean that you'll be less intelligent due to lack of an expanded cultural environment. I know people in their thirties who've never left Ireland before and they're some of the most educated people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

cade wrote: »
    Not having ever gone abroad does not as some may imply mean that you'll inherently mean that you'll be less intelligent due to lack of an expanded cultural environment. I know people in their thirties who've never left Ireland before and they're some of the most educated people I know.

Of course that doesn't mean those people are intelligent just because they are educated! There are plenty of fools around with educations.

I think travel will do nothing much for some people and a lot for others. It depends on the individual. Doing your shoppping in a German supermarket for one hour and then going straight back to Ireland might give you a lifetime's worth of questions as to why Ireland is such a rip-off and how we can change things. It could launch a worthwhile political career. Spending two months travelling around Thailand shooting cows, riding prostitutes and finding yourself, by contrast, might do very little for your life overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hey! You could be onto something here. Start a trend or have your own reality TV show ....... held in the cabbage patch behind the septic tank. Do you get homesick as you go to work/sign on? If you do. you are the real thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

old hippy wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Asia?

Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Brunei. I should have been more specific and said South East Asia as its a pretty big place. I might do Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma in 2013 or else maybe the Philippines.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and Brunei. I should have been more specific and said South East Asia as its a pretty big place. I might do Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma in 2013 or else maybe the Philippines.

Impressive! I've been to a few places in East Asia - Japan, Taiwan, South Korea - I'd love to do Burma and Laos but being old and crumbly, I like my basic comforts

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlexReid

Oh, I remember very fondly putting on my first pair of tights and applying that first layer of mascara.

Can't believe that some men reach 25 and never been a broad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

AlexReid wrote: »
    Oh, I remember very fondly putting on my first pair of tights and applying that first layer of mascara.

Can't believe that some men reach 25 and never been a broad.

Has anyone got a running tally on the amount of times this joke has been made?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tuxy wrote: »
    Has anyone got a running tally on the amount of times this joke has been made?

Referring to it as a joke is really pushing it.:(

• Site Banned Posts: 46 eggwhitelad

why on earth have u not??

have u never worked or something??

Brace yourselve for the mid life crisis coming your way!

why on earth have u not??

have u never worked or something??

Brace yourselve for the mid life crisis coming your way!

There are plenty of people who have not gone abroad by the age of 25. They may well have been unemployed since leaving school or just may not have the yearning to explore. Yet.

I'm not sure what the mid life crisis reference means but for me, my travels really became meaningful and desirable when I hit my 30s. As I think I said before, I had travelled before then but it didn't become an essential part of me until I hit the aforementioned age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

Meh, tbh. I just hit 27 and have never "travelled". My last holiday was nearly 5 years ago. I can honestly say if I never had another holiday for the rest of my life it wouldn't bother me. Personally I have no desire to travel or stay in dingy hostels or any of the stuff that comes with it. I have no problem with people who do travel, each to their own. But don't spew it in my face as if you are somehow better than me. You are not.

Maybe I will change, but I really don't think so. I'm not some shut in, I'm a regular 20 something guy with a job, a car, friends and hobbies. I just don't have any interest in travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Weird??...No

Sad??...A little

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    Meh, tbh. I just hit 27 and have never "travelled". My last holiday was nearly 5 years ago. I can honestly say if I never had another holiday for the rest of my life it wouldn't bother me. Personally I have no desire to travel or stay in dingy hostels or any of the stuff that comes with it. I have no problem with people who do travel, each to their own. But don't spew it in my face as if you are somehow better than me. You are not.

Maybe I will change, but I really don't think so. I'm not some shut in, I'm a regular 20 something guy with a job, a car, friends and hobbies. I just don't have any interest in travelling.

Nobody is forcing you to stay in dingy hostels or spewing anything in your face.

It's all about widening one's perspective and to an extent, maturing. And I don't mean that in a smug or patronising way. I like to think travel has matured me. :)

When I was in primary school we had a very good treacher for 4th& 5th class (back in 1989/1990). Really interesting and very much broadened our minds and cultivated interests in all of us that we have today. Literature, history, nature, politics. He was very good. He is about 61-62 and took early retirement last year.

Now this amazed us, he flew to Derry a 2-3 years ago for a teaching conference....it transpired that this was his first time ever on a plane and furthermore he had never left Ireland....!!!!

For someone who was so interesting and knowledgable...this was incredible. We were all gobsmacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Elessar

old hippy wrote: »
    Nobody is forcing you to stay in dingy hostels or spewing anything in your face.

It's all about widening one's perspective and to an extent, maturing. And I don't mean that in a smug or patronising way. I like to think travel has matured me. :)

I was referring to the posters on this thread who were defacto mocking other people who don't travel. As if travelling is some kind of badge of honour.

It's good to hear that it has matured you. But you don't need to do that in order to feel the same. I have matured quite a bit myself over the last few years but it had nothing to do with travelling :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sure if he came to Derry then he would have finally seen it all.

Weird??...No

Sad??...A little

so true

Elessar wrote: »
    I was referring to the posters on this thread who were defacto mocking other people who don't travel. As if travelling is some kind of badge of honour.

It's good to hear that it has matured you. But you don't need to do that in order to feel the same. I have matured quite a bit myself over the last few years but it had nothing to do with travelling :)

That's true. I know plenty of idiots who went 'travelling' and came back even bigger idiots. As if being stoned on a beach in Thailand for 6 months is the bees knees.

Thinking about some of the gob****es pissed up in Irish bars in Sydney or Boston (of course a minority and not all like that) in their GAA jerseys. That is not something to aspire to.

That's true. I know plenty of idiots who went 'travelling' and came back even bigger idiots. As if being stoned on a beach in Thailand for 6 months is the bees knees.

Thinking about some of the gob****es pissed up in Irish bars in Sydney or Boston (of course a minority and not all like that) in their GAA jerseys. That is not something to aspire to.

I know i was in oz for a year im a dub so wearing gaa jerseys for me...

Not the biggest fan of travelling too much of a home bird but love holidays how can anyone not

And not being abroad at 25 is disgusting

missing out

I know i was in oz for a year im a dub so wearing gaa jerseys for me...

Not the biggest fan of travelling too much of a home bird but love holidays how can anyone not

And not being abroad at 25 is disgusting

missing out

But sure Dublin is the centre of the world...???;)

Oh, gosh, no. That wouldn't appeal at all. I go for the sights, the smells, the people, the food, the temples - that kind of thing. We do check out at least one "Irish" bar for the hell of it. A kind of irony thing, if you like :)

This was my fave

http://kyotoirish.com/eg/wp1/?page_id=281

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

25 and never been a broad? don't worry about it dude. sex-changes aren't for everyone.

25 and never been a broad? don't worry about it dude. sex-changes aren't for everyone.

Does this joke get better everytime it crops up? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

Not weird. Unusual or uncommon perhaps, but not weird.

You should really try it though. There are some amazing things to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wouldn't find it strange at all, I was lucky enough to be brought on foreign holidays in my youth. Without my parents paying for everything obviously I couldn't have racked up the numbers of countries I got to visit.

If you have an inclination for travel then go do it, you're only 25, you're still very young..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not as weird as only recently wearing a seatbelt, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement