Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street light tripping my house

Options
  • 31-10-2012 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, this is going to sound strange but here are the facts.

During October each year the street lights in our estate switch to coming on early when the evenings get dark.

Between 17:05 and 17:08 everyday all the sockets in my house trip out. Within the next 20 to 30 secs the street lights on our street come on. This is everyday, every single day. Obviously there is a huge inconvenience for us when we are in the house but also a huge worry when we are away as fridge's defrost etc.

I need help. It is too much of a coincidence for anyone to dismiss this as not being related to the light coming on but funny enough it does not happen during the summer time months when the lights come on later. And also it is only my house that is effected on the road.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and advice on who to contact for resolution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Later on, turn off all your power at 5pm (a few minutes before you expect the lights to come on, noting that they will come on a few minutes earlier each day heading into winter). Wait and see if the street lights come on.

If they don't, you are paying for the street lights.

If they do, there seems to be some surge issue and you should contact the ESB, not Electric Ireland, explaining the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Victor wrote: »
    Later on, turn off all your power at 5pm (a few minutes before you expect the lights to come on, noting that they will come on a few minutes earlier each day heading into winter). Wait and see if the street lights come on.

If they don't, you are paying for the street lights.

If they do, there seems to be some surge issue and you should contact the ESB, not Electric Ireland, explaining the situation.

In that case, when the street lights are on, turn off the main S/W fuse at the distribution board. If the outside lights go off then they are supplied from the board, personally I've never seen this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

IPAM wrote: »

In that case, when the street lights are on, turn off the main S/W fuse at the distribution board. If the outside lights go off then they are supplied from the board, personally I've never seen this though.

Yes but wouldn't it be the case then if when the board is tripped the street lights would not turn on. Strange I know when my neighbour switches on there shower (walls are made of cardboard lol) the lights in my house go dim do be sitting watching telly and the lights would go dim one minute and bright the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep, reading again that would be the case

Fire this up on the electrical forum, they'd probably be able to give the OP more info

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stemanic

Thanks guys, I'll try turning off the power tonight and reply back with what happens. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Stemanic,

I contacted ESB Networks regarding your query and they said a likely scenario is there might be a circuit/ELCB fault.

The people to contact regarding street lighting now are usually Airtricity Utility Solutions rather than ESB Networks. Or your local authority.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stemanic

Thank you so much Una. I'll do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

No problem!

Advertisement