Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC installation - any tips?

• 31-10-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi. I've ordered UPC broadband & phone, it will be a first installation in the house so the cable point needs to be wired. Any suggestions on things to do/avoid when the installer is here? Am not a fan of visible wires or cable trunking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

they'll run a cable down your house usually by a drain pipe, drill a hole - run it through into the livingroom and install a UPC point on the inside wall and connect the modem to it.
    that's more or less it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Put it near your tv. You may get TV from them at some stage, and a point relocation or new point is €60

• Registered Users Posts: 18 martin27

Thanks guys, seems straightforward. Keeping it near TV also makes sense for Sky box which we are keeping for now.

I was planning to put it where my current router/modem and main PC are which is at the opposite end of the house. It has taken some time to get wireless coverage right, there seem to be a few RSJs around blocking signal. A friend has suggested (like yourselves) putting main point near TV, then using ethernet over mains to provide link to existing wireless router and using it to extend coverage. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Yep, perfect sence. That should work by adjusting a few settings on the network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

mark17j wrote: »
    they'll run a cable down your house usually by a drain pipe, drill a hole - run it through into the livingroom and install a UPC point on the inside wall and connect the modem to it.
    that's more or less it.

Do customers have a choice on this?
    I would rather have it run into a (converted) attic space & distribute it via
    the internal co-ax to the rooms.

If they only allow one connection point, will they connect it to existing
    co-ax that feeds a downstairs TV?

Just realized this is about phone & broadband, but assume it's all on the same cable from
    outside, so what I'd like to have the following:-

UPC cable into attic space.
    Phone connected to internal phone wiring routed to another room.
    TV routed to a downstairs TV point.
    Broadband connected to an Ethernet switch in the attic.

I'm hoping they will allow this, I don't want any unnecessary drilling to take place.
    House is freshly renovated & has wiring in place for all services.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

gerryo wrote: »

Do customers have a choice on this?
    I would rather have it run into a (converted) attic space & distribute it via
    the internal co-ax to the rooms.

If they only allow one connection point, will they connect it to existing
    co-ax that feeds a downstairs TV?

Just realized this is about phone & broadband, but assume it's all on the same cable from
    outside, so what I'd like to have the following:-

UPC cable into attic space.
    Phone connected to internal phone wiring routed to another room.
    TV routed to a downstairs TV point.
    Broadband connected to an Ethernet switch in the attic.

I'm hoping they will allow this, I don't want any unnecessary drilling to take place.
    House is freshly renovated & has wiring in place for all services.
    No they won't do this...
    But you can do it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sometimes there can be an insurance issue with going into attics, I think... but not sure on the UPC policies. I had an issue with sky when I had to run everything into the attic I ended up doing most of it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 18 martin27

martin27 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, seems straightforward. Keeping it near TV also makes sense for Sky box which we are keeping for now.

I was planning to put it where my current router/modem and main PC are which is at the opposite end of the house. It has taken some time to get wireless coverage right, there seem to be a few RSJs around blocking signal. A friend has suggested (like yourselves) putting main point near TV, then using ethernet over mains to provide link to existing wireless router and using it to extend coverage. Does this make sense?

Guys, that all worked really well, many thanks. As a BTW for others, the networking over mains worked an absolute treat. Bought a TP-LINK PA211 kit and, like it said on the box, it was plug and play. Very helpful to get the most out of the broadband speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC ran it through our eave and into the attic then down to a drop. This is a bungalow so maybe we're the exception but the 2 installers had no problem going up there.

Advertisement