Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ketchup, press or fridge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Yes eggs should be stored in the fridge, but possibly taken out in advance depending on their use.

<fridge expert

Hardly, you were talking about putting ketchup in there earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

unkel wrote: »
    Plenty of products are sold off a shelf in the shop, but need to be kept in the fridge once opened
    Osborne wrote: »
    You keep your open mayonnaise in the press?

What do you think people do? Open everything when they get home and then put it in the cupboard? For the love of muppetry talk aboot stating the obvious.

If we take some tinned tuna out of the cupboard (where it will happily sit for months) and mix it with a bit of mayonnaise are we really going to put what we haven't used back in the cupboard? No we wont. We will put what hasn't been used in the fridge.

The fail is returned with interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

In the bin and replaced with HP.

HP is the only sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Ketchup in the fridge

Brown Sauce in the press

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Why are we still arguing?

It says on the bloody bottle to store it in the fridge.

LET THE KETCHUP GO HOME YOU MONSTERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Why are we still arguing?

It says on the bloody bottle to store it in the fridge.

LET THE KETCHUP GO HOME YOU MONSTERS

Pssshhhh. Next thing you'll be telling us to strictly abide to the best before dates on food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

That's what your elbow is for!

Is it weird that I use my feet?? :/
    People look at me weird when I do that.
    Not while wearing a skirt of course though.

I used to be one of you normal people.
    Grew up with it being in the press.
    But when I moved in with my boyfriend, he'd always put it in the fridge, then I'd take it out and put it in the press, then he'd take it out and put it in the fridge etc...
    Somewhere along the line I seem to have given in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Is it weird that I use my feet?? :/
    People look at me weird when I do that.
    Not while wearing a skirt of course though.

I use my face, normally my chin.

I wouldn't be able to keep my balance if I used my foot.

• Advertisement

mauzo wrote: »

I wouldn't be able to keep my balance if I used my foot.

Yeah, I use my face if I'm wearing a skirt or holding the baby actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rantandrave

Fridge Door is where it has to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to be one of you normal people.
    Grew up with it being in the press.
    But when I moved in with my boyfriend, he'd always put it in the fridge, then I'd take it out and put it in the press, then he'd take it out and put it in the fridge etc...
    Somewhere along the line I seem to have given in.

Horror stories!! I live in a different country than my boyfriend and I give out to him for what he keeps in the fridge!

The mi wadi does not need to be in there if the water jug is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

mauzo wrote: »

Did that once. Nearly lost a tooth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Horror stories!! I live in a different country than my boyfriend and I give out to him for what he keeps in the fridge!

A full fridge uses less electricity though, so pile everything into the fridge, and then pad it up with pillows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Warm chips dont deserve cold ketchup, oh the humanity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

only mad people keep it in the fridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Actually you should always keep a fridge as full as you can. If you don't have enough food to keep it stocked up, then bung in some bottles of water or something. The more objects in a fridge the less energy it uses. Your boyfriend is being smart and responsible.

Also eggs should definitely be kept in a fridge as they stay fresh for 5-7 times longer when refrigerated. (You test the freshness of eggs by putting them in a bowl of water. If they sink they are fresh. If the point tilts upward you can still eat them, but should do so asap. And if they float, get rid.)

And ketchup is much nicer when kept in the fridge. If you don't like it cold you can always squirt some in a little dish 15 minutes before you eat it. It gets a tainted taste if it's stored in a press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Nothing worse than cold ketchup :mad:, press ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Ketchup contains a good amount of Vinegar. The acidity will allow it to sit on your table for weeks before it risks going bad in the relative temperate Irish environment. In my experience, American Ketchup seems less sugary and more vinegary than Irish and UK versions. Some European ketchup is far too sweet for me, and I consider myself as having a sweet tooth. I can't hardly stand how sickly sweet brown sauce is.

If you are in a warmer climate, and you take a long while emptying a bottle of ketchup, then you may want to refrigerate it after a fashion. The labeling is to represent a wide range of environmental conditions that ketchup might encounter.

http://www.heinzketchup.com/FAQ.aspx - it's the seventh answer down on that FAQ.

I might add that I have a bottle of DelMonte Catsup here(I prefer it to Heinz) and it has no statement of whether to refrigerate or not on it.

As a preference, I am not fond of cold ketchup. For the last 4 decades of my life, much of which was in hot and humid Texas, ketchup has been left out of the fridge in my household and I can't say it's bothered me any as far as I am aware.

Mayonnaise we've always placed in the fridge, tho. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Fridge - bottle facing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

you should do the same poll for eggs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

The whole idea of keeping stuff like ketchup and mayo in the fridge was invented by food companies to make you think they're more "natural". There's so much acid in ketchup and mayo that no feckin bacteria would ever survive in it so you can happily keep them all in the press where they belong without any fear at all of Edwina Curry gettin you with the salma nella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The mother always kept it in the fridge and I've always done the same too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Fridge Door is where it has to go...

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Timata ketchup is so full of sugars and vinegar that it's probably a hostile environment for mould and germs so can be kept in the cupboard/press with little risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Am I the only one who keeps their ketchup down the back of the rad. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I always keep the Kandee in the press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

People who put ketchup in the fridge are serial killers. fact.

may or may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if I've got hot chips, why would I want to mix them with ice-cold ketchup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Am I the only one who keeps their ketchup down the back of the rad. :confused:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yes you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Press until its open and then fridge until its empty, then bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

if I've got hot chips, why would I want to mix them with ice-cold ketchup?
    'cause it's good?
    Do you not like hot fudge sauce on ice cream? How about some nice cold cream in piping hot coffee?
    shelf till it's opened then refrigerate. Do you have problems following directions too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

FRIDGE- no question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Junk_Mail

Press!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Press for me too.

Dont like it when its all really cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

iguana wrote: »
    And ketchup is much nicer when kept in the fridge.

Well, this is purely a matter of opinion. I've never got a tainted taste off ketchup stored in a press.

As said by someone earlier in the thread, in Ireland there is no need to keep ketchup in the fridge. They tell you to refrigerate on the label but that's just food companies covering themselves, TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Always kept it in the press, but converted last year to putting it in the fridge. Have never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Fridge of course..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

press.

• Advertisement

Promac wrote: »
    The whole idea of keeping stuff like ketchup and mayo in the fridge was invented by food companies to make you think they're more "natural". There's so much acid in ketchup and mayo that no feckin bacteria would ever survive in it so you can happily keep them all in the press where they belong without any fear at all of Edwina Curry gettin you with the salma nella.

But both ketchup and mayo are terrible at room temp, cold ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If you buy something out of a fridge in the shop then it goes in the fridge at home.

If you buy something out of a freezer in the shop then it goes in the freezer at home.

If you buy something off a shelf in the shop then it goes in the cupboard at home.

So they say.

thats OK til you open it, but it'll keep longer once opened in the fridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

If you buy something out of a fridge in the shop then it goes in the fridge at home.

If you buy something out of a freezer in the shop then it goes in the freezer at home.

If you buy something off a shelf in the shop then it goes in the cupboard at home.

So they say.

:eek:

nope, thats not really good system at all.

some things explicitly say, "refrigerate after opening".

once the seal is broken, then bacteria can start to cultivate at a pretty high rate and the food can spoil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Ketchup should be stored in the fridge,
    I have personally seen a squeezy bottle explode
    all over a customer once as it was kept in a cupboard
    and the sugar inside apparently fermented in the heat...(it was 7 months within date) and when
    the customer flipped the lid it just went kaboom..over her and about 4 people.
    manager didnt like the cleaning bill:-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Ketchup must always be kept in the fridge. The heat causes the ketchup to turn into a watery liquid with a disgusting taste. This liquidy ketchup as I call it is enough to completely ruin your dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Well, this is purely a matter of opinion. I've never got a tainted taste off ketchup stored in a press.

As said by someone earlier in the thread, in Ireland there is no need to keep ketchup in the fridge. They tell you to refrigerate on the label but that's just food companies covering themselves, TBH.

What are you basing that on? Companies will put extensive research into their product and how it deteriorates over time stored at different temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

corktina wrote: »
    thats OK til you open it, but it'll keep longer once opened in the fridge...

Longer than what, years? Has anybody ever had ketchup that has gone off!? :confused: I keep it in the press as I don't need to keep it in the fridge, it doesn't spoil easily/is acidic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? Companies will put extensive research into their product and how it deteriorates over time stored at different temperatures.

The fact that it contains a lot of vinegar and other preservatives, and is acidic.

The fact that we live in a temperate climate.

The fact that, in practice, I have never noticed ketchup deteriorate in quality when kept in a press or well past the use by date.

And companies ARE hugely overly cautious with use by dates, this is undeniable. The main foodstuffs with which one should practice caution are dairy, fish and meat products and even then, I tend to go by sight and smell, not the use by date.

Companies also put extensive research into how not to get sued. ;) And want their products bought with regularity. They want you to buy new ketchup after 8 weeks, not 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i keep the ketchup in the press, never had any go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Assuming most ketchup is used to accompany hot food, why would folks put something chilled on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

well this is from the Heinz website (im studying for exams, and here i am googling about ketchup.... :eek:)

appears to be no harm in shelving your red stuff
    Q: Do I need to refrigerate Ketchup?
    A: Because of its natural acidity, Heinz® Ketchup is shelf-stable. However, its stability after opening can be affected by storage conditions. We recommend that this product, like any processed food, be refrigerated after opening. Refrigeration will maintain the best product quality after opening.

personally, i keep it refrigerated because i like it better when its cold, more of a contrast in textures and sensations with hot food, also handy for cooling a scalding chip.

many heinz ketchup connoisseurs may disagree, but tis a matter of preference it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement