Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud Fans

Options
  • 31-10-2012 4:15am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm using an i5 3450 with the stock fan on an ASRock H77 Pro 4. The fans seem to be extremely loud, do you have any suggestions for fixing this? Is an aftermarket cooler the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Adjust the fan speed in asrock extreme tuner. I find the stock cooler very quiet. Are you sure its not your psu/case fans#graphics card making the noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can use SpeedFan to control the speed of your CPU fan & any other fan that is plugged into a fan header on your motherboard.
    I use this for my CPU fan as for some reason it always spins at 100% without using SpeedFan, but there is some problem with my motherboard, the fan should only spin up when things get hot.

After that as spix mentioned it might not be your CPU fan at all. In my system the loudest thing at idle is the HDD, at first I thought it was the PSU but in actual fact the HDD is sending vibrations throughout the whole case and it echos like it's in a cave or something. Easy way to check this is unplug the HDD if you have a boot SSD and see if the noise is lower/gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Asrock usually have some decent enough settings in their BIOS/UEFI menu.

You can set target speeds for the CPU and case fans.

As Fluffy mentioned, you can usually control the speed of case fans if they're plugged into the headers on the motherboard. You could probably do this with Asrock's BIOS menu. Don't connect a fan to both a motherboard header and a molex connector!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Did a bit of missing around inside and found that the fan was clipping its own cable ever so slightly. Moved it about and it's fine now. Cheers for the suggestions though. What temps do you normally aim for on your CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

50°C or so should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

on a 3450, I'd set the target speed to 1 and the target temp to 70°C in the bios. with those it will almost never spin up and will still be completely safe for day to day usage.

Advertisement