Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prague- January 2013

• 31-10-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend were thinking of going to Prague for 4 nights in January. I'm just wondering if anyone has any information as to the weather/ accommodation or things to do in the city. I don't know if 5 days is too long in a city like Prague ? Any advice would be great !

Also, is it an expensive city to eat / drink/ travel around ?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

amarno wrote: »
    Hi,

Myself and my boyfriend were thinking of going to Prague for 4 nights in January. I'm just wondering if anyone has any information as to the weather/ accommodation or things to do in the city. I don't know if 5 days is too long in a city like Prague ? Any advice would be great !

Thanks

Watch the taxis they are absolute gangsters there, AAA Taxis are about the best (of a bad lot) but it is best to use Public transport where possible. It will be cold in January. There is lots of Clip Joints there so never follow a taxi drivers advice or canvassers on the streets with offers of cheap drinks etc. that drink for a few Koruna could turn into a €300 bar tab with offers to beat you up if you don't pay it.

A lovely city but just take some precautions there if you want to avoid getting scammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's ok to take a taxi but negotiate the fare before you get in. The meters are permanently 'out of order'. It will be very cold in January, the average Jan. high/low is 0/-5 so bring good shoes as you will be walking on snow and slush.

Bring local (Koruna) currency as you will be royally ripped off if you try to pay in Euros, this happens in all east European cities. People working in bars and on ticket desks at tourists attractions typically have their own 'unofficial' exchange rates which make the bureau du change people in airports look like Santa Claus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

im actually looking for a little info on Prague aswell.
    I'm heading over for a weekend in a few weeks time and needing to book a hotel.

I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a hotel thats not right in the centre of the nightlife. I dont want to be too far away from it either. a 5/10 minute walk would be ideal. Looking for a modern 4/5 star hotel.

thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 2 ericalandon

amarno wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

I visited Prague last month - it's a great city, but five days to far too long. You will see most of Prague in two days, three days tops

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lydiac

I would say 3 days would be perfect.
    I was there last year and found the place quite cheap and easily accessible by the underground although keep your eyes peeled for pick pockets.
    The walking tour was amazing, around 4 hours and you get to see loads. Charles bridge is also a must so pretty :) prague castle also a must!!
    I found the nightlife amazing, went on 2 pubcrawls and were both satisfying although the one that ends up in the 5 story club is probably the best!!

Happy Travels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sansovina

Hi,

I am also thinking of going to Prague but in February with my boufirend. I have been there more than 10 years ago and always wanted to go back. A beautiful city! But I am sure a lot has changed, especially since it began to be one of the IReland & UK top stag/hen destinations...

I still hope for a nice time over there, and hopefully some snow! I will be staying there for 2-3 nights, but beforehand I am planning to go to Spindleruv Mlyn for 2 days for skiing, very beginners skiing tho:-) it's only 2,5 hours from Prague, so we will try.

Regarding accommodation, I am looking at airbnb.com instead of hotels. It will make it much more interesting, cheaper and with a personal ''touch''. I heard many great reviews about airbnb and know people who use it regularly as guests and hosts.

How is your travel organizing going by the way? All planned?

Advertisement